VLEX
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Morning,

I would like to start learning Italian as its likely that I'll be moving there next year for parents' work. I currently speak no Italian.

I was wondering if people think/anyone has experience in learning Italian, and wether they think its possible that if I dedicated a LOT of time to it (3 hours straight learning then like 8 hours of comprehensible input from TV, etc) per day, I could be a strong Italian speaker in 4 months?

I would like to be able to understand most of a conversation at full speed and speak it similarly well. Maybe like A level standard?

I already speak pretty good Spanish if that helps.

Cheers
NancySand
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi!
My mother tongue is Italian, I will try to help with your question.
Italian is not an easy language if you want to speak it correctly. I have to admit that there are few Italians who speak their language in the right way.
I think that the hardest part is the grammar because it is a completely different reasoning compared to English. If you know Spanish, you will be facilitated especially with the vocabulary. I don't spack Spanish but I have never had any problem with comprehension.
You could try an online course that helps with the basic grammar and vocabulary. then try to watch TV in Italian, I would suggest tv series that you already know and like dubbed in Italian. This is what I usually do with English.

It is difficult to estimate how long it takes to learn this language, it depends a lot on the time you can dedicate to learning.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.51%
I'm not sure (26)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.26%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (276)
47.67%

Watched Threads