The Student Room Group

is an economic degree worth it?

stuck between medicine & econ, have to send off application real soon..
equally interested in both. i feel like medicine is a really noble career, whilst econs for me is very interesting & is something im naturally good at.
a level subjects allow me to do either : A*A*A*A predicted for chem, math, econ, further maths respectively. if im being honest, the pay for medicine is whats attracting me.. my question is: can i earn as much as a doctor through an econs degree? if i were to get it id probs branch into actuarial science or investment banking, would these pay well (as good as a doctor), even if i wanted to live in places like Sydney, Australia?

(if this thread offends u, pls dont reply,, im just desperate & seeking opportunities. i understand that the worth of degrees & the utility they give you is not solely based off of pay, its just something that matters to me).
Reply 1
uhhhh if you were to apply to medicine for uni, shouldnt you have already sent off your application....? but i honestly dont think doing medicine just because it pays well is a good idea, many ppl go into medicine because of the money and they end up hating their jobs, and as they srudied medicine for so many years, they cant really find another career.

also why do you think finance doesnt pay well xd. im pretty certain if you go into finance, you get paid soooo much and you could always move into other career paths if you didnt really enjoy working in finance. the only downside is that some people really find finance boring, but itll depend.

this may not be true but i personally believe that if you truly enjoy what you are doing, youd work better at it and so you're more likely to get promoted and paid more. so yeah, maybe this reply might help xd
not to put a downer on things but the deadline for applying to medicine was almost a month ago... investment banking would pay well if you can work your way up. pick whichever degree you feel you would enjoy most, not based on the pay you would have later (although both jobs do present a decent wage) as the debt won’t seem worth it if all that money’s gone towards something you aren’t passionate about.
Reply 3
oh sorryy i forgot to specify - i'd be applying to Australian universities, so the deadline is in a while still
Original post by Anonymous
oh sorryy i forgot to specify - i'd be applying to Australian universities, so the deadline is in a while still

I don’t know how the Australian application works but if you’re still unsure could you apply for both courses and then decide? If not, then I’d suggest going with economics as you’ve said you find it very interesting, it’ll be rough spending 5-7 years doing medicine if you don’t find it interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending