The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
francescarella
OMG at my interview at QM for drama the guy asked me where else i had applied and what offers! luckily at that point i'd only got my royal holloway offer and didnt know about central or manchester yet. i was a bit shocked they were allowed to ask that but oh well:p:

I got asked in Bristol too :smile: though she was really tentative about it and aware that she probably shouldn't be bringing it up 0_o.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reilly
I got asked in Bristol too :smile: though she was really tentative about it and aware that she probably shouldn't be bringing it up 0_o.

REILLY! ahhh not spoke to you in a wee while. my fellow drama pal:love:

and yeh, i think theyre all a bit paranoid as far as other unis and their offers are concerned. i mean QM still gave me an offer even though they knew RM had given me one. so i dunno why they even asked. eitehr that or they think theyre better than RH so were confident i'd accpet their offer. (i didnt lol).
They're allowed to ask, but it can't affect their decision. Which, at QM Drama, it definately doesn't.
do you get interviewed at Warwick for economics now?
Reply 24
I applied to Oxford and I was the first person on TSR to get an offer from Warwick (who posted in the offer holders thread). I applied for Maths, by the way. I got my offer late October I think.
francescarella
OMG at my interview at QM for drama the guy asked me where else i had applied and what offers! luckily at that point i'd only got my royal holloway offer and didnt know about central or manchester yet. i was a bit shocked they were allowed to ask that but oh well:p:

Hehe QMUL is nosy!
Reply 26
Swayum
I applied to Oxford and I was the first person on TSR to get an offer from Warwick (who posted in the offer holders thread). I applied for Maths, by the way. I got my offer late October I think.

I never did figure out how Warwick ordered their offers for maths... Considering they give out so many, you'd have thought it would just be a kind of "yup, predicted A's => offer" thing, but some people waited ages (well, nothing past January that I'm aware of, but yeah)
Reply 27
They must just pick out of a hat :p:.
Reply 28
I just heard that Warwick gives offers to almost everyone who applied to Maths? Well of course those people must have gained a good AS grades, does this happens to MORSE, too? Which course is more easier to recieve an offer? MORSE?MATHS or Maths&Eco?
Reply 29
Maths and Maths and Economics are judged in exactly the same way - no distinguishment is made between the two when you apply. Maths and related courses have an 87% offer rate (based on 2004 statistics I believe).

I don't know about MORSE but, presumably, it's harder to get an offer for because the actual offer is easier (the Maths offer is AAAA or equivalent).
Reply 30
This is absolute rubbish - a complete myth. I applied to Oxford and still got an offer from Warwick as did many of my friends. Furthermore, Warwick would be incredibly stupid to reject candidates purely on the basis that they applied before Oct 15th just incase they get into Oxford (they may not even have applied to Oxbridge).
Reply 31
Liliahh
so if I apply to oxbridge and Warwick, Warwick will unlikely to reject me because I've also applied to oxbridge?

They will not know you've applied to Oxbridge. Universities have no idea which other unis you are applying to.

There are rumours that the other elite unis (UCL, Durham, Warwick etc) are biased against Oxbridge applicants. This is not true. First of all they don't know if you have even applied to Oxbridge (it would be quite an assumption to make).

The people who spread these kinds of rumours are just trying to make excuses as to why the got rejected from a university. Take not notice of it at all.

I know this is Durham (history) but I feel it can be applied to other unis also (well, maybe not the interview bit).

"There is absolutely no truth in suggestions that are sometimes made, to the effect that we are biased against Oxbridge candidates. We do not know which of our applicants have applied to Oxbridge; and in practice very many of our students have also applied to Oxbridge. It is true that in some instances, candidates rejected by Durham are given offers by Oxbridge; this is not surprising since we have so many good applicants, and do not interview in the way that Oxbridge colleges do."

http://www.dur.ac.uk/history/undergraduate/faqs/
Reply 32
My friend applied for maths at Oxford, and has an offer for Warwick for maths.
Reply 33
Thanks a lot everyone, another 2 questions are:
* if u recieve an offer from Maths Dep say AAAa, capital A which u need A grades in all modules, does that mean u need to get straight As? will they allow u to get B at the beginning and then A in retake?
*Does Maths in UCL recruit in the similar way as Warwick? If u stand a good chance of getting in Warwick? does that mean u also stand a good chance for UCL? (as I believe many people here will have applied to both..)
Reply 34
Liliahh
* if u recieve an offer from Maths Dep say AAAa, capital A which u need A grades in all modules, does that mean u need to get straight As? will they allow u to get B at the beginning and then A in retake?
*Does Maths in UCL recruit in the similar way as Warwick? If u stand a good chance of getting in Warwick? does that mean u also stand a good chance for UCL? (as I believe many people here will have applied to both..)

No, the A is just overall for the subject. You don't need a A in every module. Providing you get As in the end (on results day) you've met the offer.

Warwick and UCL are no more similar than any other university. All universities have different admissions procedures (and applicants). Even if the entrace requirements are the same at both unis, and you receive an offer from one it doesn't mean you will stand a "good chance" of getting an other for the other..
Liliahh

It may be worth noting that for this years intake for maths, Warwick ask you to get A grades in each of C1-C4, but in general they don't ask you to get A's in every module for each of your A-Levels, they want an A grade overall.
Reply 36
River85
No, the A is just overall for the subject. You don't need a A in every module. Providing you get As in the end (on results day) you've met the offer.

Warwick and UCL are no more similar than any other university. All universities have different admissions procedures (and applicants). Even if the entrace requirements are the same at both unis, and you receive an offer from one it doesn't mean you will stand a "good chance" of getting an other for the other..

Actually this years (No STEP) Warwick maths offer was A(Maths, with A in C1-C4), A(Futher Maths), A, A. I didn't notice anything that said retakes weren't allowed.

Warwick select using their offer, not who they give it to as such. I would expect UCL to be a little harder to get an offer from.
pyrolol
Actually this years (No STEP) Warwick maths offer was A(Maths, with A in C1-C4), A(Futher Maths), A, A. I didn't notice anything that said retakes weren't allowed.

Warwick select using their offer, not who they give it to as such. I would expect UCL to be a little harder to get an offer from.

I think you still need A's in each of C1-C4 for all 3 of their offers, not just the offer in which you don't need STEP.
Reply 38
pyrolol

Yes, but that would be speicified in the offer, wouldn't it? I just mean that if any uni asked for AAA only they wouldn't care if the student managed to get an A in every module or not.
Reply 39
Liliahh
I heard this from my friend's brother, he is a really strong candidate and because he had applied to oxbridge as one of his options, he got rejected by Warwick straight away..I just wondering if everybody here who holds an offer from Warwick (Especially those from Maths, Stats and Ecno departments) did actually apply to Oxbridge, too? and did u questioned about it in the interview? what did u say? Or will they just reject you if the UCAS form was submited before 15 Oct?...
Thanks a lot.

load.of.rubbish.

Looks like he is making ill informed excuses for his rejection if you ask me...

Latest