The Student Room Group

What a levels did you choose for your law degree?

Law students - degree. What a levels did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

I will be doing law next yr at uni hopefully. I do Literature, Philosophy (RS) and History. I suggest and everyone I asked b4 suggested for me to do essay based subjects and ones that get you thinking in a critical and evaluative way. I've been told my subjects are great for law but it is hard cuz they are all essay based. Go with the subjects you like that are essay-based. Sociology is also good.

Note: apparently A level law is useless and just puts you off the subject. Also, people say that unis dislike it when students do A level law as they have to unteach them everything. but overall I suggest not doing law A level as you will be doing it for all of uni and probs your life so do something different. If you want to get a taste of law and see whether you like it or not you don't necessarily have to do it at A level- simply research about it, go taster days and summer schools and join things like Pathways to Law.
Original post by Zahra_2001
I will be doing law next yr at uni hopefully. I do Literature, Philosophy (RS) and History. I suggest and everyone I asked b4 suggested for me to do essay based subjects and ones that get you thinking in a critical and evaluative way. I've been told my subjects are great for law but it is hard cuz they are all essay based. Go with the subjects you like that are essay-based. Sociology is also good.

Note: apparently A level law is useless and just puts you off the subject. Also, people say that unis dislike it when students do A level law as they have to unteach them everything. but overall I suggest not doing law A level as you will be doing it for all of uni and probs your life so do something different. If you want to get a taste of law and see whether you like it or not you don't necessarily have to do it at A level- simply research about it, go taster days and summer schools and join things like Pathways to Law.

I forgot to say, Politics is a great subject for it too. I regret not picking it. If you're interested in Politics pick it.
Original post by Alevellawwjec

People do a range of subjects, it doesn't normally matter which ones although some unis prefer one essay based subject. Unis will accept Law A level too, the information about them not liking it is not right. Here is the list of preferred and non preferred subjects from LSE (look under subject combinations)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

Ignore this OP
Original post by harrysbar
People do a range of subjects, it doesn't normally matter which ones although some unis prefer one essay based subject. Unis will accept Law A level too, the information about them not liking it is not right. Here is the list of preferred and non preferred subjects from LSE (look under subject combinations)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

Original post by dyingstudent101
Ignore this OP

my bad if the information about law A level is wrong. It's just what I heard and seen online about it.
my bad if the information about law A level is wrong. It's just what I heard and seen online about it.

Please don’t distribute info without research yourself!

Mistakes happen - don't worry. :fluffy:

That said, A level Law is perfectly acceptable and universities like Oxbridge have testified to this.

That's a bit harsh...
I'm also a prospective law undergraduate for 2020 entry and I take English Literature, History and Politics. Of all those I would say History provides the best preparation, especially in terms of essay writing I would say no other A Level can match it (in my experience of the quality of responses you
are expected to give)
Original post by ohdearstudying
That's a bit harsh...

I’m just so over repeating myself. It’s not harsh, why would someone talk about something as if they know about it without having done any research whatsoever?
I’m just so over repeating myself. It’s not harsh, why would someone talk about something as if they know about it without having done any research whatsoever?

I just think you need to take a step back and remember you're not an expert you're quite literally in the same boat as everyone else and this high horse you are on is quite unsightly.
Original post by ohdearstudying
I just think you need to take a step back and remember you're not an expert you're quite literally in the same boat as everyone else and this high horse you are on is quite unsightly.

I agree with you. I don’t claim to be an expert whatsoever. I’m aware I don’t know much about stuff like this which is why I research:wink:

@Zahra_2001 I do apologise if you were so offended by my comment, tbf it came off much harsher than intended, I said ‘please’ because I was quite literally pleading you. Just do your own research, it’s easy to fall into the myths of tsr.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ll be doing law next year hopefully. When I went to an open day for a university, they said that when it comes to studying law, there’s no constraints as to what A levels you study, they all bring something to the table - minus the ‘soft subjects’.

Personally I am studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science & the person I was speaking to at the open day said that they are all very good for law as you’ll have the analytical, critical thinking and problem solving mind set. Moreover, I’m also head boy, which he said that it that also helps as it develops your articulation, how you speak, body language and improves your confidence in public speaking. So I’d say go for the middle, do one or two essay and maybe one science or the other way round.

The choice is really up to you, as I’ve mentioned, Law takes most A-levels.
Reply 14

If u can do a level law, I’m so glad I picked it as I’m currently in my first year of a law degree & everything I’m learning is a level law so I’ve seen everything before & my friends at other unis doing law who have taken a level law have said exactly the same

I do agree with you that we have to research ourselves before distributing info- and I have researched about it and that's what I meant by what "I've seen online". But yes it's not thorough research and it's mostly based on what family friends who are doing law at uni have said.
I do agree with you that we have to research ourselves before distributing info- and I have researched about it and that's what I meant by what "I've seen online". But yes it's not thorough research and it's mostly based on what family friends who are doing law at uni have said.

Thank you
it's a family friend and idk them personally but I think one of them is at SOAS but can't remember the other
Reply 18
Every uni is like that x
Reply 19

I'm at the University of Leeds doing a Law LLB and personally I did A-Levels in Law, English Language and Psychology with an EPQ as well but honestly it varies so much - seems like everyone I ask did different to me and a lot of my course didn't do Law at A-Level so there's no pressure to do Law at A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending