Should I notify my university? Watch

cassiethelover
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey there.

I am dyslexic and I think it is quite severe. I haven't told my university that I am dyslexic because I thought that there isn't much the univeristy could do for me.

Should I let my university know that I am dyslexic or does it really make no change?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cassiethelover)
Hey there.

I am dyslexic and I think it is quite severe. I haven't told my university that I am dyslexic because I thought that there isn't much the univeristy could do for me.

Should I let my university know that I am dyslexic or does it really make no change?
Please yourself.
petite_chaperon_rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeps you should...
you can get stuffs like extra time during exams
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:ditto:
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Let them know; little to lose and possibly summat to gain in terms of support/funds etc
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
I would make the University aware.

You could/can gain for example extra time in exams, a note taker - all sorts which could depend on your dyslexia assessment IF you make the University aware and they take the issue further.

OP, don't just sit there and wallow and possibly struggle (like I have - now in the process of getting things sorted for the 2nd year) - go and speak to a student advisor or disability advisor and go from there.

Good Luck
cassiethelover
Thanks everyone

the thing is, do I need to prove them that I am dyslexic by submitting the dyslexia test result?

I recalled I had the test and consultation with some psychologist, but I havent got the copy of test result + the letter she sent me.

I don't even remember her name and place I went to since it's such a long time ago.
cassiethelover
(Original post by petite_chaperon_rose)
yeps you should...
you can get stuffs like extra time during exams

I did hvae extra time of 15 mins b4 i think for one of my AS modules. didn't find it quite helpful though since I have headache when I am concentrating/reading.

So I didn't take the extra time for nxt exam.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks everyone

the thing is, do I need to prove them that I am dyslexic by submitting the dyslexia test result?

I recalled I had the test and consultation with some psychologist, but I havent got the copy of test result + the letter she sent me.

I don't even remember her name and place I went to since it's such a long time ago.
Yeah, you would need proof. Did your GP refer you to this psychologist? If so, s/he should have the psychologist's name and maybe even a letter from them to her
Persipan
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know people with dyslexia who have received support including PCs, dictaphones, special coloured filters to assist with reading, copies of lecture notes, one-to-one help and extra time in exams. I don't think you have anything to lose by letting them know, and potentially you have a lot to gain. Your uni probably has a specific contact person who can tell you more - I'd get in touch with them and see what help they can offer, and what documentation they'd need from you.
cassiethelover
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Yeah, you would need proof. Did your GP refer you to this psychologist? If so, s/he should have the psychologist's name and maybe even a letter from them to her

Oh god... I am screwed.

I am not in England. I won't be in England until end of September. ( uni starts in oct)

I don't quite remember.... I am an international student and my school recommanded me the psychologist.

I will be searching online hpefully she has my record
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, I was stupid and didn't notice your location!

In that case, surely you can contact your school and ask them? It must be on record somewhere?
cassiethelover
Sorry, I was stupid and didn't notice your location!

In that case, surely you can contact your school and ask them? It must be on record somewhere?

yeah. I guess that's the only way around. thanks for your help btw really appreciate it.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah. I guess that's the only way around. thanks for your help btw really appreciate it.
No problems

If you aren't able to find out, you can always go to the Disability Advisor/Officer/etc. in your uni once you're there and explain the situation. They can organise for you to do the tests again (a bit annoying that you'd have to do it again, but at least you'd be able to get the help you need). I know one friend was sent early on in the first term for a dyslexia test by my university, so I'm sure your uni will be able to arrange something, it's just quicker and easier to get the help early on if you've already got the documentation
cassiethelover
No problems

If you aren't able to find out, you can always go to the Disability Advisor/Officer/etc. in your uni once you're there and explain the situation. They can organise for you to do the tests again (a bit annoying that you'd have to do it again, but at least you'd be able to get the help you need). I know one friend was sent early on in the first term for a dyslexia test by my university, so I'm sure your uni will be able to arrange something, it's just quicker and easier to get the help early on if you've already got the documentation

You are absoloutely wonderful. Love you!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is the disabled students allowance, which is what I think most people are referring to.

However I do think this is only for domestic students. Is there no similar scheme at home? Even so, it is worth letting th euniversity know. You are still covered by the UK's disability discrimination act so the university are required, by law, to makke reasonable adjustments whenever appropriate during your time at uni. Even if you can't claim DSA as an international student you will still be entitled to whatever exam concessions may be appropriate. It also needs to be kept in mind for mitigating circumstances.

For evidence the psychologst's report will suffice.

This may also be of interest as an international student
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are absoloutely wonderful. Love you!
cassiethelover
(Original post by River85)
There is the disabled students allowance, which is what I think most people are referring to.

However I do think this is only for domestic students. Is there no similar scheme at home? Even so, it is worth letting th euniversity know. You are still covered by the UK's disability discrimination act so the university are required, by law, to makke reasonable adjustments whenever appropriate during your time at uni. Even if you can't claim DSA as an international student you will still be entitled to whatever exam concessions may be appropriate. It also needs to be kept in mind for mitigating circumstances.

For evidence the psychologst's report will suffice.

This may also be of interest as an international student

Thank you very much
God i love TSR :P!
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Generally you need a report done after you were 16 for the university to make allowances. If you don't have one the uni will often have some sort of fund to pay for a new assessment. So even if you're not eligible for DSA, still go to them and talk to them and they'll see what needs to be done. They can't just ignore it!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dinkymints)
Generally you need a report done after you were 16 for the university to make allowances. If you don't have one the uni will often have some sort of fund to pay for a new assessment. So even if you're not eligible for DSA, still go to them and talk to them and they'll see what needs to be done. They can't just ignore it!
The funding for a new assesment may come from the access to learning fund. However, is this available to international students?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed