BewareTomato
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi!

I’m about 2 months into my PGCE and this week so far I feel like it’s my first week of being in the classroom. I’m on a schools direct program and I just want to burst into tears everyday day. I don’t know what’s going on.

I did teach for two weeks alone when my teacher was absent and by the second week I seemed to be coping well. Now my teacher is back and I feel this sense of almost imposter -“ness”.

Like should I even be teaching? Is my subject knowledge good enough? Do the children understand what I’m teaching? Why don’t they respond to me as well as their class teacher?

I think all that plus the assignments are just making me tense!

I don’t know. I’m doubting myself.

Does anyone else feel this? How do you cope? What have to done to “get over” this??
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in my NQT year and I'm having the same feelings this week. I think it's because you're getting in the swing of it and then have a break so coming back feels overwhelming!

The kids aren't going to respond to you like their usual class teacher - that teacher's going to know them inside and out and they'll have a presence as an experienced teacher that you (and me!) don't have yet. Whilst this isn't amazingly helpful advice, this feeling will pass and then you'll feel it again and then it'll pass and on and on. I go through waves constantly at the moment.

To help you get over it, I would try and answer your own questions! Ask the kids questions, check their books - you'll be able to see if they understand. I presume you're teaching Primary? Then I'm almost CERTAIN your subject knowledge is good enough! Maybe you need to brush up on certain specifics (what's a phoneme!?), but you're going to know more than 11 year olds

Try and remain positive!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When I was 2 months in I felt the same and was not sleeping. My mentor told me, why are you losing sleep. They are only kids. She was right.

You want to do your best and that is fine but good enough is fine for teaching. Are they learning? Did anyone die?

Well there we go. You will have good lessons and bad lessons and you are on an enormous learning curve. I'm three years in and still learning. Be kind to yourself.

Good luck!
BewareTomato
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you very much everyone!!! It honest helps a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (172)
18.7%
Labour (396)
43.04%
Liberal Democrats (180)
19.57%
Green Party (52)
5.65%
Brexit Party (24)
2.61%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.33%
SNP (11)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (9)
0.98%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.11%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.11%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (2)