Please tell me how to evaluate and what to add... Watch

YellowCookies
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
“Women are highly valued in Christianity today” Evaluate this claim (15 marks).

Women have traditionally been subdued in Christianity at the time of the New and Old Testaments due to the patriarchal nature, but today they have been increasingly valued, though not as well as it should be.
It could be argued that women are highly valued in Christianity today because they have been allowed to become ordained as priests and consecrated as bishops in the Church of England (COE). For example, Libby Lane became the first female bishop in the COE in January 2015. This means that women are highly valued because THE COE went against traditional Christian beliefs which condemn a woman from having any leadership role in church. However, it could be argued that women are not highly valued today because the Catholic Church (the branch of Christianity with most followers) does not accept women having leadership roles in church. They side with Christianity’s tradition of Jesus appointing male-only apostles of which there is an unbroken succession. So making a woman a deacon, bishop or priest would strike down this tradition which is simply unacceptable to Catholics.
Youcat 257
Some may argue that women are highly valued in Christianity today because Genesis 1:26-27 it says, “God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” This seems to present an egalitarian approach to gender where men and women are equal in church, marriage and society. This is further supported by Galatians 3:28 which says “nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ.” This demonstrates that issues of gender are irrelevant in Christianity since God will accept all. However, these passages only show how women are valued theoretically in Christianity. In practice things are very different:
Others argue that women are not highly valued in Christianity today because of the patriarchal nature of the time when the bible was written. Christian complementarians argue that women have different roles to men despite being equal. They argue that male priority is a requirement of scripture and this evidently seen in the bible in statements such as “a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh” (Matthew 19:5).But, this does not accurately represent reality since it was actually the woman who would leave her parents and live with a man.
angelias
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey, just checking, is this for an rs gcse? and what board are u doing cos i may be able to help!
YellowCookies
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelias)
hey, just checking, is this for an rs gcse? and what board are u doing cos i may be able to help!
Hey i am doing a level aqa rs...but please help meee..i am really struggling....suggest to me anything
YellowCookies
Rep:
?
Here is my developed version:

“Women are highly
valued in Christianity today” Evaluate this claim (15 marks).

Women have
traditionally been subdued in Christianity at the time of the New and Old
Testaments due to the patriarchal nature, but today they have been increasingly
valued, though not as well as it should be.

It could be
argued that women are highly valued in Christianity today because they have
been allowed to become ordained as priests and consecrated as bishops in the
Church of England (COE). For example, Libby Lane became the first female bishop
in the COE in January 2015. This means that women are highly valued because THE
COE went against traditional Christian beliefs (showing their worth) which
condemn a woman from having any leadership role in church. However, it could be
argued that women are not highly valued today because the Catholic Church (the
branch of Christianity with most followers) does not accept women having
leadership roles in church. They side with Christianity’s tradition of Jesus
appointing male-only apostles of which there is an unbroken succession. So, making
a woman a deacon, bishop or priest would strike down this tradition which is
simply unacceptable to Catholics. This seems to be the more convincing argument
since the Catholic Church constitutes the majority Christians today, and this
is further reinforced historically where women have been undermined by Christianity.

Others argue
that women are not highly valued in Christianity today because of the
patriarchal nature of the time when the bible was written. Christian complementarians
argue that women have different roles to men despite being equal. They argue
that male priority is a requirement of scripture and this evidently seen in the
bible in statements such as “a man will leave his father and mother and be
united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh” (Matthew 19:5). This
does not accurately represent reality since it was the woman who would leave her
parents and live with a man. This shows how women are not valued at all because
the bible does not even care to mention anything from a woman’s perspective.
Also, Daphne Hampson argues that the bible is plagued with patriarchy through
the dominant use of male metaphors for God, father-son imagery and Jesus’ apparent
failure to address the sexism of society. This, she says, demeans women and
thus Christianity is irredeemably sexist. It could be argued against the patriarchal
nature of the bible saying that it reflects the biblical time period and is not
applicable today. But this is obviously a weak argument since some Christians
today use the bible as a basis and justification for their religious beliefs today.

