Funding a Masters Degree Watch

johnb2491
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

I have just finished my 2nd year of a Maths degree at Newcastle, exam results where good (76%) but am now looking to do a masters in some branch of Statistics

However due to my astronomical student loan already I would like this to be funded, I know that there are lots of institutions that do offer funding for Msc's but I was wondering how likely this is for me - my grades at A level where AAA if that helps

Anyone who has experience or just some general advice would be appreciated

Thanks

John
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Funding is pretty limited for postgrad. There's more money in the Sciences/Maths etc than there is in the Arts. There are normally the following options when considering an MA/MSc:

1.) Funding - if you can get it
2.) University bursaries/scholarships (again university and subject dependent)
3.) Bank loans
4.) Self-fund it

A-level results don't really come into it. If you on course for a first, then that would help but even people with firsts get turned down for funding.

ETS: hopefully someone will move this to the postgrad forum and you'll get more replies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt your A level grades will be a factor. It will depend on a lot of things, such as how much work you are willing to put into finding funding, what degree classification you get out of your undergrad, how many people are doing the same masters, etc.
johnb2491
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the reply, I would be willing to do quite alot of work in order to receive funding as my student loan will stand at 18000 at the end of the year so I am pretty wary of adding further to this. Anyone out there with experience of a masters in stats that could give me any ideas about the course funding and the course in general
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads