What a levels did you choose for your law degree? Watch

Alevellawwjec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Law students - degree. What a levels did you choose?
Zahra_2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I will be doing law next yr at uni hopefully. I do Literature, Philosophy (RS) and History. I suggest and everyone I asked b4 suggested for me to do essay based subjects and ones that get you thinking in a critical and evaluative way. I've been told my subjects are great for law but it is hard cuz they are all essay based. Go with the subjects you like that are essay-based. Sociology is also good.

Note: apparently A level law is useless and just puts you off the subject. Also, people say that unis dislike it when students do A level law as they have to unteach them everything. but overall I suggest not doing law A level as you will be doing it for all of uni and probs your life so do something different. If you want to get a taste of law and see whether you like it or not you don't necessarily have to do it at A level- simply research about it, go taster days and summer schools and join things like Pathways to Law.
Zahra_2001
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Zahra_2001)
I will be doing law next yr at uni hopefully. I do Literature, Philosophy (RS) and History. I suggest and everyone I asked b4 suggested for me to do essay based subjects and ones that get you thinking in a critical and evaluative way. I've been told my subjects are great for law but it is hard cuz they are all essay based. Go with the subjects you like that are essay-based. Sociology is also good.

Note: apparently A level law is useless and just puts you off the subject. Also, people say that unis dislike it when students do A level law as they have to unteach them everything. but overall I suggest not doing law A level as you will be doing it for all of uni and probs your life so do something different. If you want to get a taste of law and see whether you like it or not you don't necessarily have to do it at A level- simply research about it, go taster days and summer schools and join things like Pathways to Law.
I forgot to say, Politics is a great subject for it too. I regret not picking it. If you're interested in Politics pick it.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Alevellawwjec)
People do a range of subjects, it doesn't normally matter which ones although some unis prefer one essay based subject. Unis will accept Law A level too, the information about them not liking it is not right. Here is the list of preferred and non preferred subjects from LSE (look under subject combinations)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Ignore this OP
Zahra_2001
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
People do a range of subjects, it doesn't normally matter which ones although some unis prefer one essay based subject. Unis will accept Law A level too, the information about them not liking it is not right. Here is the list of preferred and non preferred subjects from LSE (look under subject combinations)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information
(Original post by dyingstudent101)
Ignore this OP
my bad if the information about law A level is wrong. It's just what I heard and seen online about it.
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
my bad if the information about law A level is wrong. It's just what I heard and seen online about it.
Please don’t distribute info without research yourself!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Mistakes happen - don't worry. :fluffy:

That said, A level Law is perfectly acceptable and universities like Oxbridge have testified to this.
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
That's a bit harsh...
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm also a prospective law undergraduate for 2020 entry and I take English Literature, History and Politics. Of all those I would say History provides the best preparation, especially in terms of essay writing I would say no other A Level can match it (in my experience of the quality of responses you
are expected to give)
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
That's a bit harsh...
I’m just so over repeating myself. It’s not harsh, why would someone talk about something as if they know about it without having done any research whatsoever?
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’m just so over repeating myself. It’s not harsh, why would someone talk about something as if they know about it without having done any research whatsoever?
I just think you need to take a step back and remember you're not an expert you're quite literally in the same boat as everyone else and this high horse you are on is quite unsightly.
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
I just think you need to take a step back and remember you're not an expert you're quite literally in the same boat as everyone else and this high horse you are on is quite unsightly.
I agree with you. I don’t claim to be an expert whatsoever. I’m aware I don’t know much about stuff like this which is why I research

Zahra_2001 I do apologise if you were so offended by my comment, tbf it came off much harsher than intended, I said ‘please’ because I was quite literally pleading you. Just do your own research, it’s easy to fall into the myths of tsr.
Last edited by dyingstudent101; 6 days ago
CinderBl0k
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’ll be doing law next year hopefully. When I went to an open day for a university, they said that when it comes to studying law, there’s no constraints as to what A levels you study, they all bring something to the table - minus the ‘soft subjects’.

Personally I am studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science & the person I was speaking to at the open day said that they are all very good for law as you’ll have the analytical, critical thinking and problem solving mind set. Moreover, I’m also head boy, which he said that it that also helps as it develops your articulation, how you speak, body language and improves your confidence in public speaking. So I’d say go for the middle, do one or two essay and maybe one science or the other way round.

The choice is really up to you, as I’ve mentioned, Law takes most A-levels.
makeup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Alevellawwjec)
If u can do a level law, I’m so glad I picked it as I’m currently in my first year of a law degree & everything I’m learning is a level law so I’ve seen everything before & my friends at other unis doing law who have taken a level law have said exactly the same
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Doesn't matter. The most common combos for the
law degrees at various universities can be found on archived versions of university.which.com. You can also request this data through UCAS or whatdotheyknow.com
Zahra_2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I do agree with you that we have to research ourselves before distributing info- and I have researched about it and that's what I meant by what "I've seen online". But yes it's not thorough research and it's mostly based on what family friends who are doing law at uni have said.
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I do agree with you that we have to research ourselves before distributing info- and I have researched about it and that's what I meant by what "I've seen online". But yes it's not thorough research and it's mostly based on what family friends who are doing law at uni have said.
Thank you
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by makeup)
If u can do a level law, I’m so glad I picked it as I’m currently in my first year of a law degree & everything I’m learning is a level law so I’ve seen everything before & my friends at other unis doing law who have taken a level law have said exactly the same
Which university is this?
Zahra_2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Which university is this?
it's a family friend and idk them personally but I think one of them is at SOAS but can't remember the other
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (29)
65.91%
No (15)
34.09%

Watched Threads