Some may
argue that women are highly valued in Christianity today because Genesis
1:26-27 it says, “God created man in his own image, in the image of God he
created him; male and female he created them.” This seems to present an
egalitarian approach to gender where men and women are equal in church,
marriage and society. This is further supported by Galatians 3:28 which says,
“nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ.” This demonstrates
that issues of gender are irrelevant in Christianity since God will accept all.
However, these passages only show how women are valued theoretically in
Christianity. In practice things are very different: they are not allowed leadership
positions in the church and other passages in the bible seem to contradict the above
passages and are favoured by Christians. For example, in 1 Timothy 2:8-15 it is
mentioned that a “woman should learn in quietness and full submission” and not “assume
authority over a man.” This shows how woman are not highly valued as they are highly
controlled and kept in their place. This is the strongest argument since

In conclusion,
women are not highly valued in Christianity today. The most convincing reason
being that…
angelias
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey! so i did rs gcse and got a 9 in the aqa exam so i think i can help you....

a structure that i used in my 12/15 mark questions got me high marks and its basically this:

PARAGRAPH ONE: agree with the statement, use evidence of why it is true
- one reason to agree, explain this reason, then if you can, add a quote or evidence to support it
- say things like 'one could agree with this because..' or 'this statement could ring true because...'

PARAGRAPH TWO: agree with the statement again, use evidence of why it could be true
- one reason to agree, explain this reason, then if you can, add a quote or evidence to support it
- say things like 'one could agree with this because..' or 'this statement could ring true because...'

then, use a connective like HOWEVER, HAVING SAID THAT, ON THE OTHER HAND etc

PARAGRAPH THREE: disagree with the statement, use evidence of why it is not true today
- one reason to disagree, explain this statement, use evidence
- try to link your point to previous points you've written down, this will get you extra marks! e.g if you've written about women being allowed to the bishops and priests in c of e churches, you could write about how in catholic churches, they can't hold those positions
- if you're linking, make sure you say LINKING TO MY LAST POINT

PARAGRAPH FOUR: disagree with the statement, use evidence
- another reason to disagree, explain the statement, use evidence if possible

PARAGRAPH FIVE/SIX: conclusion paragraph
- here is your chance to show your opinion on this MAKE SURE YOU SHOW YOUR JUDGEMENT HERE & THROUGHOUT AS WELL! - make sure you say things like IN CONCLUSION, THE WEIGHT OF EVIDENCE SUGGESTS, I BELIEVE THAT etc
- try and include two pieces of evidence that support your judgement, you can make the conclusion two paragraphs if you want

this structure might be confusing, especially if you've learnt a different way but for me its easy to use as you can apply any statement to it if need be. you can play around with it as well if you like, e.g adding 3 agree and 1 disagree points, then two agree conclusion points. for me its just an easy way to get marks.

you have really good points! you just need to explain them, which is really easy, its basically just putting it into other words for me.

e.g if your point is: 'firstly, women in c of e churches can become priests and/or bishops. this means that women are highly valued in christianity as positions like priests and bishops are very important in the church community, therefore women can be seen as being valued next to men, and therefore equals. a quote to support this would be.....'

you don't need to put quotes to support everything, you can if you want but its not totally necessary, as long as you have them
continuously throughout!

i'll include a 12 mark question i did that scored 11/12, but my teacher is a harsh marker so in the exam it may have been full marks, i don't know. i can also share some revision resources if you need.

your explanations are good though! i don't think you need to drastically develop them, unless thats what your teacher is telling u? please excuse me if i'm a little rusty on this, i did the exam in june this year and have spent a whole summer forgetting about it!

heres the 12 mark, i did it for islam instead of christianity, hope thats okay, i wouldve used the same structure for both religions anyway!

‘Divorce is never right’ 12

Firstly, one could agree with this statement because in the Qur’an it says ‘Marry and do not divorce, the throne of Allah shakes due to divorce’. This could mean that Muslims shouldn’t divorce as it is against the will of Allah and therefore a sin.

Secondly, one could agree with this statement because in the Hadith it says ‘Be fair and just to your children’. This could mean that Muslims should not divorce because in most families, when they divorce their child is greatly affected. This is not being fair and just to your child and is therefore going against Allah’s will.

However, someone could disagree with me because Protestants believe that divorce is ‘the lesser of two evils’ This could mean that it is better to divorce if you are going to be unhappy in the marriage and potentially hurt yourself, which Protestants believe is a worse evil, therefore you should divorce as it is slightly better.

Secondly, most Christians believe that divorce should only happen because of marital unfaithfulness. This is because in the Bible it says ‘Whoever divorces, except for marital unfaithfulness… commits adultery against her’. This could mean that if someone within a marriage cheats on the other person, divorce is then okay for that person as they have committed adultery against that person.

In conclusion, the weight of evidence suggests that this statement is wrong and divorce is sometimes right. Linking back to my second point about the child being unhappy when parents divorce, the situation could potentially be turned around. Both Islam and Christianity teach to love children (‘See that you do not despise of these little ones’ for Christianity and ‘Be fair and just to your children’ for Islam’). If this child in question was potentially being abused within that marriage, whether physically, mentally or sexually, it would be better to divorce for the sake of the child, therefore divorce would then be right.

Finally, in Islam, divorce is accepted as a last resort in some situations. Linking to my last point, in this situation a divorce could be had. What must happen before the divorce is a long period of time for self reflection and to check for a pregnancy (3 months). Then the male has to pay the dowry back. The fact that this is a ritual could mean that divorce is okay in some situations, as there is a prescribed ritual for it, therefore you can do it when it is totally necessary.
YellowCookies
Rep:
?

a structure that i used in my 12/15 mark questions got me high marks and its basically this:

PARAGRAPH TWO: agree with the statement again, use evidence of why it could be true

PARAGRAPH THREE: disagree with the statement, use evidence of why it is not true today
- try to link your point to previous points you've written down, this will get you extra marks! e.g if you've written about women being allowed to the bishops and priests in c of e churches, you could write about how in catholic churches, they can't hold those positions

- here is your chance to show your opinion on this MAKE SURE YOU SHOW YOUR JUDGEMENT HERE & THROUGHOUT AS WELL! - make sure you say things like IN CONCLUSION, THE WEIGHT OF EVIDENCE SUGGESTS, I BELIEVE THAT etc
- try and include two pieces of evidence that support your judgement, you can make the conclusion two paragraphs if you want

this structure might be confusing, especially if you've learnt a different way but for me its easy to use as you can apply any statement to it if need be. you can play around with it as well if you like, e.g adding 3 agree and 1 disagree points, then two agree conclusion points. for me its just an easy way to get marks.

you have really good points! you just need to explain them, which is really easy, its basically just putting it into other words for me.

e.g if your point is: 'firstly, women in c of e churches can become priests and/or bishops. this means that women are highly valued in christianity as positions like priests and bishops are very important in the church community, therefore women can be seen as being valued next to men, and therefore equals. a quote to support this would be.....'

you don't need to put quotes to support everything, you can if you want but its not totally necessary, as long as you have them
continuously throughout!

i'll include a 12 mark question i did that scored 11/12, but my teacher is a harsh marker so in the exam it may have been full marks, i don't know. i can also share some revision resources if you need.

your explanations are good though! i don't think you need to drastically develop them, unless thats what your teacher is telling u? please excuse me if i'm a little rusty on this, i did the exam in june this year and have spent a whole summer forgetting about it!

heres the 12 mark, i did it for islam instead of christianity, hope thats okay, i wouldve used the same structure for both religions anyway!

Firstly, one could agree with this statement because in the Qur’an it says ‘Marry and do not divorce, the throne of Allah shakes due to divorce’. This could mean that Muslims shouldn’t divorce as it is against the will of Allah and therefore a sin.

Secondly, one could agree with this statement because in the Hadith it says ‘Be fair and just to your children’. This could mean that Muslims should not divorce because in most families, when they divorce their child is greatly affected. This is not being fair and just to your child and is therefore going against Allah’s will.

However, someone could disagree with me because Protestants believe that divorce is ‘the lesser of two evils’ This could mean that it is better to divorce if you are going to be unhappy in the marriage and potentially hurt yourself, which Protestants believe is a worse evil, therefore you should divorce as it is slightly better.

Secondly, most Christians believe that divorce should only happen because of marital unfaithfulness. This is because in the Bible it says ‘Whoever divorces, except for marital unfaithfulness… commits adultery against her’. This could mean that if someone within a marriage cheats on the other person, divorce is then okay for that person as they have committed adultery against that person.

In conclusion, the weight of evidence suggests that this statement is wrong and divorce is sometimes right. Linking back to my second point about the child being unhappy when parents divorce, the situation could potentially be turned around. Both Islam and Christianity teach to love children (‘See that you do not despise of these little ones’ for Christianity and ‘Be fair and just to your children’ for Islam’). If this child in question was potentially being abused within that marriage, whether physically, mentally or sexually, it would be better to divorce for the sake of the child, therefore divorce would then be right.

Finally, in Islam, divorce is accepted as a last resort in some situations. Linking to my last point, in this situation a divorce could be had. What must happen before the divorce is a long period of time for self reflection and to check for a pregnancy (3 months). Then the male has to pay the dowry back. The fact that this is a ritual could mean that divorce is okay in some situations, as there is a prescribed ritual for it, therefore you can do it when it is totally necessary.
Thank you so much. Do you have more resources??? Thank youuu...
angelias
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sure! just tell me what kind of stuff you need!
YellowCookies
Rep:
?
sure! just tell me what kind of stuff you need!
Anything please...I will PM you my email...thank you sooo muchhhh
mayyahussain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

continuously throughout!

did you do budhism is so plz help me?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)