Cardio? Watch

Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Normally i'd work my leg and abs one day, and chest abd arm muscles the other, but because i don't have school for a couple of months i have some free time on my hands;

I was wondering if i did a full body workoput on one day, should i have a complete rest day or do cardio?

On my rest days i normally swim a little bit but i was wondering whether or not i should do a good cardio session e.g a circuit or something.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no back work?????? if its 1x full body a week you wont see many results. Most fb programs are 2-3x per week.

You should take a rest day after, if you feel the need to do cardio keep it fairly light. You have 5other days to day cardio in the week
Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
no back work?????? if its 1x full body a week you wont see many results. Most fb programs are 2-3x per week.

You should take a rest day after, if you feel the need to do cardio keep it fairly light. You have 5other days to day cardio in the week

Sorry what i meant was, instead of working legs and abs one day, arms and chest the other, i do a full body workout every other day.

And no i don't work my back because i injured it 6 months ago and it still hasn't healed properly.

how light should i keep the cardio?
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bateman)
Sorry what i meant was, instead of working legs and abs one day, arms and chest the other, i do a full body workout every other day.

And no i don't work my back because i injured it 6 months ago and it still hasn't healed properly.

Not very light.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Depending on your level of strength FB every other can screw your CNS, and you limit muscle growth time. If you are a beginner its fine.

You should atleast be rehabbing your back if its injured.

Depends what your goals are. If its weightloss go for it, if its muscle growth, keep it light and intense and quick
Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Misogynist)
Not very light.

Like what, i wouldn't want to do too much, i worked for 3 hours including 1 hour of cardio on friday, did cardio on saturday and i couldn't go to the gym today because i was still aching.

Should i just jog or something?
Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
Depending on your level of strength FB every other can screw your CNS, and you limit muscle growth time. If you are a beginner its fine.

You should atleast be rehabbing your back if its injured.

Depends what your goals are. If its weightloss go for it, if its muscle growth, keep it light and intense and quick

I'm not a beginer, you've got me worried but it's fine anyway i'm going back to alternate training when school starts in september.

Could you suggest a few ways i can rehabiliate my back in pm?
I've badly hurt my left infrapinatus or rhombodeus, and i get the odd muscle spazm now and then, i think i might go to do the doctor or something because resting it hasn't seemed to work.

And that's the problem; my goal, i want to do a few kg of weightloss to tone my body but i still want to build muscle, what do you suggest?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like what, i wouldn't want to do too much, i worked for 3 hours including 1 hour of cardio on friday, did cardio on saturday and i couldn't go to the gym today because i was still aching.

Should i just jog or something?
Well if you're doing cardio on off days, stop doing that. Off days strictly for recovery.

Depends on whether you're an endomorph, how overweight you are etc. Generally people do around 45 minutes of intense cardio straight after a workout and eat quite clean if they're primarily endomorphs with weight to lose.

Yeah, Jogging isn't bad at all. Rowing ergometers are great too. HIIT is obviously the way to go..
Bateman
Rep:
?
Well if you're doing cardio on off days, stop doing that. Off days strictly for recovery.

Depends on whether you're an endomorph, how overweight you are etc. Generally people do around 45 minutes of intense cardio straight after a workout and eat quite clean if they're primarily endomorphs with weight to lose.

Yeah, Jogging isn't bad at all. Rowing ergometers are great too. HIIT is obviously the way to go..
I'm not overweight i just want to tone and get 10-12 bf%

What do you mean by endomorphs and HIIT?

And how hard should i work on the ergos, i can do 2km in 7 mins, but that's not what you mean is it?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not overweight i just want to tone and get 10-12 bf%

What do you mean by endomorphs and HIIT?

And how hard should i work on the ergos, i can do 2km in 7 mins, but that's not what you mean is it?
An endomorph is a body type which has good muscle density and heavy set bone structure, gains fat easily.

HIIT is basically training intensly in intervals. Take the ergs for example. Instead of doing 2k in one go, you'd do 100m sprints with a short break in between. That means going as hard as you can.
Bateman
Rep:
?
An endomorph is a body type which has good muscle density and heavy set bone structure, gains fat easily.

HIIT is basically training intensly in intervals. Take the ergs for example. Instead of doing 2k in one go, you'd do 100m sprints with a short break in between. That means going as hard as you can.

