fares22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In reactions at equilibrium, when the conditions change like temperature and pressure and concentration and the changes happen according to le chateliers principle, what does it actually mean when the equilibrium shifts to the right for example. I memorised this stuff in gcse but I don't really understand what it means. What does it mean by the equilibrium shifts?

Also, is a reaction in equilibrium just a reaction where the rate of the forward and backward reaction are the same?

Please clarify
Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fares22)
In reactions at equilibrium, when the conditions change like temperature and pressure and concentration and the changes happen according to le chateliers principle, what does it actually mean when the equilibrium shifts to the right for example. I memorised this stuff in gcse but I don't really understand what it means. What does it mean by the equilibrium shifts?

Also, is a reaction in equilibrium just a reaction where the rate of the forward and backward reaction are the same?

Please clarify
Dynamic equilibrium is when the rate of the forwards reaction is equal to the rate of the backwards reaction. So consider the Haber process (3H^2 + N^2----> 2NH3). This forward reaction is endothermic. When they give you a reaction and they want you to consider if the forward reaction is endothermic or exothermic, they would give you DeltaH. If DeltaH is positive, FORWARD reaction is endothermic and vice versa for exothermic.

So if a reaction is at eqm, it is happy- if anything is disturbed it gets angry. So let's say there are 30 students in a class and the teacher prefers it to only be 30 students, if 2 more students come in, the teacher would remove 2 students to put it back to 30 students. So if the forward reaction is endothermic, and you increase the temperature, the system would try to oppose this change by decreasing the temperature- hence the equilibrium shifts towards the endothermic side. 'Equilibrium shifting' basically means where the reaction produces more of. If it shifts to the left, it makes more products, and if it shifts to the left, it makes more reactants.

Pressure depends on moles of gas species (only pressure would be applied to gaseous species). If you increase pressure, it moves to side with fewer gas moles and vice versa.

Increasing conc of reactants, would cause the system to increase the conc of products so the ratio is balanced again.

Another other questions, just head to my Thread in which I help A-level students with bio or chem- check my profile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.19%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.48%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.38%

Watched Threads