Missed offer - chance to still get in Watch

Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey,

Only answer please if you know someone who has been in a similar situation (IB only). thanks

How big is the chance that if you missed your offer for Oxford, they still let you in?

E.g., you had to have 38 points and a 7 in two related subjects to what you want to study. You now get over 38 points, but get a 7 and a 6 in those subjects. (Yes this is what happened to me )
Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh I missed my offer too..sorta
But I sorta have mitigating circumstances so tomorrow I plan to beg.

I know this isn't constructive but you aren't the only one in your situation =)
*hugs*
FutureEconomist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Donald Duck)
Hey,

Only answer please if you know someone who has been in a similar situation (IB only). thanks

How big is the chance that if you missed your offer for Oxford, they still let you in?

E.g., you had to have 38 points and a 7 in two related subjects to what you want to study. You now get over 38 points, but get a 7 and a 6 in those subjects. (Yes this is what happened to me )
Three of my friends (maybe more...) have missed IB Oxford offers this year.

Last year one girl missed a Cambridge offer. She needed 42 with 7s in 3 languages. She got 43 but 766 in languages. They made her wait 'til A-Level results day, then let her in.

I think you should just pray! You might get in, but it depends how others on your course have done.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
(Original post by FutureEconomist)
Three of my friends (maybe more...) have missed IB Oxford offers this year.

Last year one girl missed a Cambridge offer. She needed 42 with 7s in 3 languages. She got 43 but 766 in languages. They made her wait 'til A-Level results day, then let her in.

I think you should just pray! You might get in, but it depends how others on your course have done.
What subject did she apply for?

And did any of those 3 friends apply for engineering?
lcc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a friend of mine missed his cambridge offer for engineering two years ago. he needed 38 points with 7s in physics and maths, and got 37, 7, 5 respectively. he called them and then sent off a stack of awards and prizes and stuff hed won after receiving the offer (including proof that hed represented finland in the math olympiad to show that the 5 was a total **** up), and eventually still got the place...

im sorry you missed your offer, hope you get it sorted... best of luck.
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I narrowly missed my offer for Medicine at SGUL, they wanted 32 with 665 at HL and 555 at SL, I got 38 with 655 at HL, they made me wait until A-level results day when they told me that I was third in line on the waiting list should people decline their offers, unluckily the uni didn't use the waiting list as places had been filled so they deferred my offer as unconditional for the following year (2008). Still got in, only I got the gap year I secretly wanted mwahah =P
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wait - Have IB got there results all-ready ?
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Wait - Have IB got there results all-ready ?
yeh thats what i was thinkin
even tho im not even takin IB lol.
trm90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yer we got them today
ladylish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From what I understand with missing offers on the IB, most of the time the unis seem to make you wait until the A level results come out. If all their A level people accept and meet their conditional offers, then even if you only missed your offer by one condition (maybe you mssed the overall grade by a point, or got 765 when they wanted 766 at higher) they can't fairly let you in.

Places like Oxbridge will be oversubscribed, so it's unlikely anyone will decline a place at this point, so you just have to wait until the A levels are released to see if not all the A level lot made their grades and if the uni therefore has places for people who narrowly missed their offers.

Good luck, though. And I'd ring them asap.
mml
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my offer was 34 and HL 666. I got 36 and HL 764
so i missed my offer by 2 points in one of my HL subjects, even though I exceeded in my overall score and one subject.

i was made to wait until A level results day, then got rejected.
the reason the admissions officer gave was that many of the A level applicants met their offers.

so as ladylish said, it depends on whether your course is oversubscribed and how many A level applicants meet their offers
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
Just wondering... how do you guys 'interpret' the conditions of this offer?

"This offer is also subject to your obtaining IB a total of 36 points including Chemistry with a score of 6 at HL, Maths at HL and Physics at SL. Grade 6 in Biology"

Is it saying 36 overall, with 6,6,6 in HLS and 6 in SL Physics.... or just 6 in HL Chem, but need to just have Maths HL, Physics SL and a 6 in Bio...?

Perhaps a lame question... but upon reading the conditions, the way it is presented kind of made me wonder.. mhm..

btw. I got 775 for my HLs and overall 39 pts (not including bonus points). Do I still have a chance if the first interpretation is correct?
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
I understand the lower interpretation, but I'd probably would've asked my guidance counsellor by now. Anyway, let's get back to the original subject. I'd like to keep this thread just if you have experience with Oxford (maybe Cambridge too), as they are very peculiar universities so might do things differently.

The head of my school is calling them today, you think I should be doing anything?

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
I've got an update, my head of school has called them now and I'll be decided over by some special committee. So let's hope for the best.
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
Best of luck Donald. =)
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Thanks
apatel90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Oh I missed my offer too..sorta
But I sorta have mitigating circumstances so tomorrow I plan to beg.

I know this isn't constructive but you aren't the only one in your situation =)
*hugs*
i missed my offer for hyms they wanted a six in bio and chem and i got a six in chem and a five in bio so i was just wondering when you call to beg what are you going to say? im an international student so im hoping the prospect of extra cash will make them lean towards accepting me.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by apatel90)
i missed my offer for hyms they wanted a six in bio and chem and i got a six in chem and a five in bio so i was just wondering when you call to beg what are you going to say? im an international student so im hoping the prospect of extra cash will make them lean towards accepting me.
I called them today. They say that they're going to look into it.
Just call them up and explain your situation.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
(Original post by apatel90)
If that's an issue, I could always get my dad to donate

(I'm an international too btw)
Espy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A friend of mine scored a 37 even though she needed 38. They instantly accepted her anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (435)
37.6%
No - but I will (88)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
47.88%

Watched Threads