I need to lose weight, but... Watch

Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Amy 12)
Thank you again for the replies. I'm really overwhelmed by the support. I honestly have nowhere to turn in real life, and this encouragement from complete strangers is amazing. I'm really grateful. As another user pointed out, I do write quite formally and fluently. I hope this remark doesn't prevent you from helping me. I really am struggling. Getting there, though!

I can give an average description right now, actually, as we essentially have similar meals each day.

Breakfast is a small amount of cereal with some milk - not much. Cereal is normally Cheerios or granola - depends on what we have in the house.

Lunch is normally a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a (small) chocolate bar and a packet of crisps, as lunch is normally dictated by my father, and even when I make it, he puts extras in for me. I do wish I had more healthy things in my lunch, but beggars can't be choosers. I half the chocolate bar with friends, and share some (not all) of the crisps out. Dinner is where things aren't the best, in my opinion. 2 large packs of mince (I don't know the weight, maybe 500-750g each?) With two 350g sauce and 2 packets of pasta (maybe 500g?). This is split between four people, however, usually with a ton of cheese and 4 packs of garlic bread
Amazing fluency for a twelve-year old. Phrases like 'beggars can't be choosers', 'alludes', correct use of 'g' for 'gram'...

I'd really encourage you do to A Level English when you get to that stage.
Tonic Water
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A calorie deficit is what you need. One of the reasons why obesity and being overweight is rife these days is because portion sizes have become massive too.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Amazing fluency for a twelve-year old. Phrases like 'beggars can't be choosers', 'alludes', correct use of 'g' for 'gram'...

A-level??? I smell a Booker...
Amy 12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

Thank you! I do take pride in being fluent and grammatically correct. Encouragement from teachers is really pushing me along to - I'm a "bright" student in their eyes.

I would love to take A-Level English. Thank you again! I really appreciate it.
Amy 12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
A-level??? I smell a Booker...
Booker? May I ask what that means, please? Sorry, haha.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you again for the replies. I'm really overwhelmed by the support. I honestly have nowhere to turn in real life, and this encouragement from complete strangers is amazing. I'm really grateful. As another user pointed out, I do write quite formally and fluently. I hope this remark doesn't prevent you from helping me. I really am struggling. Getting there, though!

I can give an average description right now, actually, as we essentially have similar meals each day.

Breakfast is a small amount of cereal with some milk - not much. Cereal is normally Cheerios or granola - depends on what we have in the house.

Lunch is normally a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a (small) chocolate bar and a packet of crisps, as lunch is normally dictated by my father, and even when I make it, he puts extras in for me. I do wish I had more healthy things in my lunch, but beggars can't be choosers. I half the chocolate bar with friends, and share some (not all) of the crisps out. Dinner is where things aren't the best, in my opinion. 2 large packs of mince (I don't know the weight, maybe 500-750g each?) With two 350g sauce and 2 packets of pasta (maybe 500g?). This is split between four people, however, usually with a ton of cheese and 4 packs of garlic bread
Keep writing fluently. I must admit, when the other poster mentioned how fluently you wrote, I did think it odd that someone of your age could write so well. Alas, I don't consider you a troll. If you can write like that at 12 then perhaps you should consider writing a book in the future, maybe a fantasy novel. You would do very well in it I think. Reading the dictionary (10 words per day) will take you a long way also, as you'll be surprised how often you need to write formal letters/emails for various things as you get older.

I should be able to work out the kcal roughly from this. Cheerios is a lot more fluff than granola, they pretty much has the same no. of kcal per gram, but cheerios has far more volume and will fill up your bowl. 80g of cheerios will fill your bowl, but 80g of granola you could fit in a small cup. Let's say 80g cheerios + 300ml of milk = 500kcal

Lunch:
- 2 slices of bread (assuming normal size bread) = 200kcal
- Small piece of fruit --> apple/pear = 53kcal, banana = ~100kcal, orange/grapes = 30-50kcal
- Chocolate bar (depends on which bar you're talking. Could be 100kcal, could be 350kcal, the packet should say how many kcal)
- Packet of crisps (25g) = 130kcal
- Also, other miscellaneous items in sandwich --> cheese? (1 slice = 100kcal), 15g full fat mayo? (15g = 100kcal)
Total minimum = 200 + 50 + 100 + 130 = 480kcal

Dinner:
- Mince. 100g = 254kcal, so 1000g-1500g = 2540-3810kcal (mince meat every day isn't a good idea. Red meat contains high levels of Nitric oxide which increases cancer risk)
- Oil? (1tbs = 90kcal) (Most likely their will be a great deal of oil put in, especially if it's mince meat and you're cooking for a family) (let's assume you use 10tbs oil, so 900kcal)
- Sauce --> kcal are negligible (maybe 40kcal per bottle), 2 bottles = 80kcal
- 2 packets of pasta (depends on type of pasta. Non-egg based has 150kcal per 100g. Egg-based has 360kcal per 100g). You need to check the packet. So 900-1800kcal per packet. 2 packets = 1800-3600kcal
- Cheese, 30g = ~120kcal (let's say you eat 30g. which is about a handful of cheese). 4 portions = 480kcal
- 4 packs garlic bread (1 pack typically 8 slices. Each slice has ~100kcal). 4 packs = 3200kcal, and assuming you eat an entire pack, that's 800kcal
Total = 2540 + 900 + 80 + 1800 + 480 + 3200 = 9000kcal. Take 1/4 = 2250kcal (unlikely you eat this much as I'm sure your dad probably has bigger portions than you, but if so, we know where your problem is), and 2250kcal is the minimum

Minimum total for the day = 500 + 480 + 2250 = 3230kcal
Does that help clear things up? As you've correctly pointed out, dinner is a big issue. If my family fed me like they feed you, I'd be the Hulk by now

I'll sort out the exercise plan tomorrow. And also, planks are a waste of time for weight loss. Planks are designed for posture and core stability. Do exercises like crunches and leg raises. Suck your stomach in when you do them to increase abdominal muscle activation (continue breathing throughout the exercise of course). They won't help lose weight, but strong abs do help suck the stomach in to give a more flatter appearance. Also, sucking your stomach in during ab exercises teaches your abs to maintain a sucked in stomach throughout the day, whereas letting your stomach pop out during ab exercises will have the opposite effect.
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That fact that people are shocked that OP can write 'well' at 12 years old says a lot about how literacy has gone down the toilet lol.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tonic Water)
That fact that people are shocked that OP can write 'well' at 12 years old says a lot about how literacy has gone down the toilet lol.
Agreed. During my younger days our entertainment was reading books, so we actually learnt how to talk and write like educated people. Nowadays most of these kids are either gaming or wasting their lives away on social media. It's ridiculous.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
But you think everyone is a troll
No, I think trolls are trolls. People on this site are just gullible.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There are 12 year olds that can write well and are intelligent, but they are rare. This seems too suspicious to me.
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
There are 12 year olds that can write well and are intelligent, but they are rare. This seems too suspicious to me.
Maybe they are just one of the few whose mind hasn't been rotted by social media and all the other garbage kids these days grow up with. Also, they might just know how to read a book instead of mindlessly scroll through a phone. If that's rare, oh dear.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe they are just one of the few whose mind hasn't been rotted by social media and all the other garbage kids these days grow up with. Also, they might just know how to read a book instead of mindlessly scroll through a phone. If that's rare, oh dear.
Yeah it is pretty rare sadly.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
Yeah it is pretty rare sadly.
I believe you are correct.
StephRadriguez
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone!
My name is Amy and this is a desperate plea on behalf of me. I need so much help right now, but I don't know where to find it. I'm too young to be on this website (12) but I don't know where else to turn. Please, please, please understand.

I am overweight. I come from a family of obese/overweight people, so, naturally, I am overweight too.

Puberty hit me early, and badly. I have what's considered the worst of it. Acne, periods, voice cracks, an incredibly flat chest and a lot of random weight. I've always been an overweight child but it's been so terrible lately.

My brothers' and sister eat a lot, so I am given quite large helpings. If I do not eat everything in these helpings, my dad worries, asks me if I don't like food and alludes to eating disorders. I've tried talking to both of my parents about my weight, but they keep reassuring me that I am in a healthy weight for my age. They then get angry if I press on, and I get in trouble.

I've stopped eating sweets, drinking fizzy drinks and all that. I am not allowed to exercise though. I attend swimming practice weekly (every Monday) but it's only for 30 mins. I sometimes (rarely) go on bike rides but they are not very long.

My family make fun of me if I work out in my room. My school doesn't care, my friends don't either.

I've been called a fatass by one of my friends multiple times, and my other friends don't seem to care. What should I do??????
I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now, but you seem determined to change your habits and you can do what you want regardless of if your family makes healthy choices. You are young so working out at a gym isn't the best course of action for you, which is okay because losing weight starts and ends with eating right. Since your dad asks you why you aren't eating, be honest and tell him that you are trying to not eat too much because you don't want to get fat, or that you're full. It's good that you've cut out soda, but cutting out foods like junk food/fried foods will make a world of difference for your health: https://www.openfit.com/5-foods-to-a...to-lose-weight

Also, like I said before, since you are so young, you don't need to be exercising daily. Going for a walk after dinner, or making an effort to ride your bike is more than enough exercise for a 12 year old. Just staying active and being outdoors will help you a lot. You mentioned that you have swim practice once a week, which is great because swimming is actually one of the best exercises to do for many different reasons: https://www.openfit.com/benefits-of-swimming
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (36)
18.37%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.14%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.02%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.55%
No unconditional offers (139)
70.92%

Watched Threads