Everyone is so much more intelligent than me Watch

Lostx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My whole life is a lie. I was relatively intelligent as a youngster, and seemed to be close to or superseding the class at school. Now though, I struggle to remember simple things such as one thought I have, then a few minutes later I forget. When I try to talk I stumble on words sometimes as I forget what the subject of the conversation is or what I am trying to say.

I think the meds I am on have dampened down my memory skills, make me feel numb and like a walking shadow. I am in hospital for a psychiatric problem and feel cutoff from society. I am a social anomaly.

I consider myself to be stupid and my intelligence has been slowly decreasing as the years have gone by (beginning when taking my A-levels). I skipped class, my grades dropped, was terrified to leave the house. Became incredibly paranoid and my mental health seems to have reduced concordantly.

Please help and tell me what is up with me. I am a failure of society
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
...I am a failure of society
No one is a failure, you are certainly not one.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Treat yourself with yourself with compassion. Degrading and berating yourself will not help you to recover.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No one is a failure, you are certainly not one.
I think I am. I am wasting resources which could help someone else. I am wasting money. I have no life skills because I have been locked up since I was 18. I am definitely a complete and utter failure. I let my school down because I did not achieve good A-levels, I have just decreased in mental capacity with time.
LadyMcCartney4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can identify with you. When I was young my family considered me to be very bright, but over the years I've accumulated mental health problems that just seems to have fried my brain and now I can barely concentrate on anything. Everyone expected me to make something of myself but now I'm 27 and my life is going nowhere.
At least you're getting the help you need. It might be worth talking to your psychiatrist about the dosage of the medication.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Treat yourself with yourself with compassion. Degrading and berating yourself will not help you to recover.
Yes, you’re right. I am only pointing out the clear faults in myself.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Yes, you’re right. I am only pointing out the clear faults in myself.
Everyone has faults. And I don't think memory issues mean you are less intelligent, you just have to do things differently to how you used to do things.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by LadyMcCartney4)
I can identify with you. When I was young my family considered me to be very bright, but over the years I've accumulated mental health problems that just seems to have fried my brain and now I can barely concentrate on anything. Everyone expected me to make something of myself but now I'm 27 and my life is going nowhere.
At least you're getting the help you need. It might be worth talking to your psychiatrist about the dosage of the medication.
Snap.

I have discussed this with my psychiatrist and she said I am on the best meds there are.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Everyone has faults. And I don't think memory issues mean you are less intelligent, you just have to do things differently to how you used to do things.
I guess you’re right. Thank you.
Zarin_176
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
My whole life is a lie. I was relatively intelligent as a youngster, and seemed to be close to or superseding the class at school. Now though, I struggle to remember simple things such as one thought I have, then a few minutes later I forget. When I try to talk I stumble on words sometimes as I forget what the subject of the conversation is or what I am trying to say.

I think the meds I am on have dampened down my memory skills, make me feel numb and like a walking shadow. I am in hospital for a psychiatric problem and feel cutoff from society. I am a social anomaly.

I consider myself to be stupid and my intelligence has been slowly decreasing as the years have gone by (beginning when taking my A-levels). I skipped class, my grades dropped, was terrified to leave the house. Became incredibly paranoid and my mental health seems to have reduced concordantly.

Don’t put yourself down. There’s nothing wrong with you. Just think positive. So what if you take long to remember something. I do too. That doesn’t make me stupid. I just take longer to get info in my head. You are worthy. You are strong. You are intelligent.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why would you wanna be like everyone else anyway? Ergh
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)

Your constantly on here talking about the issues you face, think it’s time you get help my friend
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Snap.

I have discussed this with my psychiatrist and she said I am on the best meds there are.
it's not much of a life is it.
still she may be able to lower the dose once you're feeling more stable.
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Your constantly on here talking about the issues you face, think it’s time you get help my friend
they're in a psychiatric ward. they're already getting help.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)

Being intelligent is not the most important thing in life
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LadyMcCartney4)
they're in a psychiatric ward. they're already getting help.
Wait what? Really? Oh, that’s such a shame, I feel so sorry for them 😢

I know someone who was also sectioned because they had a complete breakdown of their mental health
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Wait what? Really? Oh, that’s such a shame, I feel so sorry for them 😢

I know someone who was also sectioned because they had a complete breakdown of their mental health
read the OP lol.
ditemeja
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s important that you’re seeking help and I empathise massively - medication can fog your mind and it isn’t very fun.

I don’t believe that there is such a thing as an objective failure, as long as you’re growing as a person and living you’re succeeding at something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (31)
26.27%
Spring (24)
20.34%
Autumn/Fall (32)
27.12%
Winter (23)
19.49%
I love them all equally (8)
6.78%