The Student Room Group

What University I should apply to for Animation & Illustration.

I want to know which is the best University For doing Animation & Illustration. I also want to know how it would affect me if I am not good at drawing from memory and usually work from a lot of references.
I’m not an expert on this topic but a lot of generalised universities tend to have limited courses relating to art, let alone something quite niche like animation. My advice would be to look into going to a specific art university like Leeds Art or UCA! Again, I don’t have experience of studying art as I’m a linguistics student but I also assume that references would be a big part of the course anyway so long as the work is original
Reply 2
Original post by KristsB
I want to know which is the best University For doing Animation & Illustration. I also want to know how it would affect me if I am not good at drawing from memory and usually work from a lot of references.

The World rankings table provides the best indicator or reputation for Art Courses as it meshes unis and Art Schools.
I would also read through some of the old threads on this which appear if you scroll down underneath your question.There is one link to ScreenSkills which you might find useful.If you go to UCAS you can look up different courses at various unis.If you go to the complete university guide you will get a table of Art and Design Unis which will also link to courses which are available .Usual suspects Central School st martins,Goldsmiths,Kingston,Leed, and Glasgow.
Takes a bit of research but went through this last year with daughter and that worked for her.She is currently at Kingston and absolutely loves it.
On the drawing question what they really like is drawing from real life so if you could do some life ,and still life drawings plus cityscapes and landscapes from real life it will go down well.
Are you doing A levels or are you doing BTEC or FAD.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
The World rankings table provides the best indicator or reputation for Art Courses as it meshes unis and Art Schools.
I would also read through some of the old threads on this which appear if you scroll down underneath your question.There is one link to ScreenSkills which you might find useful.If you go to UCAS you can look up different courses at various unis.If you go to the complete university guide you will get a table of Art and Design Unis which will also link to courses which are available .Usual suspects Central School st martins,Goldsmiths,Kingston,Leed, and Glasgow.
Takes a bit of research but went through this last year with daughter and that worked for her.She is currently at Kingston and absolutely loves it.
On the drawing question what they really like is drawing from real life so if you could do some life ,and still life drawings plus cityscapes and landscapes from real life it will go down well.

Also lots of Art Courses hold their open days now so try and choose some to check out soon.
Original post by KristsB

It's not a very common combination - you're not likely to get into animation with that degree (it's really competitive) BUT it could be a really useful base to start a career producing content for social media/marketing/journalism.

IIRR Anglia Ruskin and Man Met offer that combo (and both do a good job). They'd be a good place to start to give you something to compare to elsewhere :smile:
Original post by Scotney

Which world rankings table? Both the THE and QS subject rankings are based on research metrics - hardly relevant for art (and even less for animation/illustration)
Original post by KristsB

Hi!
Cambridge School of Art at ARU does an Animation & Illustration degree. If there's anything you'd like to know about the degree or the university let me know - I'll be happy to help :smile:

You can see examples of student work from the students who just graduated, if that gives you an idea of what you can achieve at ARU.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. As someone mentioned above league tables aren't always the most helpful way to indicate on art courses, but the National Student Survey can be a good one - I was trying to link to it but at the moment it seems their server is down!!?

We have an Open Day this Saturday (9th) or Sunday 24th if you'd like to sign up. You can meet existing students and the lecturers at this event and get more insight.

Thanks
Megan
#TeamARU
It's not really about finding the 'best', it's more important to find the right one for you. Some of those courses will put a greater emphasis on either illustration or animation, some will have more of a technical/software focus, some lean towards character animation, some are more experimental etc. Have a look at the work that the students do and think "do i want to do that".
Unifrog website is perfect for this
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney

I am doing BTEC and I have done a lot of Life drawing as it is part of the BTEC course.
Original post by KristsB
I am doing BTEC and I have done a lot of Life drawing as it is part of the BTEC course.

Okay so what part of the country are you looking at or do you not mind. My daughter did a Ual Foundation course after her A levels but college was woeful about choosing courses and portfolio prep. If you go on Kingston or Ual websites they give portfolio advice as of course do places like Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest