2nd Bachelors in completely different subject Watch

titanlux
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just finished a degree in maths (Class II.ii) and could do a masters but I'm really passionate about languages and want to go to oxford (not without much work:eek: ). What do you think about doing a Modern languages or Oriental Studies as a second degree? I would like to work in the foreign office or as a white collar job in a big company. The question is would doing a language degree advance me further than a masters and a phd right now in a science subject? If i'm honest i'm not really interested in my subject now nor my masters. but have always loved languages
SebKom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your finances are not an issue then don't think about it, GO for it!
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Languages are almost always a very, very real asset.
...More so in the foreign office, for quite obvious reasons.

TBH it's more about appropriate skills than 'level' of education with things like this. The only time a PhD is specifically useful is if you need to demonstrate either v. deep knowledge of something in particular, or a certain level of research ability. Neither of which are necessary for either of the jobs you mention.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sort of in a similar situation. I would like to do a second undergraduate degree preferably in physics (but possibly modern languages - hehe I know - I'm just interested in such a lot of things..) but first I'll have to finish my PhD.

To be honest if I had the money and no other concern in the world, I would probably consider doing it right now. If you love languages and finance is not an issue, definitely go for it! You're young, enjoy your life as much as possible. That means: don't do something you won't enjoy. Definitely do not, I repeat NOT, do a PhD if your heart's not in it.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought you needed at least a 2.1 to do another degree at Oxford? Or do you want to go to Oxford after the BA?
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
I thought you needed at least a 2.1 to do another degree at Oxford? Or do you want to go to Oxford after the BA?
I'm not already at oxford. sorry i wasn't clear about that... does it make a difference? Where can i find out info about second degrees because afaik the process has changed for oxford in recent years
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by titanlux)
I'm not already at oxford. sorry i wasn't clear about that... does it make a difference?
If you want to do the BA at Oxford, no matter where you are now, I'm pretty sure that for most, if not all, subjects you need at least a high-ish 2.1.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not already at oxford. sorry i wasn't clear about that... does it make a difference? Where can i find out info about second degrees because afaik the process has changed for oxford in recent years
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...pplicants.html
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But be very aware about funding though. Are you sure you can cope with the costs involved, without the student loans and tuition fee loan?
titanlux
Rep:
?
Thank you. After reading through I can't quite find a specific class required. Isn't a II.ii a good academic degree?
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by Garden_Gnome)
But be very aware about funding though. Are you sure you can cope with the costs involved, without the student loans and tuition fee loan?
This is true Does anyone know how long I have to pay my overdraft back? at natwest
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thank you. After reading through I can't quite find a specific class required. Isn't a II.ii a good academic degree?
It is good, especially if, as your profile says, it is from Cambridge. However, Oxford (and your own university of Cambridge), of course, want the very best candidates, and as such I am almost sure that they generally do not admit people with less than a 2.1. I think you should speak (e-mail now, it doesn't cost anything) to an admissions tutor at the faculty of your chosen subject to get their definite policy, though.
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
It is good, especially if, as your profile says, it is from Cambridge. However, Oxford (and your own university of Cambridge), of course, want the very best candidates, and as such I am almost sure that they generally do not admit people with less than a 2.1. I think you should speak (e-mail now, it doesn't cost anything) to an admissions tutor at the faculty of your chosen subject to get their definite policy, though.
Okay I will do Do you think that oxford will have any animosity towards the previous uni :p: and purposefully not let me in (only joking)?
kftjkp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you been keeping up with your language since you last did it, else why would any university take you on to do a degree in it when you last used it 3 years ago?
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by kftjkp)
Have you been keeping up with your language since you last did it, else why would any university take you on to do a degree in it when you last used it 3 years ago?
Yes i've been busy
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay I will do Do you think that oxford will have any animosity towards the previous uni :p: and purposefully not let me in (only joking)?
There's an argument that Oxford likes to snatch Cambridge students, and vice versa, though I doubt that this is wholly true! Just try and show that you've got the potential to do better than you did at Cambridge (a 2.2 is a respectable degree -- but most Oxbridge students do get 2.1s or even 1sts). Even if Oxford do want a 2.1, as I strongly suspect they will, if you show potential, they may be willing to make an exception in your case; if not, there are many other good universities -- Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually I don't think a 2.2 in maths will say anything about his/her potential to succeed in languages, so they might not care so much. I obviously don't know what their policy is though OP so just email them. [& let us know what they said.]
Derek_the_Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just finished a degree in maths (Class II.ii) and could do a masters but I'm really passionate about languages and want to go to oxford (not without much work:eek: ). What do you think about doing a Modern languages or Oriental Studies as a second degree? I would like to work in the foreign office or as a white collar job in a big company. The question is would doing a language degree advance me further than a masters and a phd right now in a science subject? If i'm honest i'm not really interested in my subject now nor my masters. but have always loved languages
TBH, a 2:2 in maths doesn't sound like it would make tutors in ML or OS leap up with a cry of "we must have this man!". Having "always loved languages" is not enough: in applying for a place you will be up against students with about-to-be-newly-minted A-levels in stuff relevant to these courses: languages, literature and essay-type subjects, and so forth. If you think you have a track record that makes it look like you'll stand up against that sort of competition - go for it. Otherwise...

DtS
(-1)^(1/2)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm inclined to say that even a 2.1 is insufficient for an 'external' candidate (even from Cambridge!)... But perhaps the 'first class' rule only applies for those considering graduate school.
titanlux
Rep:
?
(Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
TBH, a 2:2 in maths doesn't sound like it would make tutors in ML or OS leap up with a cry of "we must have this man!". Having "always loved languages" is not enough: in applying for a place you will be up against students with about-to-be-newly-minted A-levels in stuff relevant to these courses: languages, literature and essay-type subjects, and so forth. If you think you have a track record that makes it look like you'll stand up against that sort of competition - go for it. Otherwise...

DtS
Agreed a 2.2 in maths isn't worth squat but are my Alevel scores (05) still valid? I think in my favour i'm near native in the two languages i'm going in for but i have a lot of work on literature to do to :rolleyes: Won't I be evaluated though on the same basis as all over candidates?

I've emailed the depts so will hopefully see a result tomorrow... if not i'll phone up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.78%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (606)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise