How will voter fraud be prevented? Watch

TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
An old thread was brought up stating how postal votes are basic fraud because groups were going round paying people for their votes.

I've heard of students voting multiple times by going round and registering in different areas.

Lastly is how are the votes counted and who is supervising them?
cadaanshaydaan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m assuming you’ve heard these lies about students committing voter fraud from tabloids like The Sun and The DM. The likeliness of it happening is actually pretty low if the 2017 GE is anything to go by since only one person was convicted of double voting (tho idk how many were investigated etc).

The election is taking place during term time which makes it harder for people to go around to multiple constituencies to cast a vote. In fact some people are even suggesting the opposite, that the student vote is being suppressed since most are registered *only* at their home constituency and won’t be able to go back to vote in time.

Voting fraud is regulated by the Electoral Commission and if you do actually know someone whose doing any of the above you should get in contact with them.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
An old thread was brought up stating how postal votes are basic fraud because groups were going round paying people for their votes.

I've heard of students voting multiple times by going round and registering in different areas.

Voter fraud is incredibly rare in GB.

Where it has happened in modern times it occurs either:-

1 Where postal or proxy votes have been cast on behalf of nursing home patients with dementia

2 Where postal votes have been “harvested” by “community leaders” within some ethnic communities, particularly in the case of female voters unlikely to cast their own ballot.

After previous cases in the last 20 years returning officers are now very alive to the risks.

There is no evidence of significant double voting by people on two electoral rolls and voting bribery has been extinct since 1914.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just do away with voting, lads
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is extremely rare for them to be used for votal fraud.
Local, not national elections, and its perfectly legal.
By hand/computer and election officers.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't like postal votes, except for those who are unable to physically leave their home. Even then I'm uneasy over their carer being able to intercept.

Usually postal votes are by lazy people who cba to walk 10 minutes to their polling station, but the more prevalent it is, the easier it is for malicious people to hide among them, controlling/manipulating people who live with them.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
I don't like postal votes, except for those who are unable to physically leave their home. Even then I'm uneasy over their carer being able to intercept.

Usually postal votes are by lazy people who cba to walk 10 minutes to their polling station, but the more prevalent it is, the easier it is for malicious people to hide among them, controlling/manipulating people who live with them.
On the contrary postal votes are by people who have busier, more complicated lives than you. People who have meetings to attend; call-outs to undertake; whose shift patterns vary from month to month. People who have to care for elderly relatives and children who can’t be sure of getting substitutes at the drop of a hat.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
On the contrary postal votes are by people who have busier, more complicated lives than you. People who have meetings to attend; call-outs to undertake; whose shift patterns vary from month to month. People who have to care for elderly relatives and children who can’t be sure of getting substitutes at the drop of a hat.
I presume you are talking about meetings that their employer could do over the internet, call outs that could be prioritised differently with a month's notice and similarly with shift patterns. A law ensuring employers allow time to vote makes much more sense than introducing am obvious way for interception to occur.

I'm not sure why you think a month is at the drop of a hat.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I presume you are talking about meetings that their employer could do over the internet, call outs that could be prioritised differently with a month's notice and similarly with shift patterns. A law ensuring employers allow time to vote makes much more sense than introducing am obvious way for interception to occur.

It is very simple. People will neither reorganise society or their lives around elections. If it is not convenient, they will not vote.

There was an election on Monday. The electorate was 650 professional politicians. Yet fully 100 of them had more important things to do than voting for Speaker ( mostly organising their own campaigns).

People interested in politics are very much a minority.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
It is extremely rare for them to be used for votal fraud.

Local, not national elections, and its perfectly legal.

By hand/computer and election officers.
OMG it's worse than I thought.
It looks like rigging votes isn't as hard as some other 3rd world countries.
Where are the impartial 3rd party inspectors?
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The most effective deterrent against in-person voter fraud are the large risks vastly outweighing the very minor potential gains.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OMG it's worse than I thought.
It looks like rigging votes isn't as hard as some other 3rd world countries.
What?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The papers that are against young people need to make their mind up, i thought we were all lazy and couldn't be bothered voting? Now we are suddenly getting trains to multiple areas to dupe vote :rofl:
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have a couple of holidays booked in 2020. No elections currently planned, hope there arent any.

Do you support proxy voting?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You have until Nov 25th to sign up as an independent electoral observer.

Or are you not impartial?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (4)
30.77%
Spring (1)
7.69%
Autumn/Fall (4)
30.77%
Winter (4)
30.77%
I love them all equally (0)
0%