The Student Room Group

Below entry requirements but a “strong personal statement”

So I’m planning to study biology at university however I’m about 10 UCAS points below the entry requirements... my personal statement has been deemed “strong” by two of my former biology teachers and they’ve helped me craft this statement into what it is now, but with me still being below the entry requirements should I apply for the 3 year biology course or should I just apply for a foundation year and not bother trying with the three year course? Is there any chance I could apply for both the three year and four year course?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
naa don't go for foundation its 10 points and if ur statement is strong then it could compensate for it and I'm guessing you would get a conditional offer not unconditional and then just bang out work hard and with enough practice, you should hopefully reach those 10 points. also if u want u could do an epq it gives an extra 28 points but is 5000-word essay on your chosen topic if u really want to have reached the requirements when applying
Original post by L0st45
So I’m planning to study biology at university however I’m about 10 UCAS points below the entry requirements... my personal statement has been deemed “strong” by two of my former biology teachers and they’ve helped me craft this statement into what it is now, but with me still being below the entry requirements should I apply for the 3 year biology course or should I just apply for a foundation year and not bother trying with the three year course? Is there any chance I could apply for both the three year and four year course?

Are you finished with your qualifications or are you 10 points below based on predicted grades?

Universities rarely use PS in deciding which applicants will get an offer - particularly for subjects like biology.

Ring up the universities you're considering and ask them:
a) if they're likely to make an offer if you're predicted slightly below their standard offer
b) whether they make lower offers in any circumstances
c) if they consider applicants for the foundation year if they aren't made an offer for the 3 year course
d) the same but for people who miss their offer conditions in august.
Reply 3
You could try to potentially do an additional AS subject to boost your ucas points.

Besides there's many ways of getting UCAS points:

1. Do EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) which usually consists of a 5K word essay of your chosen idea.
2. Learn an instrument.
3. Volunteering: ASDAN offer community-based courses that can get you plenty of extra UCAS points, such as the CoPE (16 UCAS points) and Wider Key Skills (3 different qualifications available, 8 points each).
Reply 4
Apologies, I should have clarified, I've completed my A-Levels already and I'm 10 points below.

Original post by PQ
Are you finished with your qualifications or are you 10 points below based on predicted grades?

Universities rarely use PS in deciding which applicants will get an offer - particularly for subjects like biology.

Ring up the universities you're considering and ask them:
a) if they're likely to make an offer if you're predicted slightly below their standard offer
b) whether they make lower offers in any circumstances
c) if they consider applicants for the foundation year if they aren't made an offer for the 3 year course
d) the same but for people who miss their offer conditions in august.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to phone and see what they say.
Reply 5
Original post by Kaaiowo
You could try to potentially do an additional AS subject to boost your ucas points.

Besides there's many ways of getting UCAS points:

1. Do EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) which usually consists of a 5K word essay of your chosen idea.
2. Learn an instrument.
3. Volunteering: ASDAN offer community-based courses that can get you plenty of extra UCAS points, such as the CoPE (16 UCAS points) and Wider Key Skills (3 different qualifications available, 8 points each).

Thank you for the advice, could potentially have to look into one of your suggestions!
Reply 6
Original post by L0st45
Thank you for the advice, could potentially have to look into one of your suggestions!

If it's also an option that you want, you could even potentially stay an extra year.

Why is this beneficial?
- It will give you time to think about the course you're planning to do.
- Possibly if you're doing any BTECS, you could try to do extra coursework. (2/3, gives you more UCAS points and also gives you a boost in the future)
- Treat it as a gap year, it's less stressful and it will give you time to think about your chosen destination.
Original post by L0st45
Apologies, I should have clarified, I've completed my A-Levels already and I'm 10 points below.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to phone and see what they say.

Definitely phone - they may well know that they'll take people with slightly lower (but in the bag) grades.
Original post by L0st45

10 ucas points is more or less 1 A level grade less and the majority of universities accept applicants with 1 dropped grade. However most universities go on grades rather than ucas points and those that do make offers on a points system tend to want those points in 3 Alevels so taking an additional AS level wont necessarily help. Would you be able to resit in order to improve your grade. Ringing the university as already said is your best option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending