Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
First year at uni
Had terrible summer, and now the most depressed/anxious ive ever been (diagnosed since i was 13)
Last night went to a and e for su*cide attempt

The university and the nhs mental health services are amazing and really supportive, but all of them have said they think i should go home, to keep me safe, and defer (thing is, ive already taken a gap year)
My social anxiety is waywayway to strong to get a job other than cleaning right now, all the career paths i could stand require my chosen degree
Im actually enjoying my course and feel like its the only thing keeping me going, but the uni atmosphere and the people are driving me to breaking point
Pretty sure my flatmates hate me and i just get in their way, and Ive made no friends, i cant get past small talk even when i really try
When i get the slightest bit anxious about meeting people it makes me physically sick for the rest of the day, so societies are a no.

I was really improving the last few years, and wanted to beat my social anxiety at uni, but i feel worse than ever

Should i even keep trying? I feel like I have no options. All i want in life is a lesbian wife and a job i dont despise, but this is all just too much.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you have goals, so yes, go with them, if you can. [I personally was never diagnosed whilst at college, just lived in my dreamworld - ignored my social anxiety - I look back and see how it could have been different if I'd known] Actually, for you that's probably the best thing - seems that knowing that you are slightly different whilst at college can make you much likelier to eventually succeed and finish the course.

The 'go home' alternative is also entirely reasonable, as going home, re-inscribing (some colleges have a January intake) perhaps simply finishing your degree at your physically most nearest uni to your home-base, as all students in mainland Europe do, rather than somewhere 3 - 4 hours away from home - as most Brits seem to - is also entirely reasonable. There is a Glyndwr University in Wrexham - a Solent Uni in So'ton - people study there, you'd probably be their best student

don't worry so much about career/degree as there are quite a few jobs & countries that simply require "any degree" from "any university"
and once you have a degree from anywhere about anything, you can 'trade-up' if you need to, and are ready to, by taking a post-grad at a higher tier of college. You have choices , good luck. and keep getting advices from professionals rather than idiots like me, who mean well.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
First year at uni
Had terrible summer, and now the most depressed/anxious ive ever been (diagnosed since i was 13)
Last night went to a and e for su*cide attempt

The university and the nhs mental health services are amazing and really supportive, but all of them have said they think i should go home, to keep me safe, and defer (thing is, ive already taken a gap year)
My social anxiety is waywayway to strong to get a job other than cleaning right now, all the career paths i could stand require my chosen degree
Im actually enjoying my course and feel like its the only thing keeping me going, but the uni atmosphere and the people are driving me to breaking point
Pretty sure my flatmates hate me and i just get in their way, and Ive made no friends, i cant get past small talk even when i really try
When i get the slightest bit anxious about meeting people it makes me physically sick for the rest of the day, so societies are a no.

I was really improving the last few years, and wanted to beat my social anxiety at uni, but i feel worse than ever

Should i even keep trying? I feel like I have no options. All i want in life is a lesbian wife and a job i dont despise, but this is all just too much.
I think you should take a year out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.7%
Labour (161)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.45%
Green Party (30)
7.48%
Brexit Party (12)
2.99%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.25%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)