Cannula snapping in hand Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Lol basically are there any student nurses or medics on here that may know about this?
Basically, I had a cannula for IV antibiotics in my hand back in July, when I was in Cyprus and being treated with pneumonia.
I had the cannula in my hand from the Saturday, until late Tuesday. It started becoming red and a blister started forming. They removed it, and put a new one in. I assume it snapped and the antibiotics weren't going through my veins. Also, it was definitely kept in for way too long.
Since then, the area is still tender when the area is touched and I have small random bruises which keep forming. It makes me think something may be in there, but I was told if it was stuck, it would've just dissolved.
I feel like it's a stupid issue to go to my doctors about, when there's a lot of other people with serious health issues. I have venepuncture training tomorrow, so I was tempted to ask.
If anyone knows, or has experienced this I'd be grateful to know
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is not a stupid issue, and you are not wasting anyone's time by going to your GP to ask.

Cannulas are usually supposed to be in for 72-96 hours maximum, but sometimes due to clinical pressures / mistakes they stay in for longer.

The swelling may be because it was "leaking" - i.e. the fluid seeping to the surrounding tissues. You could then have a mild reaction to it. However I can't diagnose over the internet because I couldn't see your hand, so go to your GP!

*Note, cannulas do not "snap" - when it's inserted there's a metal needle, which is removed when the cannula is in the right place (i.e. in your vein). All that remains afterwards is a plastic tubing that's in your vein (and hopefully it wouldn't snap!).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Cannulas are OK to stay for 3 days but it sounds like your cannula site got infected. It is very unlikely that it would have snapped and that there is still a part of it left inside (if there is, it wouldn't get dissolved though - your body would just form scar tissue around it). It sounds like you probably have a bit of inflammation going on in that vein were the cannula was - you can get that sometime after infection or if there has been a small clot in the vein. If you are worried, I would see your GP though and they can give a more definitive answer.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
This is not a stupid issue, and you are not wasting anyone's time by going to your GP to ask.

Cannulas are usually supposed to be in for 72-96 hours maximum, but sometimes due to clinical pressures / mistakes they stay in for longer.

The swelling may be because it was "leaking" - i.e. the fluid seeping to the surrounding tissues. You could then have a mild reaction to it. However I can't diagnose over the internet because I couldn't see your hand, so go to your GP!

*Note, cannulas do not "snap" - when it's inserted there's a metal needle, which is removed when the cannula is in the right place (i.e. in your vein). All that remains afterwards is a plastic tubing that's in your vein (and hopefully it wouldn't snap!).
Thank you for your reply! That's reassuring to know, I was told that sometimes they can break by my friend who's a student nurse, so I've been worried for months thinking something may be in there haha. .
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Also, it was definitely kept in for way too long.
Sounds like it. Its well established there is absolutely no reason to replace cannulas after x time period, but if it was going red you should definitely get it out as soon as!

See a GP about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (187)
19.12%
Labour (418)
42.74%
Liberal Democrats (189)
19.33%
Green Party (53)
5.42%
Brexit Party (26)
2.66%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (12)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.02%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)