How do i claim my tax back?? Watch

~chickydee~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey!
I'm 17 and work part time at tesco and on my first wage i got taxed like £80. I'm in full time education and so i got told i could claim it back. But how do i go about doing it? Also how long does it take?

Thanks !
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/over...x_back_1_1.htm
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you cotinuing to work there or was it a one off?

If you are then you must continue to pay tax, wait until the end of the tax year (April 5th 09) then if you are eligible you can claim it back.

You may not be elegible for tax refund if you are earning over a certain amount (it depends how much you earn overall each year, which can't be calcualted until the end of the year!!)
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I filled out a P45 where I work (either that one or a P46) to stop tax and on my last wage slip I got my tax back.
jh_1988_england
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
i didnt know you could ...i worked as a temp over summer last year...i new it was temp (as i also had another job)...so i got super taxd ...would i be able to claim it back...if so how, thanx for any help
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
I filled out a P45 where I work (either that one or a P46) to stop tax and on my last wage slip I got my tax back.
I would be worried if you filled in a P45. Have you just stopped working there?
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jh_1988_england)
i didnt know you could ...i worked as a temp over summer last year...i new it was temp (as i also had another job)...so i got super taxd ...would i be able to claim it back...if so how, thanx for any help
You need to get your P60 from the people you went to work with (or the temp agency if you did it through them), as this shows how much you have earnt/paid tax on, throughout the year and thus, can work out if you are owed money. Although you may find this difficult as it was last summer (lol)

Did you have any other jobs from April 06 to April 07?
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Orthala)
I would be worried if you filled in a P45. Have you just stopped working there?
No I'm still there. In that case it was a P46!
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
No I'm still there. In that case it was a P46!
lol doubt it was that either. A P46 is for you if you lost P45. Maybe it was P60? (end of year certificate?)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ax/DG_10013512
jh_1988_england
Report 10 years ago
You need to get your P60 from the people you went to work with (or the temp agency if you did it through them), as this shows how much you have earnt/paid tax on, throughout the year and thus, can work out if you are owed money. Although you may find this difficult as it was last summer (lol)

Did you have any other jobs from April 06 to April 07?
ahh gutted, yeah i worked in the same place from when i was like 15-until october 2007, the place i worked over last summer was belfour beatty (probs spelt wrong lol)...my mate got me a job there over summer because loads of the staff were going on hol-was good pay though il have a dig around my room to try and find it-what do i do if i find it?... sorry for the kinda dumb questions lol
i really should pay more attention, dont suppose you know anything about bank charges (when you go overdrawn) do you lol
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
March down the tax office with a shotgun and demand it back "or there will be trouble"
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol doubt it was that either. A P46 is for you if you lost P45. Maybe it was P60? (end of year certificate?)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ax/DG_10013512
Eh I can't remember. It was either a P46 or a P60 but it's gone through anyway.
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jh_1988_england)
ahh gutted, yeah i worked in the same place from when i was like 15-until october 2007, the place i worked over last summer was belfour beatty (probs spelt wrong lol)...my mate got me a job there over summer because loads of the staff were going on hol-was good pay though il have a dig around my room to try and find it-what do i do if i find it?... sorry for the kinda dumb questions lol
i really should pay more attention, dont suppose you know anything about bank charges (when you go overdrawn) do you lol
Ha no sorry. I have been ignoring the whole thing. I dare not get an overdraft as I would go on a spending spree!!

You can fill in an R40 form for claiming tax back:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.pdf

But they ask for the amounts on your P60 (hence why you need it).

If you ring the place up they maybe able to give you a copy, but if its a really small company they may not have it. But pester and they could give you one.
jh_1988_england
Report 10 years ago
sound, chears mate
~chickydee~
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've only worked there 2 months and i've quit the job. So i've got to wait until April to claim it back? Argh!
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
£80 is nothing
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's a stupid thing to say if you're broke £80 is a lot
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reflexive)
That's a stupid thing to say if you're broke £80 is a lot
Sorry didnt see OP is 17
d23ward
Report 10 years ago
Get either a P60, P45 or a Statement of Earnings from your employer, at the same time ask them for the address of their local tax office (not your local) and get them to right you a letter explaining your situation. Send it all off by recorded post and you should have your money in no time. I would of thought Tescos would be more helpful!...Down with local economy destroying companies I say!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.08%
No - but I will (21)
5.75%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
49.04%

Watched Threads