Being "set up" by friends? Watch

FizzBitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Bit trivial but I'm just interested to hear feedback on this...
My friend has just told me over msn that her grandma thinks me and this lad she knows would make a good couple, and now my friend wants to set me up with him :rolleyes: :rofl:
I'm really not interested but it got me thinking, would you let your friends set you up (as in introduce you to eachother with you both knowing your friends wanted you to get together/arrange for you to go on a date together) with somebody you didn't know?
Have you ever set up any of your friends, and did it work out?
Any interesting blind date/set up stories?

The idea of it seems really cringey to me...
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be perfectly honest, in the position in which I currently am I'd let anyone set me up
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
To be perfectly honest, in the position in which I currently am I'd let anyone set me up
:ditto:
SuicidalLemming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Same
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't mind being introduced and semi-obviously left to get to know someone at a party or something. But blind date... no thanks.

Unless they were seriously hot!
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nuttygirl)
:ditto:
:lolz: wanna set each other up?
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
I've been single for about 11 months so I'm getting a bit lonely, but the idea of someone saying "hey, you and (name) would make a good couple...I'm going to give him your number" or something along those lines is like argh no way!
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hehe.

Meh...i wouldnt. I dunno I am quite a private person so a third party in the relationship from the get go is a bit eurgh. Im rubbish at setting people up, ill get someone interested in someone and then ***** about them.

I'm smooth.
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saffie)
I wouldn't mind being introduced and semi-obviously left to get to know someone at a party or something. But blind date... no thanks.

Unless they were seriously hot!
This is better but I'd still find it a little cringey if there was any obviousness about it
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:lolz: wanna set each other up?
Ok what type of things do u like? :p:
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fizz*****)
I've been single for about 11 months so I'm getting a bit lonely, but the idea of someone saying "hey, you and (name) would make a good couple...I'm going to give him your number" or something along those lines is like argh no way!
Well I've been single for just over 16 years, as long as I've been alive...
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nuttygirl)
Ok what type of things do u like? :p:

Films, Music, Writing lol, look on my profile

you?
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had it happened before a couple of times, never worked out
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm introducing each other is fun, and then if you get along well, then great!

I'm not keen on the whole "here's his number. i said you would text him. off you go!" though.. thats just a bit, well, odd. :p:
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Films, Music, Writing lol, look on my profile

you?
*looks*

Rik Mayall lol, comedy, music, tv, films, normal stuff
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by becky.fm)
I'm not keen on the whole "here's his number. i said you would text him. off you go!" though.. thats just a bit, well, odd. :p:
Haha this reminds me actually, a couple of years back there was this girl called Sarah who really didn't like me. I got a text off an unknown number one day saying "Hey I'm Rob, Sarah gave me your number because we are both single and she says you're really nice". After that he kept ringing and texting me, turned out he was the really clingy/obsessive type - I think he used to have a thing for her, so she passed him on to me to piss me off! :rolleyes:
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to, go for it!

I've had 2 people try to set me up before.

The one I can remember was my friend trying to set me up with her boyfriend's best mate. She wouldn't tell me his name or anything! So I told her she couldn't give me his number. She said we'd go on a double "date", but I knew she'd go off with her boyfriend leaving me there! So I said no

I must be annoying though - I complained day in, day out about being single... then they tried to set me up and I said "No. I won't let you!" :p:
To be fair though... I fall for friends... I wouldn't go out with someone I didn't know (not without getting to know them a bit more first :p:)

Go for it if you want, but don't let your friends force you into doing something you don't want to do! :p:

And your friends grandma's trying to set you up?! Awesome lol!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fizz*****)
Bit trivial but I'm just interested to hear feedback on this...
My friend has just told me over msn that her grandma thinks me and this lad she knows would make a good couple, and now my friend wants to set me up with him :rolleyes: :rofl:
I'm really not interested but it got me thinking, would you let your friends set you up (as in introduce you to eachother with you both knowing your friends wanted you to get together/arrange for you to go on a date together) with somebody you didn't know?
Have you ever set up any of your friends, and did it work out?
Any interesting blind date/set up stories?

The idea of it seems really cringey to me...
Yep. Friend of mine set me up with her friend. She thought we'd get along. We did.

We went out for about 6 months.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did. My last girlfriend: we lasted over a year, but weren't that great for each other in actuality.
mango17
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
My friend did it once. It's weird when you know the intentions from the offset but we were attracted to eachother so things moved very quickly then things got complicated and we both got hurt. I did really like the boy i think the problem was cause we were set up we didn't get to know eachother before we got into deep so there ended up a bit of a personality clash and a complete clash over the rights and wrongs over the situation.

Hasn't put me off i'd just advise getting to know them before even if the intention is to date
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (459)
38.06%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.35%

Watched Threads