Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm in my 2nd year at university now at Sheffield. I feel like I've made no close friends during this time and my mental health is starting to deteriorate as a result of this. I'm doing my best to try and change this, I've joined the athletics society, eating well and trying to keep physically fit (going to the gym three times a week). I made the decision live in halls again as my first year flatmates fell out but I've ended up living with people who don't drink and are very antisocial. I haven't seen one of my flatmates for weeks.

I'm also increasingly anxious over next years housing as I don't know who I will live with.

I feel like I could go through all three years of my degree with no close friends and could be lonely for all three years.

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to improve my uni experience and accommodation tips for next year?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I feel exactly the same... second year and I haven’t made any close friends, even though I take part in a few societies events. During lectures everyone’s obviously focused and you cant talk to each other. I guess the question is... How do you make friends with people at uni?
Cheesybread
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I had a similar problem when i was in sheffield, in my second year, i went with some flats in town, home for students, can't remember building name, i asked and got put in with people my year, made some good friends there. It is just luck sometimes. Don't fret, keep going to all things on your society you'll make friends in no time
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Cheesybread)
I had a similar problem when i was in sheffield, in my second year, i went with some flats in town, home for students, can't remember building name, i asked and got put in with people my year, made some good friends there. It is just luck sometimes. Don't fret, keep going to all things on your society you'll make friends in no time
I understand this, but I’m struggling even with my society and I’m trying to figure out other ways to make friends because I’m really isolated, I don’t want this to be the way my university experience goes.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 days ago
Going through some similar as well. I'm in 2nd year and have a total of 0 friends. Not even close people. Just have a bunch of acquaintances who don't seem to make the effort on their end. I'm always making the first moves with them and nothing gets done. (Arranging to meet up in breaks / or doing things outside of uni) I've given up. I did apply to live in halls again, but i live in private halls and hardly see my flatmates. I'm sharing with two girls who go to different uni's than me. Since I moved it I've only seen them like 4 times and that was early in October. Did the societies as well, feel like I'm the only continuously making the effort. Starting to get annoying as well.
ARUStudents
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Second year can be just as hard, if not harder than first year but there are plenty of people who are in the same boat as you. Loneliness is extremely common especially when living in halls but it sounds like you are making a good effort to try to make friends! I was in a similar position to you and the one place I really found friends was on my course. There are plenty of places and opportunities to make friends, so don't give up! You are obviously trying very hard and I'm sure that it will pay off.

Just continue your very healthy practices and get involved as much as you can- within your course, society and any other opportunities led by your SU. You may even find friends in unexpected places like your gym, or if you have a job, at work! Sometimes finding friends can just be down to luck so don't stop putting in the effort just because it hasn't worked out a few times in the past.

Don't forget to keep in touch with family and friends back home because that can also make a HUGE difference.

Hope this helped, and hope you find some friends soon!

Zoe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.94%
No (61)
35.06%

Watched Threads