The Student Room Group

Your honest opinion on StudyTubers

No harsh feelings are intended, I just think that this discussion needs to be had. So, I don't really watch all StudyTubers, but I've always watched like Vee Kativhu (Oxford uni student) and Eve Cornwell (used to go to Bristol until she lost herself in Coffee-Land). Think I preferred these two to the other ones cause they were entertaining and had strong personalities. However, recently their content has been very interesting....

Vee posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxuH4WIhd3w where she attempts to write "2,500 words in 4 HOURS! - Oxford Uni stress". The issue I have with her is that she always makes these videos on "how to smash A-levels" when she got into Oxford through some scheme, so she is making content on something she isn't exactly an expert on. On top of that, her recent videos always have this "I study at Oxford and so I am dying"vibe.... like NO. You are stressing out and giving your viewers this nonsense content because you have poor time-management issues. She is portraying a very unhealthy relationship with her studies and the impressionable audience - if you bother with the link and go read some comments - comes out with idiotic comments like "you absolute legend"..... ok?? Like you are at uni - one of the top in the country - and instead of engaging with your work, you are rushing it and moaning about it 24/7 because you do work last minute and then you put ALL the blame on your institution. Can't believe it.

Eve - the issue I have with her is that she overdoes the whole "I am a dying student who needs 5 cups of coffee a day, one to wake me up, next 2 to keep me going, 4th to kill me and 5th to resurrect me".... It is okay to struggle but it is not okay to make money on it by 'faking' it and making it seem as if 'dying' whilst studying is a must just so you are 'relatable'. It isn't. I am so puzzled where this nonsense is coming from. I see so many students with their theatrics, "oh my god, Kill me now... i am so depressed" it's a mockery of people who have real issues and severe depression and stuff. Like you are being educated, it is a privilege of your CHOICE (at uni anyways) so why the melodrama??

so what do you think? do you think they are a positive influence?
I kind of agree. I think it’s to get across the “relatable” vibe, which I don’t really like. I personally quite like Jack Edwards, UnjadedJade and Eve Bennett. Whilst they all portray real life (I.e clubbing, stress, etc.), they’re also positive role models in that they advocate the importance of education, which I think is great :smile:
I can't stand people crying about their college tasks and how difficult it is. Sure, it must be difficult in Oxford, but you wanted in... It really just shows that there isn't real passion involved in what they do. It's one of the traits of a typical student attitude and one of the reasons I want in Oxford is to get rid of such people and to actually be around passionate people (Unlike in my high school years). Are such people that I am really hoping for a majority in Oxford? Or this virus is spread all over the world universities? Or maybe I am exaggerating?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending