Climate change: ‘Clear and unequivocal’ emergency, say scientists Watch

z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AJ126y)
Yes but the laws of physics unlike politics or economics are non-negotiable.
What is negotiable is the assumptions you have to factor into every model, at the end of it there are so many variables and such a wide margin of error that all a climate model will tell us is... that the climate just won't be what the model predicts unless by pure chance. That is also what makes them open to producing whatever conclusion the funding of it all would like you to produce. Has anyone ever heard of the Ozone emergency, it was feared we would all be cooked by radiation but thankfully that was a model that seems to have been forgotten by now and we didn't have to stop using fridges to save the planet.
Last edited by z-hog; 3 weeks ago
username4977980
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
What is negotiable is the assumptions you have to factor into every model, at the end of it there are so many variables and such a wide margin of error that all a climate model will tell us is... that the climate just won't be what the model predicts unless by pure chance. That is also what makes them open to producing whatever conclusion the funding of it all would like you to produce. Has anyone ever heard of the Ozone emergency, it was feared we would all be cooked by radiation but thankfully that was a model that seems to have been forgotten by now and we didn't have to stop using fridges to save the planet.
Hmmm and I assume you know better than the scientists who've made it their life's work to work out said variables? Everyone's heard of the ozone thing. It wasn't just forgotten either. Chemist's came up with an alternative product which doesn't harm the ozone layer which is why you can still use fridges. You'd know this if you actually did a little research instead of just assuming everything's one big conspiracy.
MonkeyChunks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AJ126y)
Hmmm and I assume you know better than the scientists who've made it their life's work to work out said variables? Everyone's heard of the ozone thing. It wasn't just forgotten either. Chemist's came up with an alternative product which doesn't harm the ozone layer which is why you can still use fridges. You'd know this if you actually did a little research instead of just assuming everything's one big conspiracy.
Since the transition of a boundary layer from laminar to turbulent flow can not be modelled, how do you think the entire atmosphere/ocean system can be?

Scientists dont know. OK?
Ellie__99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Strong words from the scientific community and yet so many (especially that fatuous orange prig) seem to doubt them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50302392
We all need to make a change. Every positive change makes a difference! Easy ways are recycling, reducing waste and using reusable products- I use a reusable coffee cup and water bottle. I also donate to 'MyTrees' who plant and protect trees with Conservation International. Such an easy way to help protect the environment and combat climate change! Here's their website: http://bit.ly/My-Trees
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
because consensus means truth in science
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
All this fomented by people who are useless at dealing with anything a bit more challenging on the ground, of course it helps them if everyone is made to look up to the clouds instead of what goes on around them. For instance, right now we are having to check every building in this country to make sure it hasn't been clad in flammable material after passing all the control and quality checks imposed by an army of bureaucrats, technocrats and other forms of prats whose job is to make sure that never happens. Yeah, we can't even deal with something that simple but we're going to save the planet alright.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by josh75)
because consensus means truth in science
For a start science doesnt concern itself with 'truth' and consensus means nothing.

It was once consensus that tectonic plates didnt exist.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by MonkeyChunks)
For a start science doesnt concern itself with 'truth' and consensus means nothing.

Hmm... what are your qualifications?
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Hmm... what are your qualifications?
What are yours?

Learn something: Science Is Not About the Truth; It's About Building Models
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I saw a wind turbine yesterday, it's massive and by the M25. Standing some 100 feet tall and powering away when there is some wind, an unmissable reminder to thousands of people every day of the climatic challenge. They do dice thousands of birds in the process but we can't please everybody, the RSPB will surely agree the planet is a more pressing priority.

i managed to see it because thingy is all lit up so it can be seen by everyone even after dark, which makes me hope it generates enough power to make itself visible like that. It is a sight but whether it is energy-conscious or just a tokenistic enterprise for the benefit of the land owner I couldn't tell.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
What are yours?

Learn something: Science Is Not About the Truth; It's About Building Models
I knew that particular bit already, commented on such models at the top of the page. You know I was jesting, I hope.
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Firslty science does concern itself with truth, what do you think empirical scientific method is trying to find. Also I was being sarcastic obviously consensus in science is not held up as something that proves a claims scientific veracity.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by josh75)
Firslty science does concern itself with truth, what do you think empirical scientific method is trying to find. Also I was being sarcastic obviously consensus in science is not held up as something that proves a claims scientific veracity.
Science Isn't About 'the Truth'—It's About Building Models
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
What exactly is the problem with using models? You either come up with a model and verify it using experimental data or fit a model to a known set of experimental data. Newton's Law is a model and one that is effective for everyday physics. We improved that model with Einstein's relativity equations for planetary motion. You need models.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (96)
19.28%
Labour (248)
49.8%
Liberal Democrats (64)
12.85%
Green Party (30)
6.02%
Brexit Party (6)
1.2%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.6%
SNP (10)
2.01%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.6%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.2%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)