Law with European studies Watch

Joe D D Morgan
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For the Law with European studies course at Oxford, could someone please enlighten me as to what level of proficiency in French would be required for access to said course, please?
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...urses/law.html

"Course II students spend their third year of study at a university in France, Germany, Italy, or Spain (studying French, German, Italian, or Spanish law) ... There are language requirements (normally an A grade at A-level or equivalent) for entry to the course for France, Germany, Italy and Spain"

and

"Candidates for Law with Law Studies in Europe who are applying for the French, German, Italian or Spanish law options may be given an oral test in the relevant European language at the time of interview"

So I would guess at pretty fluent but not near-native.

DtS
ravenous_soup_dragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After Mods the Law Fac sends round emails offering places on the course to people who do Course 1 (i.e. no language.) The Spanish & German ones said straight off that A at A2 or equivalent would be necessary to apply, but the French one didn't. Having a B at AS I eagerly asked if I could still apply if I faithfully promised to 'learn lots of French' - and I was immediately told applying wasn't worth my time :p: The reason they gave was that it is expected that applicants who begin Course 2 will have an A at their language already and so it would be unfair to drop their standards for people like me who were attempting to blag their way into a year abroad!
jet'aime
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As the posters above me have already said, you should be predicted/already have an A in French A-Level. I applied for the German equivalent, and the oral test required more or less the same level of fluency in/understanding of German that is needed in the A2 Level oral exam.
trina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's worth noting that although you need an A at A-level in the subject, Oxford only test it through a short oral- there's no written element to it (or wasn't when I interviewed for it a couple of years ago).

Also, there is no language requirement if you want to go to Leiden. It is pretty competitive to get into though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads