PooperScooper88
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I have been exploring opportunities for my career next year if I am unsuccessful with my graduate applications. I have completed my MSc in International Development and am, admittedly, unsure what career path I want to go down next. I have applied for graduate programs that I think I would be suited for but none of them have lit that proverbial spark.

Many times on the job hunt I come across English teacher opportunities, particularly in China, that are very attractive. I like the idea of going to Asia and spending a year or two there, albeit China is not the first on my list but there are other destinations such as Indonesia and Malaysia for example.

The programmes seem to offer a full package of accommodation, monthly allowance, and other extras such as holiday pay etc. depending on the programme.

My questions are does any one have any experience with these programmes? Were they good or bad and why? Would you recommend it and if so, which programmes and why?

Lots of questions but I would love to know people's experiences and any advice or guides that they can share!
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve met a fair few people who have done it. The pay and conditions vary enormously between countries so worth checking this out. My guess is that you would not earn a lot in Indonesia or Malaysia, but would on China, taiwan, or South Korea.
CelqOne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t have experience and don’t know much anyone else have.

But what I do know there can be scam agencies, so be absolutely certain and check the agencies thoroughly before going into one. Otherwise they can mess you up good.

In terms of which country you end up going, chances are you’ll get to learn the language which is useful for career, even if you won’t really end up using but it’s a good thing for show off during interview of applications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
18.75%
Labour (374)
43.29%
Liberal Democrats (168)
19.44%
Green Party (48)
5.56%
Brexit Party (22)
2.55%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.35%
SNP (11)
1.27%
Plaid Cymru (7)
0.81%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)