Theoretical Physics - Differences? Watch

Mithra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey, do you think someone could explain the difference between the normal and theoretical course? I have scoured the webpage and prospectus, and other than at one point a maths taking over a lab subject, a couple more tutorial thingies and adv. classical physics I can't really see any difference? Are there any more or is it just an excuse for another course?
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
theoretical will hurt your head ALOT more... in laymans terms that is
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Labs swapped for a maths unit as you said, and less choice in what options you choose in the later years.
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Pulkpull)
Labs swapped for a maths unit as you said, and less choice in what options you choose in the later years.
. Do you get any 'extra' options per sais? e.g. stuff normal physics doesn't? :p:
Modulus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So is taking theoretical physics worth restricting your options?
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mithra)
. Do you get any 'extra' options per sais? e.g. stuff normal physics doesn't? :p:
No, as far as I'm aware you can do exactly the same course as a theoretical student. You just get a different title.
Newton's cradle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Basically, in first year you have to do the maths analysis module instead of the end of year lab project and in later years you have to do all the theorectical options. Whereas straight physics people are free to choose whichever options they want including the theorectical physics ones providing they have completed the prerequisite courses.
εїз pinga εїз
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Theroetical physics is just where when it comes to the optional modules you pick the theoretical ones. The core stuff is exactly the same.

It doesn't matter one bit which one you apply for either, as you just pick your options when the time comes.
fonzievision
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are on the straight physics course you can take every single Theoretical option, but you are not forced. If you have taken required theoretical units, you can make your degree a Physics with Theoretical Physics one....

There really isn't much difference like people said and I like not being tied down.
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fonzievision)
If you are on the straight physics course you can take every single Theoretical option, but you are not forced. If you have taken required theoretical units, you can make your degree a Physics with Theoretical Physics one....

There really isn't much difference like people said and I like not being tied down.
I just like the fact that I've graduated! w00t

Erm seriously. Just apply for F303, it leaves the most options open. From there you can transfer onto the theory course in the 2/3 year interface, provided you choose more maths in both 1st and 2nd year options.
Chemical_Scum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
theoretical will hurt your head ALOT more... in laymans terms that is
lol really? i thought that was some obscure scientific terminology :rolleyes:. btw OP theres not a great deal of difference, just more emphasis on Math and less labs i expect.
fonzievision
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
F303 Ftw!!!
tuppatopbrer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Theory all the way.

*I seriously disliked lab, I mean breadboards, why...*
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me too, so I went for theory. The only thing is, you can do the lesser amount of lab work in F303 as well, you just choose it.
fonzievision
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What year are you guys?
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't started yet.
shimmy_shimmy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you're all mental, the project was by far the most fun thing i've done all year.
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is this?
shimmy_shimmy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well, it depends on your project of course, but lots of them are really cool... plus i've always quite liked labs (apart from electronics) because you actually get to see stuff happening, to put it bluntly.
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I still don't know whether to change when I get there or not. I'm a bit of a geek and love maths, but some aspects of the lab work sound fun...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads