Durdham? Watch

RadonX
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Any uni bristol students got an informed opinion on Durdham halls?
I've got to that horribly difficult decision of choosing my self catered halls! Durdham is definitely appealing but I have heard that it might be a little, ermm... lacking in the social community feel??
Is this rubbish? What do those guys do for kicks up there? The clifton halls all seem to have something going for them in terms of events and stuff.
Also, in honesty, how is the trip into uni from Stoke Bishop?
Cheers guys!
satriales
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've applied for Durdham too as I heard it was nice and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice for self-catered. I also heard it's a bit quiet, but as long as you make some effort to make friends and go out I don't see there being a problem with the social side.

The trip to Stoke Bishop is supposed to take about 40mins if you walk but apparently you just get used to it and it doesn't become a problem. It should be good for meeting people too as there're going to be lots of people walking that route every day.
RadonX
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeh, I kinda thought that too. If you want a large self-catered hall then their's only Goldney, Durdham, Manor and University Halls to choose from isn't there. And although Goldney does look great, you're paying a lot for the privilege of the gardens.
I suppose there is a massive number of people up at Stoke Bishop and I'm not really the kinda guy to sit in and wait for the people to come to me. I'll be out there visiting as many peeps as possible!
I just wonder if it has as much of a community feel as some of the older halls.
Hope you get your place satriales btw.
dreadnaut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bah. I thought it'd be a laugh cos its a big hall.....all the other halls in that area are right next to it.

damn it.

up to me to start the riots then ....
Rui
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Retirement home.
andy5788
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You exaggerate Rui. I was there in my first year and yes, it is a little bit quieter than some of the other halls.

All it means is that you need to make a bit more of an effort to seek out the "life" as it were. If you want a lively time you can still have it. Tbh it's good training for second year when you'll be in private residences and your ents won't be handed to you on a plate.
dreadnaut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
apart from Goldney, are any of the self catered halls not full of deadbeats.....as is the impression I get now.
Rui
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually.....no.

Never actually been in to Manor but heard it's OK.

It's Goldney or catered, as far as I'm concerned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed