brooklyn6
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Looking for advice or guidance as to whether to stay at university or not.

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now, even though I am only half way through my first semester.

When I applied for uni, I decided to take a gap year as I did not feel ready to leave home and go straight into studying again, especially after I found my A-levels to be very difficult and stressful.
During this gap year, all I did was work, and soon realised that I probably should have gone to uni and everything would have been fine.
So, I moved country, came to university, but am still very unsure whether to stay or not. I miss my life back home as well as not being sure if this is the right career choice for me.
I enjoy my course, although I am finding it difficult, due to the fact that I find it interesting, however i cannot see myself working in this sector in the future.

I am an over thinker and am worried that which ever decision I make, it will be the wrong one.

Sleepless nights and many tears later, I have decided to turn to The Student Room for help.

Any help is appreciated.

Thankyou.
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Why did you make the decision to move country out of curiosity?

I think you should stick it out because it is definitely a new environment, but given you enjoy the course it's clearly a good opportunity to be around new people and have new experiences. Give it some more time. You've had your gap year and you're now enrolled abroad on a course which is a fantastic opportunity to travel and find yourself.

Life is full of taking risks but this course could open doors for you to other career paths.

As long as you find the course interesting and you're at a good uni which you like, you can always do a postgraduate or go into a different career path which you enjoy. In my opinion, you should make the most of your time at uni.
Last edited by cheerIeader; 6 days ago
brooklyn6
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Why did you make the decision to move country out of curiosity?

I think you should stick it out because it is definitely a new environment, but given you enjoy the course it's clearly a good opportunity to be around new people and have new experiences. Give it some more time. You've had your gap year and you're now enrolled abroad on a course which is a fantastic opportunity to travel and find yourself.

Life is full of taking risks but this course could open doors for you to other career paths.

As long as you find the course interesting and you're at a good uni which you like, you can always do a postgraduate or go into a different career path which you enjoy. In my opinion, you should make the most of your time at uni.
I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree with everything you are saying.
The move was due to the fact I grew up outside of the UK where the universities weren't of much interest to me, and therefore moved back.

I just dont want to waste 3 years of my life in a course where will lead me to no where when I could be progressing in other areas of interest. Especially as I am missing my not just my home, but my family and animals too.

I want to give it my best shot, however happiness and well being is everything to me and im just not sure the university experience can offer me that.

Thank you for you're input, it has helped having an outsiders opinion and thoughts.
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by brooklyn6)
I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree with everything you are saying.
The move was due to the fact I grew up outside of the UK where the universities weren't of much interest to me, and therefore moved back.

I just dont want to waste 3 years of my life in a course where will lead me to no where when I could be progressing in other areas of interest. Especially as I am missing my not just my home, but my family and animals too.

I want to give it my best shot, however happiness and well being is everything to me and im just not sure the university experience can offer me that.

Thank you for you're input, it has helped having an outsiders opinion and thoughts.
What course is it if you don't mind me asking? And I mean I understand that, and if it's affecting you that much then consider your other options but overall technology is advanced, your family/friends are a phone call away (Which isn't the same but an alternative solution) and everything you're doing should ultimately be for your future. So think long and hard but overall yeah, this could be a really fun opportunity but go with what your heart wants. Uni isn't going anywhere and you can ultimately go anywhere/at any time given you have the grades. X
brooklyn6
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
What course is it if you don't mind me asking? And I mean I understand that, and if it's affecting you that much then consider your other options but overall technology is advanced, your family/friends are a phone call away (Which isn't the same but an alternative solution) and everything you're doing should ultimately be for your future. So think long and hard but overall yeah, this could be a really fun opportunity but go with what your heart wants. Uni isn't going anywhere and you can ultimately go anywhere/at any time given you have the grades. X
Animal behaviour is the course im studying.
That is exactly why I cant make up my mind whether to stay or not, as im not sure this is what I want, and that it is going towards my future. And youre right in saying that uni isnt going anywhere, and if it came to it, I could probably reapply if i wanted to.

The bottom line is, im very unsure on what I want my career to be or where I want to go with life, and I guess I came to uni to try and discover that. However, it just seems to be making it harder.
Im giving it my best shot and trying to think positive everyday. I think I will wait until Christmas break and then think about it whilst im at home.
Im just struggling with coping with everything and that is where this thought of dropping out came from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads