XHannahR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is it normal to get “lower” grades at the start of year 12/start of AS year? Should I be concerned, and does anyone know what I can do to help pull my grades back up; or will they go up with time as I get used to the new system and they way things work? Any help is much appreciated.
dj_ad_1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tbh i was in the same position as you last year. I was predicted BDE at the start of year 12 but now a year later im predicted BBC so like if you put in the effort and time they will go up slowly but its perfectly normal to get low grades at the start of year 12. Depending on your subjects id say do an 1 of each subject everyday like in skl if u learnt a topic come home and do exam practice on it. Then you will get used to the kind of questions that come up in ur exams.
XHannahR
Rep:
?
(Original post by dj_ad_1)
Tbh i was in the same position as you last year. I was predicted BDE at the start of year 12 but now a year later im predicted BBC so like if you put in the effort and time they will go up slowly but its perfectly normal to get low grades at the start of year 12. Depending on your subjects id say do an 1 of each subject everyday like in skl if u learnt a topic come home and do exam practice on it. Then you will get used to the kind of questions that come up in ur exams.
Thank you for this advice! After college I tend to come home and make notes, but alongside that I’m going to start doing at least one exam question, because you’re right, it’ll help me get used to the questions I’m most concerned about physics, but hopefully exam technique and better understanding will help..
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes it’s very usual and common don’t worry, I omit received a C in my first chemistry test. You’ve just started a new course, a new style of learning, perhaps a new environment as a levels are so different. Just focus on the questions you answered wrongly and how you can improve, but it will come with time and practice don’t worry.
sammy0205
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi! overall I'd say yes, they do pull themselves up. if you do exam practice here and there you'll see your grades go up hopefully. i got a C on my first ever chemistry test and now I'm predicted A*. the step up from GGSE is pretty intense and it's normal to drop a bit at first.
that being said, i saw you mention physics somewhere in this thread. i got a C in my first physics test and now im floating around a D. and that's with me doing more for physics than my other subjects. don't be disheartened if physics takes a while to click with you. it's been over a year and there's still mechanics stuff from year 12 i can't do, let alone further mechanics in year 13. but everyone else in my class gets it now and they're getting A/A*s so im sure you'll be fine
XHannahR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Yes it’s very usual and common don’t worry, I omit received a C in my first chemistry test. You’ve just started a new course, a new style of learning, perhaps a new environment as a levels are so different. Just focus on the questions you answered wrongly and how you can improve, but it will come with time and practice don’t worry.
Thank you, I will go over papers and focus on what I got wrong..hopefully it will go up as you suggest!
XHannahR
Rep:
?
(Original post by sammy0205)
hi! overall I'd say yes, they do pull themselves up. if you do exam practice here and there you'll see your grades go up hopefully. i got a C on my first ever chemistry test and now I'm predicted A*. the step up from GGSE is pretty intense and it's normal to drop a bit at first.
that being said, i saw you mention physics somewhere in this thread. i got a C in my first physics test and now im floating around a D. and that's with me doing more for physics than my other subjects. don't be disheartened if physics takes a while to click with you. it's been over a year and there's still mechanics stuff from year 12 i can't do, let alone further mechanics in year 13. but everyone else in my class gets it now and they're getting A/A*s so im sure you'll be fine
I spoke to my teacher afterwards and she said she’s still hopefully that I will do well in the end and she doesn’t want me to be disheartened either. She told me that there’s people in the past who started off like me, but in the end did just fine. I just felt I’d be “reassured” if I was told that by another student ahh. So from what you’ve said, I’m going to give Physics time and hopefully things will look up. I wish you all the best with your physics this year, many thanks!
dj_ad_1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by XHannahR)
Thank you for this advice! After college I tend to come home and make notes, but alongside that I’m going to start doing at least one exam question, because you’re right, it’ll help me get used to the questions I’m most concerned about physics, but hopefully exam technique and better understanding will help..
Yeah its fine man u have two years to improve in 3 subjects im sure thats more than enough time to improve in all of them if u do exam questions every day. Id also recommend when its half term and stuff to like catchup on the topics u r struggling in.
XHannahR
Rep:
?
(Original post by dj_ad_1)
Yeah its fine man u have two years to improve in 3 subjects im sure thats more than enough time to improve in all of them if u do exam questions every day. Id also recommend when its half term and stuff to like catchup on the topics u r struggling in.
Haha the thing is I’m doing 4😭 but after every lesson I make notes on what we were taught and every now and then I’ll do exam questions..I probably need to do more exam qu’s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)