starmilk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm a 3rd year psychology student and I'm having a massive dilemma as I'm unsure if I want to do a masters or spend a few years building experience?

I know that eventually, I would like to apply for the dclinpsy, its just a matter of when.

I've looked at masters courses and I've seen a few that I'm really interested in that also include clinical experience but i've seen some people say that it would be a waste of time and that I should be building up experience full-time instead. I was thinking that a masters would help me and as it also includes placements (and hopefully the opportunity to make one of those placements a bit more long term as the DClinpsy courses I've seen so far ask for at least a year of full time experience).

I have 1 years voluntary experience in a counselling setting, previous experience handling children and hopefully a part-time job as a support worker in the summer.

I wanted to do a masters, build up some experience with that, strengthen my application and then apply for a job as an assistant psychologist or something similar and then after a while, apply for the dclinpsy.

To be honest, I'm just not sure if this is the correct way to be looking at it.

I would really appreciate the help! x
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would say experience over masters. Masters are good if you need to make up for a low undergrad degree or if it's a conversion. But they are pretty much money takers and don't give you much that advantage for DCLinPsyc
Last edited by Noodlzzz; 3 months ago
Esekanayo_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was in the same boat this year, I eventually chose to apply for a masters because of the following reasons:

- You build up on your research skills beyond undergrad. This is really good if you do not want to work as a research assistant, or want another opportunity to do a study that potentially gets published.
- Clinical placements sometimes are offered in NHS. Gives you links to get an AP job in NHS afterwards
- I like studying something in depth. These MSc can focus on a specific subspecialty you perhaps did not learn much about during undergrad
- You don't study 5 days a week even if you do it full time. So you can get a part-time job whilst also getting a masters. You are ticking off a lot of boxes in terms of what can give your application an advantage, in a short space of time.
- I can still get a loan for it, and live at home whilst doing the masters if I stay in my home city. That way it is financially feasible.

However lest I forget the cons:

- One extra year worth of debt, with interest. Is it worth it? My peers will be earning over 21k and can start paying off their debt immediately but I won't be able to.
- Studying is demanding, do I still have the stamina to do it? Can I do a masters at home?
- I have to be patient for another year before I can finally get out into the real world and have a proper job

It's so subjective. Another person could read that and conclude that they don't think a masters is worth it.

What matters to you? No one can tell you that.
Elastichedgehog
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which course did you end up applying for and where out of interest? Also the threshold for repayments was increased to 25k relatively recently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (262)
67.01%
No (129)
32.99%

Watched Threads