And for how long?

would this be a good idea;
jog to the gym ( 15mins) row for 30 mins The way you said, then swim for an hour?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not a beginer, you've got me worried but it's fine anyway i'm going back to alternate training when school starts in september.

Could you suggest a few ways i can rehabiliate my back in pm?
I've badly hurt my left infrapinatus or rhombodeus, and i get the odd muscle spazm now and then, i think i might go to do the doctor or something because resting it hasn't seemed to work.

And that's the problem; my goal, i want to do a few kg of weightloss to tone my body but i still want to build muscle, what do you suggest?

What is your fullbody program including what weights you use?
How much do you weigh?

Im afraid I dont know much about rehabing back injurys except for stretches and physio therapy. There should be a rehab centre nearby give them a call, its not very expensive (I paid £20 per session for my knee injury). Somebody else can probably give you some more info though.

Weightloss and gaining muscle are mutually exclusive. To gain muscle you must eat a calorie surplus, to lose weight you must eat a calorie deficit.
Most people bulk (gain) and then lose weight (cut).
So your best off cutting cardio to 1-2 sessions of HIIT or Metcon and doing weight training 3-5xweek. With a decent muscle group split. (this advice depends on your current level of strength btw)
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And for how long?

would this be a good idea;
jog to the gym ( 15mins) row for 30 mins The way you said, then swim for an hour?
Cut out the swimming. Also, Cardio is bad if you're trying to gain muscle. Although it will boost your fitness to a new level if you do that for an extended period of time.
Bateman
Rep:
?
Well i weigh 77kg
I'm working my calfs, thighs, gluts, obliques, upper and lower abs, lats, pecs delts, triceps, biceps and forearm.

So i couldn't work them and shed a few kg at the same time?

Also i thought swimming was the best on rest days
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
FB every other can screw your CNS, and you limit muscle growth time. If you are a beginner its fine.
That sounds like total *******s, can you explain your reasoning?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well i weigh 77kg
I'm working my calfs, thighs, gluts, obliques, upper and lower abs, lats, pecs delts, triceps, biceps and forearm.

So i couldn't work them and shed a few kg at the same time?

Also i thought swimming was the best on rest days
thats not a program thats a list of body parts :p:

A full body workout is not isolation exercises. It should last between 45-90mins tops. Something like Squat, deadlift, clean, row, bench, press would hit every muscle in your body.

Lets put it this way, muscle has weight. To increase your muscle size you must increase your muscles mass. Which means eating more calories. To burn fat you must eat less so your body breaks down your fat stores, it cannot build muscle if it is harvesting its own energy to survive can it?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
That sounds like total *******s, can you explain your reasoning?

Sounds like BS how comes? Lets say you are doing a heavy squat session lets say 130kg+ your body needs to to repair. By doing it again 1 day later it doesnt give it enough time. Beginners do not lift enough weight to put there CNS under enough stress to do any damage. Hench why programs such as 5x5, and starting strength have squats 3x per week. But a more advanced program such as WSBT uses different effort days.
Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
thats not a program thats a list of body parts :p:

A full body workout is not isolation exercises. It should last between 45-90mins tops. Something like Squat, deadlift, clean, row, bench, press would hit every muscle in your body.

Lets put it this way, muscle has weight. To increase your muscle size you must increase your muscles mass. Which means eating more calories. To burn fat you must eat less so your body breaks down your fat stores, it cannot build muscle if it is harvesting its own energy to survive can it?
But if it uses the energy to build muscle...?
Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
Sounds like BS how comes? Lets say you are doing a heavy squat session lets say 130kg+ your body needs to to repair. By doing it again 1 day later it doesnt give it enough time. Beginners do not lift enough weight to put there CNS under enough stress to do any damage. Hench why programs such as 5x5, and starting strength have squats 3x per week. But a more advanced program such as WSBT uses different effort days.

I don't squat at all, i want to tone and weight around 80kg, maybe that's why you think i need to bulk first?

It's perfectly possible to loose 2kg of fat and get my muscles big enough to show, is it not?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But if it uses the energy to build muscle...?

It doesnt work like that, if your body is burning its on fat to keep its cells alive. I.e. its struggling to keep its current cells alive, its not going to be building new cells is it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed