tattoo? Watch

This discussion is closed.
munchie_rox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i have a tatt on the back of my neck (coverable by hair) is this allowed?
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
seeing as you need to have pretty damn short hair in the armed forces, it probably wont be coverable by hair.

and you are allowed some tattoos in most places, just not all places, but i cant remeber where etc. just ring up the recruitment place thing (whatever its called) and ask them
AC Bloggs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
seeing as you need to have pretty damn short hair in the armed forces, it probably wont be coverable by hair.
Well, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that, going by her picture and the fact she made that statement about the hair in the first place, she's probably female, hence different hair length rules apply.

If it isn't absolutely massive and/or possibly offensive then it shouldn't be a problem, I've seen all levels of rank with 'ink' in various places. When you do eventually go along to the AFCO they'll look at it and give you the final yes/no, but unless it's very conspicuous it's unlikely to bar you from entry I'd think.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AC Bloggs)
Well, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that, going by her picture and the fact she made that statement about the hair in the first place, she's probably female, hence different hair length rules apply.
Women still have to tie their hair up (and I think they have to have it in a bob - Could be wrong!), so it still wouldn't be covered.
AC Bloggs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not always, to be honest I don't know about formal parades (which is when it really matters); but for women as long as the hair is not long enough to touch the bottom of the collar then there's no requirement to tie it up.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not always, to be honest I don't know about formal parades (which is when it really matters); but for women as long as the hair is not long enough to touch the bottom of the collar then there's no requirement to tie it up.
My hair touches my collar (and about an inch further), and as I move the back of my neck is on show, thus it doesn't cover it all the time (Else I wouldn't be sunburnt and it would hurt as much. ). I'm guessing the OP's is longer. xD
AC Bloggs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, the point about the hair covering it isn't really that relevant anyway. If the tattoo is a massive line of bright red lettering saying "******* off" (not implying anything, just an example) then it would be a problem, if it's a tiny little picture of a flower or something it's a lot less likely to matter.
Emmska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whats you tattoo of OP?
tinkerbellejess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The tattoo has to be below the collar.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ahaha, i should really think more before i post
xxRAFNurse2bxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Spotty Dog - Do you mean Bun? (Not bob)

hahaha
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
Spotty Dog - Do you mean Bun? (Not bob)

hahaha
Yes. xD thanks!!
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emmska)
Whats you tattoo of OP?

take a butchers...

may just cover it with make up till i (hopefully) get in...lol
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What does it say?
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
What does it say?

Nichola/Nicola...
GR29KHS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your shirt collar covers it then that should be ok. Tattoos can't be visible in Number 1 dress
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
(Original post by GR29KHS)
If your shirt collar covers it then that should be ok. Tattoos can't be visible in Number 1 dress

It can only be seen with a non collar shirt and hair right up in a bun, i'm going to air on the side of caution and cover it, then i'll declare if/when i get in i think. But thank you for all the help!
FiveFiveSix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, from what I've read of the tattoo regs, it's none on face, neck, hands/forearms, and must not be visible when wearing a t-shirt. If you choose to cover it however, and then declare it later, your integrity will be questioned, and you might even be booted out. The Armed Forces don't like liars. Still, best of luck with whatever you do, but choose wisely.
AC Bloggs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well if forearms is one of the areas tatoos supposedly aren't allowed then it just shows how relaxed they are on that rule. I've met absolutely shed loads of people, ACs through to SGTs and above, arms totally plastered in the things, many of those people being instructors I've had through Halton/Cosford. That one is quite inconspicuous by comparison.

Whether you do put it down on the declaration form is down to you end of the day, but bear in mind you'll have a medical at some point where it might be spotted.
tinkerbellejess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was told that you were allowed tattoos on the arms but not below the wrist (for the army) as someone came in wanting to joing when I was at the AFCO with tattoos all up his arm and he was told it should be ok. But the army wouldn't let you in with that tattoo, I would have thought the RAF would have similar policies.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise