The Student Room Group

ACA Case Study November 2019

What did everyone think? I did well on my timings but I felt like I was doing something wrong. Requirement 3 was a little tricky

Scroll to see replies

I found req 2 tricky as well. Struggled with calcs.

Req 1 seemed good,
It was a lot longer requirement 1 with all 3 divisions, GP , rev, covenants. Req 2 was really tricky and req 3 was okay but ethics was challenging. Overall I thought it was a fair paper.
Reply 3
I couldn’t understand what was the business trust/ethical issue in the last article. I guessed S-E could be highly geared?? I don’t know..

R1 was long but very easy n straight forward.

R2 was tricky. Nothing much to write but still wrote as much as I could.

I messed up the exec summary. Ran out of time so copy pasted in the last few seconds (literally) n now worried that I won’t be getting enough boxes marked! Huh..
Original post by DSL-EY
I couldn’t understand what was the business trust/ethical issue in the last article. I guessed S-E could be highly geared?? I don’t know..

R1 was long but very easy n straight forward.

R2 was tricky. Nothing much to write but still wrote as much as I could.

I messed up the exec summary. Ran out of time so copy pasted in the last few seconds (literally) n now worried that I won’t be getting enough boxes marked! Huh..

I thought the ethics was more to do with making sure they keep within the FSA regulations given it’s going to be gluten free products? Requirement 2 was hard but I managed to do all the sections within the time so I’m hoping due to the way it’s marked it’s more than enough
Original post by Acacasestudy123
I thought the ethics was more to do with making sure they keep within the FSA regulations given it’s going to be gluten free products? Requirement 2 was hard but I managed to do all the sections within the time so I’m hoping due to the way it’s marked it’s more than enough

Yikes, I did not comment on ethics in R3 but did on R2...I might be screwed?
Reply 6
Ye the article in Req3 was regarding potential cross contamination as they gave out free samples. So had to comply with gluten leglisitons

Also, towards the end, potential cash concerns with the bank was an ethical issue which needed verifying.

Req 2 and req3 calc were tricky but hopefully enough follow through own figure Mark's for conclusions and executive summaries!
Original post by therealbuzzkill
Yikes, I did not comment on ethics in R3 but did on R2...I might be screwed?

There was a little bit on 2 given Jiffa was closing stores and had bad press. Overall from the ICAEW conferences they are noticing people write more on computer than handwritten and therefore the papers feel like they are getting longer. CR and SBM felt the exact same
Reply 8
I think R3 ethical discussion was a business trust issue regarding S-E’s rapid growth and concerns over their financing so may be experiencing overtrading. I didn’t pick up on the free samples but that may have been a smaller separate business trust issue.

R2 ethics was easier with pressuring suppliers not appearing to be professional behaviour by Jiffa’s new CEO.

As long as you state the figures from the scenario in appendices 2 & 3 your own numbers should get credit. My only worry was having time to adjust ES for requirement 1 only with 2 & 3 copied & pasted.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DavidG29
I think R3 ethical discussion was a business trust issue regarding S-E’s rapid growth and concerns over their financing so may be experiencing overtrading. I didn’t pick up on the free samples but that may have been a smaller separate business trust issue.

R2 ethics was easier with pressuring suppliers not appearing to be professional behaviour by Jiffa’s new CEO.

As long as you state the figures from the scenario in appendices 2 & 3 your own numbers should get credit. My only worry was having time to adjust ES for requirement 1 only with 2 & 3 copied & pasted.

I didn’t get that they were over expanding. Doing well yes but still centrally located to Birmingham etc, it was more ethics than business trust for sure
Thinking back on the question paper, I don't recall R3 asking for business trust and ethical issues...
Original post by therealbuzzkill
Thinking back on the question paper, I don't recall R3 asking for business trust and ethical issues...

I don’t think it’s always directly asked but has always appeared in previous exams. It’s mentioned in the briefing note to address any business trust or ethical issues that could appear in any requirement.
Reply 12
Original post by DavidG29
I don’t think it’s always directly asked but has always appeared in previous exams. It’s mentioned in the briefing note to address any business trust or ethical issues that could appear in any requirement.

No, actually they did ask specifically!
R3 in exhibit 15 was financial, op, strategical issues and any business trust or ethical issues arising from exhibit 19b !
Original post by DSL-EY
R3 in exhibit 15 was financial, op, strategical issues and any business trust or ethical issues arising from exhibit 19b !

Yeah agreed... they asked subtlety write in middle of requirement. I wouldn’t anticipate too many ethics marks for req 3
Req 3 probably had the most ethics

1. Gluten
2. Contamination
3. IT compatibility with new customer
4. Bank concern in media article
5. Gluten not always healthier
Original post by Casestudyq62525
Req 3 probably had the most ethics

1. Gluten
2. Contamination
3. IT compatibility with new customer
4. Bank concern in media article
5. Gluten not always healthier

That’s exactly what I wrote about, bar gluten not being healthier
Original post by BM0071
Ye the article in Req3 was regarding potential cross contamination as they gave out free samples. So had to comply with gluten leglisitons

Also, towards the end, potential cash concerns with the bank was an ethical issue which needed verifying.

Req 2 and req3 calc were tricky but hopefully enough follow through own figure Mark's for conclusions and executive summaries!

Was this the media article in Req 3 where it talked about S-E expanding and being popular in the area? I vaguely remember something about them needing bank funding at the end of it? Starting to worry now there was another media article in Req 3 I missed...
Which was ex 19b? Was it the media article or the stuff at the beginning?
Original post by Acacasestudy123
That’s exactly what I wrote about, bar gluten not being healthier

Original post by beancounter123
Yeah agreed... they asked subtlety write in middle of requirement. I wouldn’t anticipate too many ethics marks for req 3
Original post by EmilyCoppen
Which was ex 19b? Was it the media article or the stuff at the beginning?

I think the samples were in the media article but could have been in the main part, can't remember now.

There was only one article at the back that addressed how good the customer was in terms of its quality, number of outlets and a bit about the bank right at the end.

Req 2 ethical concerns was just Jiffa closing 5 stores and how there was public criticism of how they handled that. I cant really think of anymore than that
Was Ex 19b the media article that talked about S-E expansion? The only ethics point I made in Req 3 was around gluten not necessarily being healthier but that was not in the media article so I guess if they wanted ethics and business trust points specifically relating to 19b media article I I’ll have got no points. Was there just one media article in Req 3? (Original post by DavidG29)I think R3 ethical discussion was a business trust issue regarding S-E’s rapid growth and concerns over their financing so may be experiencing overtrading. I didn’t pick up on the free samples but that may have been a smaller separate business trust issue.

Original post by DSL-EY

Original post by beancounter123

Quick Reply

Latest