BiologyTextbook
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m writing an essay with the title:

“How the structure and function mitochondria are adapted to release energy optimally”

A little wordy, I know. The issue is, I’ve been required to come up with three sub-headings for this topic (its 1200 words-ish). My original were:

-Why ATP is the most optimal form of energy (because ATP synthesis is how mitochondria release energy)

-Why aerobic respiration is more favourable than anaerobic respiration. (because mitochondria are required for aerobic respiration)

-The advantages of having membrane-bound organelles (because there are some prokaryotes that can synthesise ATP through aerobic respiration with ATPase so I wanted to explain why mitochondria are more optimal. Also it’s a good time to talk about structure when discussing membranes.)

That’s all well and good, but my group tutor says “If you spend a lot of space describing why aerobic respiration is more favourable than anaerobic respiration, that is not directly relating structure and function (or how mitochondria are adapted to carry out respiration). Certainly you need one mention of what aerobic respiration is, but I would say that this could be contained to two sentences.”, then told me to nix the first two bullet points, as ATP themselves is not relevant enough to the structure and function of mitochondria.

So basically, I’m left wondering what on earth to make my paragraphs on on such a broad topic that doesn’t lend itself easily to categorisation.

Any thoughts?
tocka90
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Start with easy stuff, so structure and function

Double membrane - inner and outer membrane, here pyruvate is actively transported from cytoplasm from glycolysis
Cristae - adapration - increase SA for oxidative phosphorylation, here ETC and chemiosmosis
Matrix - reminder of mitochondria, contains enzymes, here Link reaction and Krebs cycle
Mitochondria has its own DNA and ribosomes so they can synthesise enzymes and proteins involved in respiration

Aerobic respiration - ATP is produced in glycolysis (4-2=2 net), Krebs cycle (substrate level phosphorylation) and most ETC (32-36 depends on book).

Plenty adaptations like reduced NAD and FAD provides electrons and hydrogen ions, these accepted by O2 in ETC, make water. Another adaptation proteins. Surface area. Etc.
Might we worth refreshing respiration by watching a level biology with miss jercha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads