Is 5 weeks enough for a dissertation Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
We are presenting in 5 weeks, I just found out who my marker is and had a break down. I struggled with the topic and have only written around 1000 words. I don’t really get it yet and I don’t really understand my data analysis and my supervisor has been no help. Am I ****ed or is 5 weeks enough?
grKiro
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you gain self confidence then 2 week enough.......I’ve done it within 5 days.....I know sounds crazy.....even when I look back it seems unreal......let me warn you that I got only B+ for research project....
Anonymous #1
(Original post by grKiro)
If you gain self confidence then 2 week enough.......I’ve done it within 5 days.....I know sounds crazy.....even when I look back it seems unreal......let me warn you that I got only B+ for research project....
Thank you
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you have all your data already then yes it is enough time for the write up.
If you're struggling with data analysis find someone who will help. If your supervisor won't, try someone else.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There was someone here relatively recently who did theirs in slightly less than 48 hours. So it's always possible.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We are presenting in 5 weeks, I just found out who my marker is and had a break down. I struggled with the topic and have only written around 1000 words. I don’t really get it yet and I don’t really understand my data analysis and my supervisor has been no help. Am I ****ed or is 5 weeks enough?
5 weeks is long enough if you plan your time well. Panicking is wasting time, so you need to think of resources you can use or people who you can meet with to provide you with the help you need. If your supervisor isn't helping, then find someone that will - a study skills adviser, a statistician, another academic in your department etc.

Why did you break down when you found out who your marker was?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes, five weeks is plenty of time, but I don't think that's the issue here. You say you've struggled with the topic, 'don't really get it' and don't understand the data analysis. You could have 5 months left and it wouldn't make any difference to whether or not you can successfully complete this.

What is the relationship with your supervisor like? Has it totally broken down? You clearly need some help with this work, but do you have anyone to approach in the department about it, other than your supervisor? A buddy or something? Arranging a meeting where you can talk through what you have, and what you need help with, is crucial I think.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes, five weeks is plenty of time, but I don't think that's the issue here. You say you've struggled with the topic, 'don't really get it' and don't understand the data analysis. You could have 5 months left and it wouldn't make any difference to whether or not you can successfully complete this.

What is the relationship with your supervisor like? Has it totally broken down? You clearly need some help with this work, but do you have anyone to approach in the department about it, other than your supervisor? A buddy or something? Arranging a meeting where you can talk through what you have, and what you need help with, is crucial I think.
My supervisor doesn’t really help and hasn’t responded to my last two emails where I asked her about it, I would meet with her but she said she is full for the rest of the week. I’ve asked the only friend I have who understood it but he is on a placement so it was through text and I didn’t really understand it. I want to complain but even the head of the module just says book and appointment with your supervisor and talk to her about it. Thanks for replying though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads