I feel like my first is completely ruined Watch

Tmkilissa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My flatmates have completely singled me out as they ‘dont want to live with me’ Next year because i complain about noise they make in the hallway at stupid hours of the night as i have 9 ams everyday apart from a thursday and i also have a part time job. Theyve already singled out a guy from the flat and he tells me many times that he feels really awkward to go in to the kitchen and cook. Ive resorted to cooking at really late times and eating in my room as they make me feel so uncomfortable in the living area. They have also talked crap about me to the guy they spoke crap about to me??? Im so devastated with the way my first year has turned out and i also havent made many friends. Im genuinely struggling to cope with university at this point as i feel so lonely.
Do you guys suggest anything to make life a little bit easier?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tmkilissa)
My flatmates have completely singled me out as they ‘dont want to live with me’ Next year because i complain about noise they make in the hallway at stupid hours of the night as i have 9 ams everyday apart from a thursday and i also have a part time job. Theyve already singled out a guy from the flat and he tells me many times that he feels really awkward to go in to the kitchen and cook. Ive resorted to cooking at really late times and eating in my room as they make me feel so uncomfortable in the living area. They have also talked crap about me to the guy they spoke crap about to me??? Im so devastated with the way my first year has turned out and i also havent made many friends. Im genuinely struggling to cope with university at this point as i feel so lonely.
Your first year is just that: your first year. If things didn't go the way you wanted, then you have at least 2 more years to make changes. If you have no one to live with next year, stay in halls (either university-owned or private) again - your flatmates will all be new to you and therefore you'll have a good opportunity to make more friends. Have you taken part in societies or tried to meet up with people on your course?
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you ask to change flats, and maybe look to go to different halls?
Neurocandid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tmkilissa)
My flatmates have completely singled me out as they ‘dont want to live with me’ Next year because i complain about noise they make in the hallway at stupid hours of the night as i have 9 ams everyday apart from a thursday and i also have a part time job. Theyve already singled out a guy from the flat and he tells me many times that he feels really awkward to go in to the kitchen and cook. Ive resorted to cooking at really late times and eating in my room as they make me feel so uncomfortable in the living area. They have also talked crap about me to the guy they spoke crap about to me??? Im so devastated with the way my first year has turned out and i also havent made many friends. Im genuinely struggling to cope with university at this point as i feel so lonely. You still have a way to go in your first year don’t overlook at yourself as the problem; you have a chance to still meet the right people
If they have left you out on occasions just because you tell them off to pipe down the noise then so let it be. Even though, friendships are important, your learning should always come first. They are not considerate that you have 9AMs and a part time job, maybe they don’t deserve you.

Sometimes there’s more peace and glory in solitude. You can broaden your network from people on your course and by joining various societies.
CelqOne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Living in hall you should be expecting to live with ****ty brats. It’s fine and it’s normal. It sucks indeed, but you should seek friends elsewhere, especially with people who genuinely share interests with you. Such as people from same course or clubs such as sports clubs or something.
Like the other said you could request to change hall if you want, but it’s no guarantee you’ll end up with same kind of people.
If you’re ok with living away from hall, you could go to spare room.co.uk and seek a fellow quiet student, then together rent a property to share. You could probably find a place to rent cheaper than hall even.
GeolPhysics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got singled out in first year too so you're not alone. 2nd year I had much better flatmates and by third year I had my own private flat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (98)
70.5%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.79%

Watched Threads