Do you ever feel sorry for how far your teacher or lecturer has to travel each day? Watch

Popular
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm from the town of Scunthorpe and when I was at secondary school, in one year, for French I had a languages teacher who used to drive in from Hull each morning. My form tutor used to drive in from Grimsby each morning.

When I was at infants school, we had a supply or 'substitute' teacher at one point who was from Lincoln and so therefore drove all the way from Lincoln each morning.

I've always thought that if they were happy to do that, good for them, but I'm sure there may be some on here who think that would be bad in someway.
Skp_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no,
*focus on your studies not where lecturers come from
Last edited by Skp_; 1 week ago
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some teachers I had I think were grateful not to live near the school, as they would not bump into pupils outside school, so giving them some kind of peace or reducing stress. I think some others could not afford to live nearby even if they wanted to.

House prices are an issue for many teachers just as in other processions.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, they are getting paid to be there
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Some teachers I had I think were grateful not to live near the school, as they would not bump into pupils outside school, so giving them some kind of peace or reducing stress.
Correct. I did my PGDE last year and all of my placement schools were very close to where I live. Thought it was great at first as I didn't need to travel very far. Then I started seeing the kids EVERYWHERE I went. And sometimes I just wanna do my own **** without being bothered.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Popular)
I'm from the town of Scunthorpe and when I was at secondary school, in one year, for French I had a languages teacher who used to drive in from Hull each morning. My form tutor used to drive in from Grimsby each morning.

When I was at infants school, we had a supply or 'substitute' teacher at one point who was from Lincoln and so therefore drove all the way from Lincoln each morning.

I've always thought that if they were happy to do that, good for them, but I'm sure there may be some on here who think that would be bad in someway.
That's like a 30-40 minute drive, why would you feel sorry for them? I know quite a few people who commute for 1,5 hours each way or more every day!
Popular
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
That's like a 30-40 minute drive, why would you feel sorry for them? I know quite a few people who commute for 1,5 hours each way or more every day!
Driving down a long, boring stretch of motorway each day works wonders for one's mental health, doesn't it?

Seriously though, I'd feel sorry for them for the fact that a significant amount of their (possibly abysmal) wages was going towards fuel and other costs of their car before they've even got to school.
Skp_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
they have an option to leave ! no one is forcing them to do job in another town/city.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nah. Don’t care nor is it my problem to care about 😂
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live like a forty minute walk from school and I can’t think of a teacher who would have to travel for longer than that, so not really
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I don't. They don't have to work that far away from their home.
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live in a town and all my teachers live in Lincoln or Newark. I don't feel that sorry for them considering they chose to work at my school. Plenty of them have worked at schools closer to their own homes before but decided to leave
bennyj901
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Shouldnt you just be asking if we feel sorry for commuters? Why teachers specifically? Hey I will take some sympathy for getting a one hour train ride to university too
riaaree
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

same! my history teacher has been teaching at my school for over 30 years, he taught my mum as well! he travels down from London, its roughly an hour or so a day. he replies to emails at 4 am sometimes. the commitment!
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, but I felt bad at college for one of my tutors who used to stay up marking coursework until two in the morning when she had to get up really early (I assume around 6:30 if she had to be in college for 9).
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Driving down a long, boring stretch of motorway each day works wonders for one's mental health, doesn't it?

Seriously though, I'd feel sorry for them for the fact that a significant amount of their (possibly abysmal) wages was going towards fuel and other costs of their car before they've even got to school.
Seriously? What about people who drive lorries up and down the country all day?

No one is forcing them to live so far away from their work, and many people have much longer commutes and more antisocial working hours. It's a choice an if it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't do it. And teachers' wages are not that bad compared to a large proportion of the population...
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i feel sorry for how far i have to travel each day
Popular
Rep:
?
(Original post by bennyj901)
Shouldnt you just be asking if we feel sorry for commuters? Why teachers specifically? Hey I will take some sympathy for getting a one hour train ride to university too
That's nothing, I used to take an hour and 20 minutes bus journey to Hull when I did my two year college course at Hull College.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (16)
26.23%
Spring (14)
22.95%
Autumn/Fall (15)
24.59%
Winter (9)
14.75%
I love them all equally (7)
11.48%