Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
All the posts these days seem to be
"anyone know of an xxx in yyy that takes work experience students?"
do people actually look anymore?
My first port of call is google/yellow pages, not an internet forum lol
Has anyone had any success finding a placement? I found a cattery and an abattoir near me today, google maps and yellow pages respectively. Was Great
givvy
Report 10 years ago
er yes
I found all my own
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i found all my own so far.
but my yellow pages does not have any farms or abbatoirs in
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most, I've found myself, but some I've asked for on here - research labs (I tried looking for them on internet, but it didn't come with any around where I live, so I asked on here), abattoir (I rang up the ones close to me, and they all said no, so I tried on here, and now have a day at an abattoir tomorrow) and pig farms (I've tried those close, but most either don't keep pigs any more, don't take work experience people, or only raise pigs from a few months to the slaughtering age, but now I've found one, hopefully in Kelsall, but that still wasn't through here).
The Socialite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's good to look on internet forums as you can get info on how people found it, whether it was useful and what to expect etc. No harm in that, eh?

Livs
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I've never found any through here or indeed yellow pages. I just know of alot of places nearby, then ask those people for all their contacts etc etc. I was really lucky with the abattoir because (And I havent seen many people do this as a placement yet) I went through my district council animal welfare officers, which do routine checkups on the local abattoirs, so can thus go with them.
However, on a side note, I rang one abattoir who was so liberal, he just said "yeah sure you can come, turn up on any Monday this year and ask for Bob". lol sounded almost too good to be true. Incidently, said abattoir is the one I went round the the council animal welfare officers in the end anyway so, it's all goood
blahhh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its good to ask on here to find places you wouldnt have thought of/ places to recommend!!!
And being recommended places to go saves hours of phonecalls/ emails/ letters that end up getting nowhere because they dont take work experience! In the past month i've sent over 20 emails and around 20 letters to various places asking.....and no more than 5 have replied (only about 3 successful ones :rolleyes:)
I feel that its good to look yourself, but asking on here for advice on good places is definately not a bad thing!!
givvy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blahhh)
I feel that its good to look yourself, but asking on here for advice on good places is definately not a bad thing!!
exactly! isnt that partly the point of being on here?
to exchance ideas, info and advice??
blahhh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by givvy)
exactly! isnt that partly the point of being on here?
to exchance ideas, info and advice??
Yep! Were all in the same boat at the end of the day, no problems in sharing advice and ideas!

EDIT: Just finding places local to you in the yellow pages doesnt necessarily mean you can get a placement with them! I've contacted nearly all vets within a 20 mile radius of me...and only two has offered a placement (and they havent got back to me for 2 weeks :rolleyes:...)
JessMeg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep I found it all myself, but I don't see any harm in sharing advice on placements.
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep I found all my own placements, but I dont see anything wrong with asking on here.

The whole point of the forum is to share opinions and experience.

Having spent a lot of time on work experience I have found some experience great and of use and some where its clear the employer only wants free labour.
From posting on here you can share your experience and guide people to better quality experience. So while I agree people need to be proactive in looking for their own experience I dont see any harm in posting on here.
fairy princess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I found my first Sat job at the local vets through a friend and then most of my other placements via clients of the vets or friends of farmers I have already worked with - but then i live in a rural area with tons of farms nearby so it's really not that hard for me and I agree with others who have said there is nothing wrong with enquiring here.
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been looking since the start of the year, tried online, yellow pages, still can't get anything!
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its a useful resource for the more tricky placements like abbotoir, and lab work, or city farms, but that other than that you should do as much as possilbe on you r own, but what for me is worse is if you parents organise everything for you, I had a asked a vets where I was on work exoerience if could come back for my 'official' work expereince in year 10 and they said yes. I wrote to them to confirm and they had given that place to a girl whose mother had gone in and asked. When the whole idea was to find it yourself, secure it youtself and do it yourself. I have used my mums contacts to get placements but its always been me doing the phoning / writing / weedeling,

anyhoo, to sum up, try your self first, then ask friends / tsr / parents for contacts, but dont rely on any one else to do the work for you.
surfait
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x_Bex_x)
I think its a useful resource for the more tricky placements like abbotoir, and lab work, or city farms, but that other than that you should do as much as possilbe on you r own, but what for me is worse is if you parents organise everything for you, I had a asked a vets where I was on work exoerience if could come back for my 'official' work expereince in year 10 and they said yes. I wrote to them to confirm and they had given that place to a girl whose mother had gone in and asked. When the whole idea was to find it yourself, secure it youtself and do it yourself. I have used my mums contacts to get placements but its always been me doing the phoning / writing / weedeling,

anyhoo, to sum up, try your self first, then ask friends / tsr / parents for contacts, but dont rely on any one else to do the work for you.
Yeah I agree. But I think more often than not it works in your favour doing it yourself. I just got a job at a dog groomers by going in and asking. The woman said that she gets a ton of phonecalls from mums and dads trying to secure their kids' work. She said that she turns them down purely on the basis that they don't have the balls to ask themselves. ;-)
Phoebe_Vet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I tried the abattoirs in my yellow pages and none of them were even abattoirs....they were involved in meat disposal or the like so I asked for some help. I tried one that someone suggested which I was turned down at and eventually found my own anyway. All my placements I have grafted to find and complete myself.

I don't see anything wrong in asking for help if you can't get anywhere yourself. Yes it's wrong to just not bother looking and leech off what other people have put work in to finding because you are too lazy but if you are struggling and have tried your hardest, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If you have a problem with people asking advice on placements, don't ask for any and don't help anyone if you want to be like that.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads