Nissan Micra Clutch Watch

G.A.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi there,

I'm not a happy girl at the moment. My Nissan Micra, 1993 (Manual 1.0 Shape) car's clutch has gone. I was crawling up a road thinking my tyre had blown, but as I change gears and take the foot off the clutch, it doesn't stall, and the car doesn't move anywhere.

It's stranded outside a park somewhere, and I'm wondering what the best option is. My boyfriend's step Dad was kind enough to take a look at it, and definitely reckons it's a worn out clutch and needs replacing.

How cheap are these? My car was only £400 in the first place, but because I'm completely out of money, I am very worried about the cost of getting this done.

Any advice for me? I'm not even at home, I drove it 100 miles away for my summer job, and my Dad cannot help because I'm so far away. I'm meant to be driving them to the airport soon, it needs a very quick fix, but with the cost of towing it to the garage and repairing it, I am in a bad situation!
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not sure about your particular car but im pretty sure a clutch aint a cheap job, i think its its a couple of hundred quid for it fitted.!
G.A.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeah my thoughts exactly! Don't think I'll get much change from £200, might even be more. It will be half the price of the car!
User68322
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Clutch will probably cost you around 100 to 150 quid. Would be a lot cheaper if you could do it yourself though.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends greatly on the car. It's an hour or two's work in some cars, but others require the gearbox or even engine to be lifted first.

Any decent mechanic should give you a rough idea of the cost for your car - or you can buy a Haynes manual, read it, and decide if you could have a go yourself at a fraction of the cost.
The Hitchhiker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As has been said, ring round a few garages and get a quote and then take it from there.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exactly. It's not a complex job on that car for a decent mechanic. Not sure on price, but as the Hitchhiker says, ring round a few garages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads