Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I just wanted to see if any current students attending Durham University or someone with some information on it could shed some light on classism at Durham. After looking at a few videos of Durham students, I’ve noticed one of the main problems they’ve addressed is classism such as how there is a clear divide between those who went public schools and those who went private schools. I’ve also been told of racism towards people of colour as the school is predominantly white. What’s your opinion on this? And to end it off, is the drinking culture pressured onto people?
username4221054
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would also like to read some answers as I may reject Durham because of these issues.
ellewoodswannabe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently at Durham at a predominantly white college as a BME. I must say you do encounter those that ask ‘what school did you go to’ after asking your name in hopes of finding those that have gone to renowned schools as the big E. However this is this only instance of ‘classism’ I’ve encountered. There may be those who have been raised in privileged lives but, like any subgroup of society, there are lovely people and there are intolerable ones. I don’t waste my time with the latter. Do consider Durham as it is truly a beautiful university. Its career prospects, academic excellence and prestige were the compelling factors for me. Not to mention the gorgeous city itself and the collegiate aspect — you really do fall in love with the college you get sorted in.

In reality, there are instances that may be considered ‘classist’ just as there are in other universities. I won’t lie to you, 99% of the people I’ve encountered are southerners from privileged backgrounds, but it’s horrible to automatically assume that, because of this, they’re nasty people. Really, no one really gives a crap about your background after freshers week. Don’t let these rumours deter you.

As for the drinking culture, I’ve never felt pressured in any way. I would say I’m comfortably in between introverted and extroverted and so I go out when I want to and stay in when I want to. There is a laddish vibe to Durham but that’s part of the fun!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed