I feel like I'm a horrible person. :( Watch

shotgunkisses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I think I'm going to break up with my boyfriend tomorrow, and it's killing me because I know he'll be devastated. We've been talking tonight, and both got really upset. I just don't like him as much as he likes me, we're very different people and I don't feel that we have a future together. But I still care about him and I don't want to hurt him. Any words of advice would be great, sorry if people have posted about this before.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do what you want to do to make you happy. You'll both get over it in a couple of months. You can't be unhappy to keep someone else happy.
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Be honest with him if the best I can say.

And choose your words carefully.

Make sure you're nowhere crowded when you do it. And speak from the heart....

Erm, that's all the advice I can give at the moment
Wyl
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
It's best not to string him along so you're probably doing it for his long term good (even if in the short term it will hurt him) Also, try to be honest with him about why you are splitting up.
shotgunkisses
Rep:
?
Thanks, I don't know if I can even do it face to face, because I know he'll start crying and I'll feel totally horrible.

I think it's what will make me happy, even though he's a nice guy I'm not really attracted to him any more and there's things about him I don't like. =/
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ahh yeah a close friend was in the same situation about a month ago so I'll tell you what I told her:

he is in no way more important in this relationship than you are - you need to get out to help yourself rather than lead him on any longer which could lead to even more pain...I know you'll feel bad for breaking up with him but you're not a horrible person at all, it's a horrible situation and this is for the best for both of you.

and my friend broke up with her boyfriend and they're now back to being friends and are both happier...good luck!
glow stick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're sure you and him have no future then you are gonna have to hurt him to some extent, just try and let him down as gently as possible even though it'll be very difficult, make sure you're honest above all else.

Remember that time is a great healer. You may feel bad now and for the next few weeks but you have to fight through it because you'll be making a good decision in the long - term, not just for you but for him too, there is no point dragging him along when the relationship is inevitably going to fail.
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if it doesn't seem to be working, break it off. it's always better in the long run
AussieKat
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
You can't avoid hurting him, just don't be nasty about it - thats all you can do. Be gentle x
shotgunkisses
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your comments, it really helps. It's just hard to do this when I still care about him, and he hasn't done anything specifically wrong. Ugh. Breakups suck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise