?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is this direct democracy?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, not really. although i'm sure some would disagree with me on that one.
Direct democracy tends to be where the polis decide the policy and may or may not enact it, such as in certain Swiss Cantons.
Being able to recall and potentially fire your MP on the other hand doesnt require a majority of the electorate for their particular constituency (1/10 being required i believe).
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Direct democracy tends to be where the polis decide the policy and may or may not enact it, such as in certain Swiss Cantons.
Being able to recall and potentially fire your MP on the other hand doesnt require a majority of the electorate for their particular constituency (1/10 being required i believe).
1/10 is correct and although not a majority there has to be some pretty bad feeling towards the incumbent MP for it to happen and would almost certainly result in them losing their seats.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No.

It is also a really watered down Act. Recall petitions are only intiated in specific circumstances of serious impropriety.

There is no means to recall an MP for just being incredibly **** at their job.

If only the average worker had such employment protection.
satsun
Rep:
?
Yes, but surely if the petition is triggered it’s direct democracy for the constituents to make the decision?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
1/10 is correct and although not a majority there has to be some pretty bad feeling towards the incumbent MP for it to happen and would almost certainly result in them losing their seats.
Indeed, i believe only 2 of the 3 instances have resulted in an MP being booted though? With the most prominent being that Labour woman.
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
No.

It is also a really watered down Act. Recall petitions are only intiated in specific circumstances of serious impropriety.

There is no means to recall an MP for just being incredibly **** at their job.

If only the average worker had such employment protection.
Isnt it for any form of criminal conduct?
(Original post by satsun)
Yes, but surely if the petition is triggered it’s direct democracy for the constituents to make the decision?
Not especially, it's effectively little different than an election in what happens. The most i, personally, would compare it to is a referendum (albeit extremely loosely).
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed, i believe only 2 of the 3 instances have resulted in an MP being booted though? With the most prominent being that Labour woman.

Not especially, it's effectively little different than an election in what happens. The most i, personally, would compare it to is a referendum (albeit extremely loosely).
Referendums are a type of direct democracy?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)

Is that right? The old grey matter's playing tricks on me! I could've sworn there were more cases of it, must be all those years of alcohol abuse 😎
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is that right? The old grey matter's playing tricks on me! I could've sworn there were more cases of it, must be all those years of alcohol abuse 😎
You might well be right, i'm just going off Wiki on this one
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
You might well be right, i'm just going off Wiki on this one
No I'm being serious, many years of boozezes has probably taken it's toll, my bet would be that you are indeed correct.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Ultimately the Swiss aren’t under a direct democracy either
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Shockingly an MP can be an MP even if they have a criminal record
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Shockingly an MP can be an MP even if they have a criminal record
I think theyre banned if they serve over a year or two in jail though arent they?
Then again its practically a job requirement that an MP have some sort of criminal/moral/sexual deviancy to their name :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I'm being serious, many years of boozezes has probably taken it's toll, my bet would be that you are indeed correct.
Well theres worse things to do then indulge valiantly in a wee drinkey
Ultimately the Swiss aren’t under a direct democracy either
My point was more that too a point some of them are, at least in a manner of speaking.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I think theyre banned if they serve over a year or two in jail though arent they?
Then again its practically a job requirement that an MP have some sort of criminal/moral/sexual deviancy to their name :lol:
One MP was voted in while in prison
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One MP was voted in while in prison
Doesnt surprise me in the slightest, although whom was this delightful reprobate?
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Doesnt surprise me in the slightest, although whom was this delightful reprobate?
Some MP during the troubles
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Learnt it in my a levels politics class a few weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (63)
32.64%
Spring (36)
18.65%
Autumn/Fall (48)
24.87%
Winter (36)
18.65%
I love them all equally (10)
5.18%