Yazzm37
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am a Business Management graduate but haven’t done well with my education. The college I attended was terrible and basically ruined my education. I am currently a Change Coach where I help and mentor people getting back to work. The job is rewarding but I’ve realised this isn’t what I want to do long term. I earn a good wage and was promoted to the role, originally being an Assistant.

One thing I’ve always loved and was keen on was numbers and Maths! I took a few practise AAT exams online and passed them! I want to ask, from having a second lower division in my degree and only getting MM from my extended diploma in Business (the college was sooo bad!), how can I pursue the career of my dreams! I want to become an accountant 😓😓

I was suffering from mental health conditions during my time in Uni hence why I didn’t do as well as I could’ve. I am fairly disappointed in myself but want to redeem myself. Any advise on how to become an accountant would be heavily appreciated. Thank you
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I may be able to suggest some routes but would note that not having A levels - or a strong degree to compensate - does make things more difficult.

What sort of accountancy work interests you? Which part of the country are you in? Can you afford a significant drop in pay?
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yazzm37)
Hi, I am a Business Management graduate but haven’t done well with my education. The college I attended was terrible and basically ruined my education. I am currently a Change Coach where I help and mentor people getting back to work. The job is rewarding but I’ve realised this isn’t what I want to do long term. I earn a good wage and was promoted to the role, originally being an Assistant.

One thing I’ve always loved and was keen on was numbers and Maths! I took a few practise AAT exams online and passed them! I want to ask, from having a second lower division in my degree and only getting MM from my extended diploma in Business (the college was sooo bad!), how can I pursue the career of my dreams! I want to become an accountant 😓😓

I was suffering from mental health conditions during my time in Uni hence why I didn’t do as well as I could’ve. I am fairly disappointed in myself but want to redeem myself. Any advise on how to become an accountant would be heavily appreciated. Thank you
Hi,

yes i understand that and am open to any routes that are worth it. I don’t mind a significant pay drop either. I am determined to makes it!
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
I may be able to suggest some routes but would note that not having A levels - or a strong degree to compensate - does make things more difficult.

What sort of accountancy work interests you? Which part of the country are you in? Can you afford a significant drop in pay?

ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If I were you I would study some accounting exams (either AAT or ACCA papers 1-3) while staying in the job that you have to firstly get some knowledge and secondly make sure that you can cope with the exams, and working and studying at the same time.
Yazzm37
Rep:
?

What sort of accoyuntancy work interests you? Which part of the country are you in? Can you afford a significant drop in pay?

Hi,

yes i understand that and am open to any routes that are worth it. I don’t mind a significant pay drop either. I am determined to makes it!
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
If I were you I would study some accounting exams (either AAT or ACCA papers 1-3) while staying in the job that you have to firstly get some knowledge and secondly make sure that you can cope with the exams, and working and studying at the same time.
Good shout! Thanks
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, since I made this thread I have been working as a Finance Assistant and am getting more drawn towards the ACCA option. Thanks for your advice
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, since I made this thread I have been working as a Finance Assistant and am getting more drawn towards the ACCA option. Thanks for your advice
Hey, well done! That was quick! Best of luck.
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
Hey, well done! That was quick! Best of luck.
Thank you! Have you completed or currently studying ACCA?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! Have you completed or currently studying ACCA?
No - I qualified as ACA a long time ago, but have had numerous staff members studying for ACCA or CIMA.
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
No - I qualified as ACA a long time ago, but have had numerous staff members studying for ACCA or CIMA.
Could I please ask for some tips? best study provider? Best way to pass quickly but effectively? I don't know If I can do it, I'm completely new to this game but am very eager!
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could I please ask for some tips? best study provider? Best way to pass quickly but effectively? I don't know If I can do it, I'm completely new to this game but am very eager!
A lot comes down to money and time. I wouldn't try to spend too much money on the first few exams. I would look up Open tuition as its free and gets good feedback and try to clear the first three papers pretty quickly so you are on the road. Also check the ACCA website to see if you have any exemptions.

The key thing is to do lots and lots of practice questions and practice papers. Reading a text book a few times is pointless - you need to be able to apply what you learn.
Yazzm37
Rep:
?
A lot comes down to money and time. I wouldn't try to spend too much money on the first few exams. I would look up Open tuition as its free and gets good feedback and try to clear the first three papers pretty quickly so you are on the road. Also check the ACCA website to see if you have any exemptions.

The key thing is to do lots and lots of practice questions and practice papers. Reading a text book a few times is pointless - you need to be able to apply what you learn.
Thank you soo much for your help, I really appreciate it <3
ICAEW Careers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi Yazzm37,

There are some routes into becoming a qualified ICAEW Chartered Accountant and studying towards the ACA qualification, that does not require a degree.

Take a look at our school leaver routes.

Thanks.
ICAEW
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (5)
45.45%
No (6)
54.55%
Don't know (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed