is politics only for the upper classes Watch

jazzyjelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
To be a politician, must you be privately educated?
and do those who take degrees in politics end up being politicians, what other careers are available to them?
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, quite right to.

(Just look at Mr Prescott...)
Tinkerbee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You dont have to be upper class to have been privately educated...
Denny Crane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need the right connections to get into politics.
Gemma_08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Usually you need to have a good education to get into politics.
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fairly few politicians have politics degrees - more are lawyers or historians.
kftjkp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not having a private education does not preclude you becoming a politician and nor should it.
LearningMath
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Getting into politics means having a good education, private schools generaly offer better educations, hence people who have been privatly schooled may stand a better chance. Obviously there are loads of exceptions, but reasonable logic i think.
Cognito
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure there is a correllation between political careers and strong educational backgrounds but there is no sense necessitation. Alan Johnson was a postman before becoming a politician (and cabinet minister), John Major never went to university etc.
As for all politicians being 'upper class', this is frankly ridiculous. 'Upper class' is usually used to refer to those with titles, estates and/or connections to royalty. (this may not be an entirely water tight definition but it is close enough). Outside of the Lords, there are few politicians who are in such a position. I would say that almost all politicians were middle class if such a distinction had to be made.
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
David Davis is a good example of a politician that isn't an idiot but isn't "upper class".
Demoskratos7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If David Cameron had his way, then yes.

However, for those of us that believe in democracy rather than oligarchy, then nope, politics is inherently inclusive. It should involve people from all backgrounds, colours and classes, because everybody should have the right to exert the same influence in the society of which they are a part. There remains, however, a strong and small elite group dominant within politics in the UK, and I'm afraid the Oxbridge system, and especially the private school tradition, doesn't help this.
Demoskratos7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
David Davis is a good example of a politician that isn't an idiot but isn't "upper class".
David Davis is a complete idiot. And a hypocrite.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I'm doing Political Science at uni and I'm certainly not upper class
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would imagine very few politicians have politics degrees. And you don't have to be privately educated- but it helps.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
Yes he is.

Oh, and he is, effectively, upper class. He just doesn't have the correct background to warrant him being err... "fully" upper class.
Afton Lawson
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demoskratos7)
If David Cameron had his way, then yes.

However, for those of us that believe in democracy rather than oligarchy, then nope, politics is inherently inclusive. It should involve people from all backgrounds, colours and classes, because everybody should have the right to exert the same influence in the society of which they are a part. There remains, however, a strong and small elite group dominant within politics in the UK, and I'm afraid the Oxbridge system, and especially the private school tradition, doesn't help this.
Don't diss David , my dad knows him from his days at Eton, he was in the year below.

And tbf have you read the conservative party values recently ?
Demoskratos7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
I would imagine very few politicians have politics degrees. And you don't have to be privately educated- but it helps.
I'd go far as to say that I wouldn't vote for a politician if they had a politics degree.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course not. Working-class people have been prominent in politics since the beginning of the 20th century.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demoskratos7)
I'd go far as to say that I wouldn't vote for a politician if they had a politics degree.
That sounds a little silly. And why so?
Cognito
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Of course not. Working-class people have been prominent in politics since the beginning of the 20th century.
Well before that if you consider Tyler and the Peasant's revolt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.29%
No - but I will (20)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (178)
49.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed