The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law

Scroll to see replies

I’m confused. I had a family member die in May during my exams, why is not that extenuating circumstances? Sorry would you mind explaining?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
And why would I miss my AAA predictions?
Would you first mind explaining why my family member passing isn’t extenuating please?
On their website UCL say, or over an email, that they would require resits to have achieved A*AA overall, that resitters wouldn’t have to achieve higher grades so because I achieved the A*, I don’t need another
My question was more about would UCL not want to give another offer after i missed it last year?
Original post by harrysbar
Good for you for reporting it, it is racist as you say and Nottingham won't want to be associated with racism, no uni would. At least those people won't be allowed back next year - hopefully that will have taught them a lesson. After all, it's more stressful for the students then the staff at Clearing time so there's no excuse for rudeness no matter how busy they get.

Hi,

I called them just now and I told them my name (I’ve emailed so many times and haven’t been replied to at all) and they quickly were like oh it’s you okay sorry for not replying but we can’t give a time estimate on when the director of programmes will update your application with regards to my extenuating circumstances. It’s slightly frustrating, it’s been three weeks today and maybe I’m misunderstanding but it does not appear to be a big task to determine if one’s application should be considered and whether the circumstances count as extenuating. I’m not asking for a decision on my application in terms of offer or rejection, just a notification if it will be considered at all:redface:

I’m not quite sure what to do now. Maybe if they have not replied by next week I shall email again but it does not seem worth it because they are not replying or seeming to hurry up anyway.

They also said the only way I’ll be notified is through their email so I can’t even contact the director personally and ask.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I called them just now and I told them my name (I’ve emailed so many times and haven’t been replied to at all) and they quickly were like oh it’s you okay sorry for not replying but we can’t give a time estimate on when the director of programmes will update your application with regards to my extenuating circumstances. It’s slightly frustrating, it’s been three weeks today and maybe I’m misunderstanding but it does not appear to be a big task to determine if one’s application should be considered and whether the circumstances count as extenuating. I’m not asking for a decision on my application in terms of offer or rejection, just a notification if it will be considered at all:redface:

I’m not quite sure what to do now. Maybe if they have not replied by next week I shall email again but it does not seem worth it because they are not replying or seeming to hurry up anyway.

They also said the only way I’ll be notified is through their email so I can’t even contact the director personally and ask.

There's nothing more you can do but wait for their reply, maybe your phone call will have given them a bit of a prod, maybe not. It sound like it is not a straightforward decision for the director of programmes but surely they have to let you know soon. In the meantime, what about your other choices?
There's nothing more you can do but wait for their reply, maybe your phone call will have given them a bit of a prod, maybe not. It sound like it is not a straightforward decision for the director of programmes but surely they have to let you know soon. In the meantime, what about your other choices?

I never thought it’d take this long to make a decision (because I only formally applied three weeks ago but during summer I let them know and they said my case was being considered by the director of programmes, only officially did I get an email saying I was now definitely being considered three weeks ago). I’m curious why it is taking this long. I am evidently aware in the grand scheme of things three weeks is not long but nevertheless I’m nervous.

I’ve only applied to Oxford and UCL so far. I never liked London much except UCL so I’ll be adding Bristol, Leeds (as an insurance - they said they’d definitely consider me happily as I am taking two new subjects) and I’m not sure about the last.

I did get the equivalent of 10A*s at GCSE so I’m hoping they do see my grades were affected and I didn’t reach my potential (hopefully that did not come across completely arrogant!).

Thank you for your help. If you’re curious I shall keep you in the loop! The lady today also didn’t mock my accent so hopefully that’s a good sign:biggrin: (joking obviously!).
I think what struck me as a bit strange was that the lady on the phone said there is no timeframe whatsoever as to when the director has to let me know by. I asked if that means it could be more weeks but she insinuated it could be longer. I contacted LSE (as I also liked the location of it in London but I’m unsure still) and they said they could let me know about my circumstances being extenuating before I applied which is lovely.
I never thought it’d take this long to make a decision (because I only formally applied three weeks ago but during summer I let them know and they said my case was being considered by the director of programmes, only officially did I get an email saying I was now definitely being considered three weeks ago). I’m curious why it is taking this long. I am evidently aware in the grand scheme of things three weeks is not long but nevertheless I’m nervous.

I’ve only applied to Oxford and UCL so far. I never liked London much except UCL so I’ll be adding Bristol, Leeds (as an insurance - they said they’d definitely consider me happily as I am taking two new subjects) and I’m not sure about the last.

I did get the equivalent of 10A*s at GCSE so I’m hoping they do see my grades were affected and I didn’t reach my potential (hopefully that did not come across completely arrogant!).

Thank you for your help. If you’re curious I shall keep you in the loop! The lady today also didn’t mock my accent so hopefully that’s a good sign:biggrin: (joking obviously!).

Yes I would like to be kept in the loop, thank you.

I wish I could cast some insight as to why it is taking so long but I really can't. You don't come across as arrogant don't worry and hope you get a positive response from them soon :smile:

I wish I could cast some insight as to why it is taking so long but I really can't. You don't come across as arrogant don't worry and hope you get a positive response from them soon :smile:

I will do!

No worries about it, it seems odd to me but maybe that’s just my stress talking for me.

Hopefully! I’m hoping they don’t take much longer. I’ll get somewhat of a response from Oxford when I either get an interview or not but it’ll be nice to hear from UCL before that.

Do you think it’s worth emailing the director of programmes personally? I don’t think I should because I was told to just wait by the law admissions for her to make a decision but the first law offer has been made and I’m getting a bit annoyed that it’s taken this long. I know I should be patient but they’ve been in the loop since results day so I feel it’s very odd they haven’t had an update. I’m not waiting on an update on my application, I’m waiting to see if they’ll accept my application as valid due to my extenuating circumstances.
Do you think it’s worth emailing the director of programmes personally? I don’t think I should because I was told to just wait by the law admissions for her to make a decision but the first law offer has been made and I’m getting a bit annoyed that it’s taken this long. I know I should be patient but they’ve been in the loop since results day so I feel it’s very odd they haven’t had an update. I’m not waiting on an update on my application, I’m waiting to see if they’ll accept my application as valid due to my extenuating circumstances.

I don't think it will help your case although I can understand your impatience as offers start to come in. Why don't you add the other places to your UCAS that you know you want to apply to like Bristol and Leeds?
I don't think it will help your case although I can understand your impatience as offers start to come in. Why don't you add the other places to your UCAS that you know you want to apply to like Bristol and Leeds?

Because I’ve added Durham already and I want to wait for universities to reply before adding more in case I just get rejected

I’ll wait to see if I get an interview from Oxford
Because I’ve added Durham already and I want to wait for universities to reply before adding more in case I just get rejected

I’ll wait to see if I get an interview from Oxford

I know but if you get rejected from the unis you have applied to, that doesnt necessarily mean you will get rejected from Leeds or Bristol as they are less competive. Up to you of course
I know but if you get rejected from the unis you have applied to, that doesnt necessarily mean you will get rejected from Leeds or Bristol as they are less competive. Up to you of course

I'd just rather wait:redface:

I do hope they respond soon honestly. They have given our a few offers now and I am envious! Maybe if they have not replied by the end of November I'll call again/email the director of programmes directly. I hate to be a bother, but plenty of time has passed and surely it does not take this long to make a decision? I emailed them during summer as aforementioned, and I emailed before I applied 'officially' asking for advice August 29th. I was ignored and emailed again when I applied and that is when they told me they forwarded my case to the director. 3 months seems plenty, no?

The problem is that when I called the lady immediately said 'oh' when I said my name because she recognised it from the countless emails and said the director does not have to make a decision until March. That is why I thought it maybe worthwhile to contact the director personally, as it may give her a small nudge as the lady on the phone said she couldn't really 'nudge' her herself.
It is disappointing. All I need to know is whether they'll accept my application because of my circumstances last year
Hello @harrysbar

Still nothing from UCL, but have a Keble interview at Oxford in December. Do you think this means my circumstances have been accepted by them? Do you think I’ll be at a disadvantage still?
word of advice - stop worrying about the weak parts of your application and concentrate on knocking their socks off at the interview at Keble. Impress them and they will overlook everything else.

Congratulations and Good luck!
Hello @harrysbar

Still nothing from UCL, but have a Keble interview at Oxford in December. Do you think this means my circumstances have been accepted by them? Do you think I’ll be at a disadvantage still?

Yes I think the fact that Oxford have given you an interview shows that they have accepted that your circumstances were responsible for you not doing as well as predicted last year. You’re not at a disadvantage, you just need to focus on the interview now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending