Depression and E.D’s jeopardising my A-Levels

Watch
taramo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m 17, currently in the latter part of study for A-Levels. Honestly, I’m bricking it. I’ve always been an extremely high-achiever and for years aimed to go to Oxford. I realised I didn’t want that sort of pressure and am focusing on other Russell Group unis. However, my attendance is at like 40% purely because I can’t cope. I have no energy - I suffer from bulimia and restrictive eating, I’m severely, clinically depressed and awaiting further assessment (they think maybe Bipolar). Everything seems so unattainable. My meds are going to be changed and I’m going for therapy at the Maudsley but there’s such little time left and I have so much work and I’m just not getting it done. I take English Literature, History, Philosophy and I’m doing an EPQ. What do I do? Like genuinely how do I sort my life out? I ideally want 3 A’s. I got A*’s/A’s/B’s at GCSE with like 48% attendance but I know it’s different for A Levels. Any advice on how to succeed in these A-Levels? Study tips, resources? General advice? Help? Me? Please?
Toastiekid
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by taramo)
I’m 17, currently in the latter part of study for A-Levels. Honestly, I’m bricking it. I’ve always been an extremely high-achiever and for years aimed to go to Oxford. I realised I didn’t want that sort of pressure and am focusing on other Russell Group unis. However, my attendance is at like 40% purely because I can’t cope. I have no energy - I suffer from bulimia and restrictive eating, I’m severely, clinically depressed and awaiting further assessment (they think maybe Bipolar). Everything seems so unattainable. My meds are going to be changed and I’m going for therapy at the Maudsley but there’s such little time left and I have so much work and I’m just not getting it done. I take English Literature, History, Philosophy and I’m doing an EPQ. What do I do? Like genuinely how do I sort my life out? I ideally want 3 A’s. I got A*’s/A’s/B’s at GCSE with like 48% attendance but I know it’s different for A Levels. Any advice on how to succeed in these A-Levels? Study tips, resources? General advice? Help? Me? Please?
please prioritise your health over a-level results
blackmyst3ry
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a person suffering from depression myself, here's the advice I have for you.

1. More than other people, depression is a conflict of interest with yourself. So, show yourself some love and care. Eat right, sleep right, as much as you can. Take a reset day. Just be kind to yourself.

2. Set yourself small challenges as part of your self-care routine. You are going to need to maintain and come up with a support structure to build confidence and ownership of your life. Don't let depression rob you from who you are. Set aside time for thinking/overthinking. And set aside time for doing.

3. Search for Douglas Bloch on Youtube. He runs live sessions on YouTube every Sunday at Noon, Pacific time in the US. You can ask him questions in the chatbox on the Live session on Youtube. He is also a depression survivor. I am glad that your parents are supportive and you are getting the necessary help.

4. One of the ways, I figured, to maintain my sanity is to do 1 thing every day, that I haven't done before. I created a Vlog and started journaling daily to write down my emotions and take stock of how I'm feeling, what I'm struggling to get done. This helps me reason with myself to get the most urgent things out of the way. You will have to learn to prioritise.

5. Remember, that some days all you need to is just breathe.

6. Take a break. But don't quit.

Even if it's for 2 mins each day/each subject, read aloud/flip through pages, relax and include your books in your comfort zone. Education is the best way to discipline the mind. I recently read that resistance and procrastination are all habits that we as humans adopt because deep down we are afraid to lose what we want the most. So, don't turn into your own worst enemy, because you are going to need to adapt and become the winner you deserve to be!

There is always someone to listen to you <3 Let me know how it goes!
Last edited by blackmyst3ry; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads