How can I work in a tutorial group with people I have nothing in common with? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm getting on well with most things at uni so far. I am fairly business-like with tutorials and lectures and also live off-campus so I haven't made friends yet (hopefully soon, I really want some) but I've got along with and like most people that I've encountered so far.

However, in my French speaking class which meets once per week, I feel very uncomfortable. There are a group of girls in one part of the classroom and then the guys are your typical "lads". Their overall demeanour and banter makes me feel uncomfortable and there is a great deal of tension between me and them due to a group work task several weeks ago which flopped and general personality differences.

They are Extrovert, football loving straight lads as opposed to me, an introvert, dance loving gay guy. Absolutely 0 common ground there. One of them also made some bigoted comments about Catholicism (which is my parent's religion) today that got on my nerve despite the fact that I'm not even religious.

I am a very introverted and quiet guy which may contribute to this issue, but last year, I had a great, fun chemistry with the French class I was in at high school. I came out of my shell for the first time so I can clearly shine with the right people. I don't know if I am necessarily the problem since I get on with pretty much everyone else.

The reason that I brought this up is because I was emailed by the language assistant that takes this class (I really appreciate her for reaching out) and she said that she was concerned that I was having trouble working in a group with these folks and was worried about future groupwork tasks.

I appreciate that we sometimes have to work with people that we don't really get on with, but I've not been in this sort of situation for a while. I've not felt like this much of an outsider nor have I felt this uncomfortable in a class in around 5 years.

How can I resolve this?
ساره
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can literally go join the girls group.Just ask them
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you should discuss your concerns with your tutor so she knows what’s worrying you right from the start.
They can give you help and advice on how to manage it.
Throughout your life you will have to work with people you don’t like and struggle to get on with so you need some strategies to do this.
Ultimately, you’re there to work so just grit your teeth and let your skill do the talking in your group tasks
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I appreciate that we sometimes have to work with people that we don't really get on with, but I've not been in this sort of situation for a while. I've not felt like this much of an outsider nor have I felt this uncomfortable in a class in around 5 years.
Having to work with a group of people that are different from you will be a fundamental part of just about any job you do when you leave university, apart from being a professional hermit, so learing how to get on with people and get the work done is actually a key transferable skill. Some students dont enjoy the process, but its definitly on the course for a reason.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
UPDATE - meeting the tutor tomorrow to discuss the issues faced in class. Fingers crossed I can find a solution.

To make it clear to those that replied, I definitely know that you have to work with different types of people, and I have done so in the past, it's just these guys that I'm having major issues with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (98)
70.5%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.79%

Watched Threads