Dinner party inspirations, quick! Watch

gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'd really appreciate suggestions for a three course dinner party (starter, main, after) peferably with a theme of some kind.
Sometimes l do cooking with a couple of people who really know their stuff about food and usually they come up with the ideas and l just help, but this time l've been challenged to find the Idea and can't think of anything. This has to be fairly sophisticated (one of these people is a retired chef and the other is a dinner party genius), but achievable.
Any thoughts very gratefully recieved!!!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any dietary requirements?

Ok, the following are incredibly easy. They are all in season too, which I feel is important when cooking.

Starter:

Salmon Ceviche
Serves 4

Ingredients

* 300g salmon fillet, skinned
* 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
* 1 spring onion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
* 1 fat garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
* Small handful of coriander leaves, shredded
* Small handful of mixed cress (optional)

Dressing

* Juice of 1 lemon
* 2 tbsp light soy sauce
* 2 tbsp sesame oil
* Drizzle of olive oil
* Sea salt and black pepper
* Pinch of caster sugar

1. For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together, season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.

2. Place the salmon fillet in the freezer for 10 minutes. Slice the salmon thinly and arrange on serving plates, overlapping the slices very slightly. Scatter over the red chilli, spring onion and garlic. Spoon over the dressing and leave to marinate for 5–10 minutes.

3. Scatter the coriander over the ceviche to serve and garnish with mixed cress if you like.

Main:

Baked Lamb with Rosemary with Redcurrant and Mint Sauce

Serves 6

1 x 4-4 ½ lb (1.8-2 kg) leg of lamb
2 level tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus 1 sprig of rosemary
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
10 fl oz (275 ml) dry white wine
½ level teaspoon sea salt
freshly milled black pepper

For the sauce:

3 level tablespoons good-quality redcurrant jelly
4 level tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C).

You will also need a roasting tin.

First of all, crush the garlic and sea salt together to a purée, using a pestle and mortar, then add the oil, chopped rosemary and a good seasoning of pepper and mix well. Next, spread a large sheet of foil over the roasting tin, place the lamb on it and stab the fleshy parts of the joint several times with a skewer. Now spread the rosemary mixture all over the upper surface of the lamb and tuck in a sprig of rosemary (as this makes a nice garnish later).

Then bring the edges of the foil up over the lamb, make a pleat in the top and scrunch in the ends. This foil parcel should be fairly loose to allow the air to circulate. Bake the lamb for 2 hours, then open out the foil, baste the joint well with the juices and return it to the oven for a further 30 minutes to brown. The above cooking time should result in lamb very slightly pink: you can cook it for more or less time, as you prefer.

Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the redcurrant jelly and vinegar in a small saucepan and whisking over a gentle heat, till the jelly melts into the vinegar (a balloon whisk does this perfectly). Then add the chopped mint and some seasoning and pour into a jug – the sauce doesn't need to be warm.

When the lamb is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Discard the foil, spoon off the fat and make some gravy with the juices left in the tin: add the white wine, stir and let it bubble until it has become syrupy. Season with salt and pepper if it needs it and pour into a warmed serving jug.

Dessert:

Summer fruit mess

Ingredients

* make basic Swiss meringues first
* 150g raspberries
* 150g blueberries
* 250g strawberries
* 500g Greek yogurt
* a fresh mint sprig

1. For this recipe you need to make basic Swiss meringues first. Put 150g raspberries, 150g blueberries and 250g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped, into a bowl. Add 4 tbsp crème de cassis, gently toss and set aside for 15 minutes, until juicy.

2. Put 500g Greek yogurt in a large bowl, then lightly fold in three-quarters of the berries, leaving the juice behind. Roughly crumble in 3 large (100g) cooked meringues and briefly mix. Spoon into 6 glasses, top with the remaining juicy berries and garnish each with a fresh mint sprig to serve.
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey thanks, that certainly sounds interesting and quite 'posh'!
Anyone else got suggestions? Want a few ideas to think about. +ve rep may come your way
Dstbgre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well im going to be hosting a dinner party in September for friends who are leaving on a gap year. This is the menu i was thinking of:

Starter
Caesar Salad

Main
Roast leg of lamb studded with garlic and rosemary
Mashed potatos
Roast potatos
Carrotts
Peas
Honey glazed parsnips
Gravy made from lamb juices
Mint sauce

Dessert:
Chocolate truffle cake with caramelized pecans

If you want recipies then pm me or request them here as i will need to dig through my books
Andrew_2006
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry but doing roast lamb at a dinner party..That's not really appropriate is it?

For me dinner parties are all about nibbles, a variety of mains and just general food to share. Rather than plated courses.

Unless it's a really formal affair, I think serving plated food is too much hassle and impersonal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed