Leeds Medical School Watch

cheaptrick
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is leeds a good place to study medicine and why?

thanks
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's subjective.

For some it doesn't come close to anywhere like Oxbridge but to others it's good.

Are you thinking of doing med at leeds uni?
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Leeds, the best thing about it is anatomy with cadavers as opposed to studying of prosections in Birmingham.

Also clinical practice starts early, your let out on wards from 2nd year so you can get alot more experience.
username196656
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aSian_cUtY)
Leeds, the best thing about it is anatomy with cadavers as opposed to studying of prosections in Birmingham.

Also clinical practice starts early, your let out on wards from 2nd year so you can get alot more experience.
whats the PBL like there? thanks
fabo89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Someone has to say it.....There are no 'bad' medical schools it all depends upon whether you will prefer a PBL or lecture based course.

Looks as though PBL is beginning to win over a traditional medical schools though.Harvard recently changed from lecture to PBL.Plus a number of UK med schools have changed to PBL.
Kinkerz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinza)
whats the PBL like there? thanks
Leeds has an integrated, systems based course... There is little or no PBL involved in the course.
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep Kinkerz is right, in the first 2 years its all lectures based. Although i have heard 3rd year is very PBL based espescially first term.
strawberrysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Didn't a fifth year medical student comit suicide in Leeds?

I had an interview there.

It was scary.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by strawberrysunshine)
Didn't a fifth year medical student comit suicide in Leeds?

I had an interview there.

It was scary.
Yeah... Think he failed his finals and got too overwhelmed.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...icleid=2957357

Pretty sad really.
strawberrysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)
Yeah... Think he failed his finals and got too overwhelmed.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...icleid=2957357

Pretty sad really.
Thats off putting really.

Although it probably shouldn't be.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know what you mean... But the city is awesome, there are two ~1000 bed hospitals to do clinicals in and the course looks great.
Plus the accommodation is all good and cheap compared to the south!

Leeds rules!
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)
I know what you mean... But the city is awesome, there are two ~1000 bed hospitals to do clinicals in and the course looks great.
Plus the accommodation is all good and cheap compared to the south!

Leeds rules!
What's the city itself and surrounding location like? The only thing holding me back from properly considering Leeds is doubts about what the actual place is like, as that is quite important to me.
ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
What's the city itself and surrounding location like? The only thing holding me back from properly considering Leeds is doubts about what the actual place is like, as that is quite important to me.
it should be important to everybody, but sadly it isn't.

the whole reason why I rejected manchester was because the city was so horrific.

Leeds looked ok, but it's all personal. I think Liverpool is a nice city, yet tons hate it. Meh
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Penguin Mafia:
You didn't like Manchester?! The city center of Manchester is a very cool place! One of the coolest in my opinion...

Scaryhair:
Leeds is a quality place. Trust me, I live pretty damn close by and go there quite alot. A large proportion of the population is students. I'm not really sure what you're wanting to know... You asked what it's like, I think it's brilliant.
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm considering Leeds as my second choice, it's a friendly city and excellent transport links to Sheffield.
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Leeds is wicked, its not too big and its not too small either. There is great nightlife and lots of things to do. The med school is 10 minutes walk from city centre or if your lazy you can get a free shuttle bus that goes direct to town centre!! It's in a wicked location and theres halls around which are only 5 mins walk away which makes it very convenient.
static-x
Report 10 years ago
i want to apply to leeds too.
but i dont know wats the requirments for international student
cchilstonev1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
I can help you here, Leeds is brilliant! I love it.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey cchilstonev1 I notice you're from good old West Yorkshire... Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you from?
davidjones90
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All medical schools in the UK are "good". Because all meet the rigorous standard of the GMC.

It depends what you want from the course. Different courses suit different people Different areas suit different people etc

I went up to leeds few months ago, loads of clubs and it's a sociable place, though London beats everything hands down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.34%
No - but I will (9)
4.27%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.76%

Watched Threads