What are my chances of being shortlisted by Oxford? Watch

jncw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a biomed applicant for 2020 entry. I didn't do GCSE but I've already obtained my four A-Level grades (AA*A*A) after completing a one-year course. It was stated on their official website that the chances of being shortlisted majorly depends on your GCSE and BMAT, they will double BMAT weighting for candidates without GCSE. However, I don’t think I have done particularly well in BMAT due to mitigating circumstances, which I have already reported to the exam board. They say that they would view my application holistically, however it seemed to me that they wouldn’t look at my A-Level grades until finishing interviews. What I really want to ask, is about how Oxford sees mitigating circumstances, would it be possible for me to be shortlisted with an average BMAT score in this case? Thanks!

P.S. I am aware that I have already asked this in several platforms and threads, I just want to hear from more people. I’m sorry if this annoyed anyone.
Last edited by jncw; 4 weeks ago
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jncw)
I am a biomed applicant for 2020 entry. I didn't do GCSE but I've already obtained my four A-Level grades (AA*A*A) after completing a one-year course. It was stated on their official website that the chances of being shortlisted majorly depends on your GCSE and BMAT, they will double BMAT weighting for candidates without GCSE. However, I don’t think I have done particularly well in BMAT due to mitigating circumstances, which I have already reported to the exam board. They say that they would view my application holistically, however it seemed to me that they wouldn’t look at my A-Level grades until finishing interviews. What I really want to ask, is about how Oxford sees mitigating circumstances, would it be possible for me to be shortlisted with an average BMAT score in this case? Thanks!

P.S. I am aware that I have already asked this in several platforms and threads, I just want to hear from more people. I’m sorry if this annoyed anyone.
If you did ok in the BMAT, like averagish scores, it is possible that you would still be shortlisted because your grades are quite good. I would say that it is more likely than not, that you get shortlisted, as I think that your grades outweigh the average BMAT score. However, I am not an admissions tutor and am just speculating so don't take my word for it. Seems like you have a chance though so keep hopeful!
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by yankang.qi)
If you did ok in the BMAT, like averagish scores, it is possible that you would still be shortlisted because your grades are quite good. I would say that it is more likely than not, that you get shortlisted, as I think that your grades outweigh the average BMAT score. However, I am not an admissions tutor and am just speculating so don't take my word for it. Seems like you have a chance though so keep hopeful!
I’m worried because it seemed that they wouldn’t care about my achieved grades until I have gone through the interview successfully. Thinking logically, the reason they want your GCSEs is that they want to accurately predict how well you’re going to do in your actual A-Levels — as most applicants are in Year 13 and haven’t got their results yet. If that’s the case, it would be logical that they would take my achieved A-Level grades into account. However, quite a number of people said that my achieved A-Levels will only do me good when they decided to give me an offer, including the Brasenose Admissions Team on the Oxford thread.
Anyway, thanks for helping, are you applying for biomed as well? I’ve seen you on the BMAT thread haha
Rover5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes they won't look at achieved grades. The gcse grades are not just used to work out if your predictions are accurate ie. Translate to actual grades but also look at how you handled a workload across the board, how you achieved in context of the school you took them at together with other contextual data.

The tests inc BMAT apparently gives them the best indication of how you will perform at degree level which is why when there are nor equivalent exams to gcses to compare to they doible weight the aptitude tests.
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rover5)
Yes they won't look at achieved grades. The gcse grades are not just used to work out if your predictions are accurate ie. Translate to actual grades but also look at how you handled a workload across the board, how you achieved in context of the school you took them at together with other contextual data.

The tests inc BMAT apparently gives them the best indication of how you will perform at degree level which is why when there are nor equivalent exams to gcses to compare to they doible weight the aptitude tests.
Then I guess I probably wont be interviewed, thanks for answering. Do you know how would they regard my BMAT score if I have mitigating circumstances?
jncw
Rep:
?
I have heard that Oxford would make an initial shortlist based on the applicants’ GCSE and BMAT, then they would look at other applicants to see if there’re any chance that they have underperformed, provided that I have applied for special consideration for my BMAT due to mitigating circumstances, then the only way for them to assess whether I have underperformed would be looking into my A-Level results and reference letter from previous school. Does that mean that I still stand a chance? Or is that wishful thinking?
Last edited by jncw; 3 weeks ago
jncw
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Update: I got my BMAT today and it’s 6.2, 5.1, 3.5A
Does this mean that I have a chance?
Last edited by jncw; 2 weeks ago
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jncw)
Update: I got my BMAT today and it’s 6.2, 5.1, 3.5A
Does this mean that I have a chance?
I think you have a good chance of being shortlisted, yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you work while at uni?